Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Noob here, Which buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:32 PM
usrockband

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here, Which buggy?

Hey guys

im new to the whole gas powered rc buggy hobby. However i have exprience with rc vehicles. I am looking at buggys and cannot decide which one i should go for. I dont want to spend alot of money at the moment so ive been looking at 2 cars by Redcat Racing and Exceed RC (Are either any good?) Ive been looking at the 1/10 Exceed Forza, and the Redcat Racing Tornado S30. Im in the $100-250. Im only lookin to mess around with these cars. my neighbor has an ultra one comp pro, or something by ultra one, that is nitro powered. Willl either of these cars compare to that? (it does about 55+ mph)

however if anyone knows of any other model of buggys that are in the price range, have an equal amount of power, and are equally or more relable, all options are wanted!

thanks

Old 05-29-2010, 12:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Noob here, Which buggy?

ORIGINAL: usrockband

Hey guys

im new to the whole gas powered rc buggy hobby. However i have exprience with rc vehicles. I am looking at buggys and cannot decide which one i should go for. I dont want to spend alot of money at the moment so ive been looking at 2 cars by Redcat Racing and Exceed RC (Are either any good?) Ive been looking at the 1/10 Exceed Forza, and the Redcat Racing Tornado S30. Im in the $100-250. Im only lookin to mess around with these cars. my neighbor has an ultra one comp pro, or something by ultra one, that is nitro powered. Willl either of these cars compare to that? (it does about 55+ mph)

however if anyone knows of any other model of buggys that are in the price range, have an equal amount of power, and are equally or more relable, all options are wanted!

thanks

don't go those
a decent buggy costs $280-340 low end (hyper TQ black. Jammin X1x RTR)
you will spend more money in repair and get frustrated and quit seeing those brands you mentioned use low quality parts to keep costs down.
I've read people buy those than complain on how much nitro's cost how they break and how hard they are to tune. you get what you pay for IMO
I've also not read too many people happy with those brands you said after a few months(when the engines take a dump). I've read great reviews on them but they were only ran 2-3 times after breakin(and alot of reviews show busted parts)
the 2 buggies I named will take a beating and keep running.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:40 PM
usrockband

i was suspecting an answer like that. Well then i guess ill go in the price range u listed. Whats good in there that can compare to my friends car?
Old 05-29-2010, 12:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

1/8th scale Buggies the Jammin X1x(I own one) is $340 on amains website, the Hyper 7 TQ Black is $280 on most sites both are by ofna. only isue outta the box with either is the steering servos suck and needs a Metal geared servo (almost any RTR will need a new servo)

if your not dead set on a buggy theres room

Truggies 1/12th scale you can get a jammin .5 CRT you can find them new on ebay anywhere from $140-250. I own one but I made mine brushless so no idea how fast it is with a nitro engine, its a pretty tough truck. Great handling.

ST's MT2 G3. Good truck can go pretty damn fast easy to work on, decent handling. Costs $350ish Personally I'd get a jammin X1 buggy instead.

those are the lower cost ones I can think of
the Jammin X1x comes with everything except nitro and is ready to run outta the box.
Pretty sure the hyper 7 is too.(don't own a hyper 7)
the MT2 you would need a glow warmer and fuel bottle.
Jammin .5 crt I'm not sure what comes in the RTR seeing I bought a kit form. I know it comes with a .12 engine servos and a radio though not sure if it has a fuel bottle and glow plug warmer like the X1 does.

BTW those are ALL 4wd RC's if you go 2wd there a bit cheaper and easier to maintain.(I don't own and 2wd nitros)
Old 05-29-2010, 12:59 PM
usrockband

im likin the jammin .5CRT. found one on ebay for $136.70 (im in canada) how fast do they go mph wise? your brushless one anyway. Do they compare strength and power wise to the other cars u listed? im very interested in this truggy.

thanks alot for the help

edit: found another one on ebay, but its the Jammin CRT .5 PRO for $105.15. whats the difference there?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 PM
SC-RCer

