RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

how to make a custom rc body????

Reply

Old 02-06-2019, 09:25 AM
  #26  
RURC
 
RURC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,701
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post

The chances anyone will look for this type of thread are virtually nil. It’s not a problem to necrobump old posts, but it’s not really worth the effort. The people that would actually try to do this sort of thing are either 80 years old or dead. Just being honest. Very few people are willing to “craft” their own parts these days. I was going to make a body myself years ago and decided against it due to the time and costs it would require. I’m not afraid of scratch building anything, but most people in the Hobby now wouldn’t do it unless they could get it from hobby King or some other junk outfit from China.
Well some of your statement is insulting. I am no where near 80 and I have been doing it for 18 years. I learned it from someone doing it for many years before that. My son has been doing it right along side me and he just turned 19. I have many friends younger and older than I am the make their own bodies. In my world $30 plus for a car body that you are going to destroy is just crazy. I can make bodies for around 5 to 7 dollars each. I make 1/4 scale bodies for about $70. 1/5 scale for about $33. I agree that many people wont do it and that is because they think they cant or dont mind blowing far too much money or are just lazy. It is people like you that have made this forum unpleasant for those of us that will forget more than you will know.
RURC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:45 AM
  #27  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,621
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by RURC View Post
Well some of your statement is insulting. I am no where near 80 and I have been doing it for 18 years. I learned it from someone doing it for many years before that. My son has been doing it right along side me and he just turned 19. I have many friends younger and older than I am the make their own bodies. In my world $30 plus for a car body that you are going to destroy is just crazy. I can make bodies for around 5 to 7 dollars each. I make 1/4 scale bodies for about $70. 1/5 scale for about $33. I agree that many people wont do it and that is because they think they cant or dont mind blowing far too much money or are just lazy. It is people like you that have made this forum unpleasant for those of us that will forget more than you will know.
Perhaps you should have led your original post with a little more background information about yourself and what you do rather than just going the “you’re wrong” premise. Especially with a thread that’s as old as this one is. The fact is whether you can do it as well or better for cheaper or not is irrelevant (cool as hell, but irrelevant). For one thing, this forum is fairly dead. Your not going to see any/much recognition. If that’s what you want, post your business on RCTech. I’ll guarantee you that you will sell tons of bodies because they have heaps of traffic.

Ill also tell you - responding to 9 year old threads on forums usually results in a moderator closing the thread and telling you to start a new one. Why, I don’t know. Probably because folks will see how old the thread is and ignore it. Notice how no one else has responded to your post? I was just trying to give a little realistic advice. I’d love to buy some $10 bodies. I’ve been in the hobby long enough to be considered a dinosaur. I go so far as to stretch the life of my bodies by riveting sheet metal inside to hold them together a little longer because they’re to insanely expensive.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:34 PM
  #28  
RustyUs
 
RustyUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: central PA
Posts: 4,387
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Good job bumping this thread to the top. You never know, maybe someone will see it and say, "hey, I can do that." So what if it's an old thread. I watched a few vids on making bodies over the years. I'll admit, I watched the video linked in this thread since RURC bumped it. I'm a RC dork like that.

As you've found out, you can't win for nothing posting in forums. You'll get complaints from people, because you didn't do this, or didn't do that. Some choose to jump in and add absolutely nothing to the thread.
RustyUs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM
  #29  
RURC
 
RURC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,701
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post

Perhaps you should have led your original post with a little more background information about yourself and what you do rather than just going the “you’re wrong” premise. Especially with a thread that’s as old as this one is. The fact is whether you can do it as well or better for cheaper or not is irrelevant (cool as hell, but irrelevant). For one thing, this forum is fairly dead. Your not going to see any/much recognition. If that’s what you want, post your business on RCTech. I’ll guarantee you that you will sell tons of bodies because they have heaps of traffic.

Ill also tell you - responding to 9 year old threads on forums usually results in a moderator closing the thread and telling you to start a new one. Why, I don’t know. Probably because folks will see how old the thread is and ignore it. Notice how no one else has responded to your post? I was just trying to give a little realistic advice. I’d love to buy some $10 bodies. I’ve been in the hobby long enough to be considered a dinosaur. I go so far as to stretch the life of my bodies by riveting sheet metal inside to hold them together a little longer because they’re to insanely expensive.
I will not argue with you about facts, knowledge, or what I have done. Seeing that you have never done this type of work and look down on those that have or do, you should go stick with attempting to berate in a subject where you may have a real idea about something. When I say "I have been doing this for 18 years" I am only talking about making my own bodies. I have been in RC since the 70's. We used to take the Cox string cars and modify them to run with airplane RC stuff. Do you like brushless motors and lipo batteries? Well your welcome. I was part of the groups that brought this to the RC car area.

As far as response did you see the response from RustyUs? I guess not. Moderators dont just erase or move threads because someone responds. There is a lot of good information on this thread. They will remove individual posts for being bogus. You know like yours are. I hope you get better but dont bother to retort. You have zero ammo in that area.
RURC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM
  #30  
RURC
 
RURC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,701
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Good job bumping this thread to the top. You never know, maybe someone will see it and say, "hey, I can do that." So what if it's an old thread. I watched a few vids on making bodies over the years. I'll admit, I watched the video linked in this thread since RURC bumped it. I'm a RC dork like that.

As you've found out, you can't win for nothing posting in forums. You'll get complaints from people, because you didn't do this, or didn't do that. Some choose to jump in and add absolutely nothing to the thread.
RustyUs
Thank you. The only part that bugs me about him is his disrespectful ways. Information in making bodies is hard enough to decipher without getting information that will make you crazy. Heating up 2mm material is a serious pain in the butt. I have a very large professional vacuum forming machine and it is not easy for us to do here. I cant imagine doing it at home in a oven or with space heaters.

I have been on and off RCU since 2002. I have had my share of guys like him. I dont care as long as I give the right information or help the good people I'll just keep on going.
RURC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 PM
  #31  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,621
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I wouldn’t get very far on a forum like this if all I did was complain. I often am the only one offering help to folks asking for help. And no, I don’t run electric. Too boring. Sorry.

I’m not afraid of eating some crow. But given the state of affairs on RCU, I wouldn’t expect to see too many other folks posting in this thread. Not being a jerk, just realistic. That’s all.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service