Hey USrockband, welcome to nitro.  Syco has some good advice but remember no one knows your mechanical skills and patience level but you.  I would say that a total R/C newbie should definitely spend a little more money to get a very well-known brand, work with a reputable Local Hobby shop, or preferrably find a local track or club to get the best advice.  A person that's been around the sport for a while and is real hands-on and patient could save some money on some of the lesser brands or even used equipment.  With all that said, I have several Redcats and they have fit my intended use very well.   You can get a RTR 1/8 or 1/10th scale under $250 with a 2.4 ghz radio.   Although if you are serious about hangin with your neighbor at 55 MPH you better be prepared to have much deeper pockets.  Also, one thing to think about is I've put my $200 Redcat Earthquake full throttle square into a tree and it bounced off.  Hit a fence sideways and broke a $1.50 front carrier.  I was doing full throttle power slides on the wet street and hooked a tire and rolled it many many times and only scuffed the body.  If you hit ANYTHING with a $500 Ofna at 55mph, you can do the math with a calculator.
What ever ya end up with, remember your first Nitro R/C won't be your last so just get something that initially fits your wallet and know that you will learn what is best for your particular niche in the hobby. 

Have fun!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SC-RCer

Hey USrockband, welcome to nitro. Syco has some good advice but remember no one knows your mechanical skills and patience level but you. I would say that a total R/C newbie should definitely spend a little more money to get a very well-known brand, work with a reputable Local Hobby shop, or preferrably find a local track or club to get the best advice. A person that's been around the sport for a while and is real hands-on and patient could save some money on some of the lesser brands or even used equipment. With all that said, I have several Redcats and they have fit my intended use very well. You can get a RTR 1/8 or 1/10th scale under $250 with a 2.4 ghz radio. Although if you are serious about hangin with your neighbor at 55 MPH you better be prepared to have much deeper pockets. Also, one thing to think about is I've put my $200 Redcat Earthquake full throttle square into a tree and it bounced off. Hit a fence sideways and broke a $1.50 front carrier. I was doing full throttle power slides on the wet street and hooked a tire and rolled it many many times and only scuffed the body. If you hit ANYTHING with a $500 Ofna at 55mph, you can do the math with a calculator.
What ever ya end up with, remember your first Nitro R/C won't be your last so just get something that initially fits your wallet and know that you will learn what is best for your particular niche in the hobby.

Have fun!!!!!!!!
actually the jammin x1x before I bought it I talked to a guy that him and his friends tried to destroy em. I mean they were launching em off houses, over cars, and doing stupid stuff to justify buying the X2 when it came out. I think they did $3 in damage all I remember is the guy said what they broke and it was pretty stupid and a part that wasn't even needed to drive. They gave up trying to total them and sold em off instead lol The jamin does need a $13 Z-brace though that screws in by the motor cause the engine has the habit of tweaking the chassis from the torque it puts out. Parts supports decent parts from a jammin X2 will fit fine for the most part, as well as a few other buggies from what I hear (not sure which though).

Jammin .5 I will say has a major weakness I found out. Its C-hubs suck ass. I cracked 2 perfectly in half, and there not easily found. Ofna wants $55 for the aluminum's (which I find insanely ridiculous) but found out with a bit of work you can slap HPI MT2 c-hubs on with MT2 GPM aluminum knuckles for a fraction of the price OFNA charges for their aluminum parts. But hell the trucks damn cheap so $25 in parts, and some tinkering will still be cheaper than the alternatives. This thing is HARD to find parts for as a warning. Hell bodies I grab when ever I see em seeing there pretty rare too

MT2 only weakness are the front knuckles for some reason the strip easy but hell the aluminum ones cost $13 for the set so no biggie. But like I said the jammin X1x is a better deal unless your hell bent on owning a 4wd Stadium Truck. Parts supports decent most hobby shops prolly have some in stock or can get them fast.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:18 AM
usrockband

sorry guys, ive narrowed it down to 2 buggys. Either the Ultra LX One, or the Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Black, both are $279.99, everything included. Which would you reccomend?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 AM
tommygun32

Hyper 7 TQ Black IMO.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Hyper 7 TQ Black IMO.
If I was choosing out of the 2 the OP said I'd pick the same
Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Hyper 7 TQ Black IMO.
If I was choosing out of the 2 the OP said I'd pick the same

3rd one for the Hyper 7.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
usrockband

haha, guess i kno which one im gettin! ;P time to work me a** off! (are we aloud to use tht word here?)
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 AM
tommygun32

Yes we are, even the moderators sometimes use the word ass. It is used in prime time TV these days. [:-]
Old 06-02-2010, 06:01 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about another hyper 7 vote!! I have owned 3 of them they are great buggys for the price!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:59 PM
SC-RCer

make sure you let us know how you like Nitro when ya get that Hyper.   That is definitely a BA buggy.  It's a little out of my price range right now but I might start saving up for that one too.

Have fun!!!!