Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

witch car is better ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
miguelcotaque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default witch car is better ?

just ask you witch one is better for you and why thanks
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...tro/Caldera3-0 this is the caldera 3.0 1/10 nitro
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...cano-S30-Truck this the vortex s30 bowth from red cat racing
if you have personal experience i will appreciate
thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: witch car is better ?

i personaly would go with the caldera. but one question. would this be your first hobby class rc?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM
miguelcotaque

yes it will be my first hobby class rc car
i have had some few on the past but any as fast and good
is it wrong ?
thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 AM
neyou86

im not saying electric is better but it is way easier to get into the hobby and your experience will be way better. nitros require a good tuning otherwise you will have nothing but troubles. i personally think you should go electric for your first truck. plug in a battery. turn on the esc, put on the body and go.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redcat is absolute garbage, spend the extra money and pick up a tmaxx or something that will not break every 5 seconds.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: neyou86

im not saying electric is better but it is way easier to get into the hobby and your experience will be way better. nitros require a good tuning otherwise you will have nothing but troubles. i personally think you should go electric for your first truck. plug in a battery. turn on the esc, put on the body and go.
not really I started with nitro and only issues I've ever had were with used engines I got in used RC's. If you get a good nitro to start off with (not heard many good things about redcat nitros) its easy.
Thing is start with a good quality nitro engine and you will have no big issues. Buy a cheap nitro and you will quit VERY fast due to frustration.

Sadly I find electric harder to get running properly than a nitro. I've toasted a few motors in my setups, and made a ESC give off blue smoke (Guess I was running too rich :P) in my quest to get a RC dialed in. Now once you get it setup I will agree its easier cause you don't tinker with it again. But till you get to that point its a pain unless you just buy a RTR and leave it as is.

and to the OP I wouldn't buy either one personally due to redcats less than stellar reputation for durability and parts support. I almost bought a redcat when I started but after reading about them I decided not to.

Are you dead set on a 1/10th scale monster truck?
If not you might want to look at the hyper 7 TQ black which is $50 more than the caldera its a 1/8th scale buggy that will take way more abuse. or there is the Jammin .5 CRT RTR which is a 1/12th scale truggy for $189 at amainhobbies.com

incase you wanna see the 2 I mentioned
Hyper 7 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRUS1&P=ML
Jammin .5 CRT http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ini-Truggy-RTR
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 PM
neyou86

i guess i have to agree with you syco venom. i my first was a redcat nitro buggy. nothing but troubles. never could keep the motor running long enough. not a bad start for $40. then i got some brains and traded for my rustler. would never go back. but now i kinda want a nitro. i like having to tune. the rusty you just have to do up keep. i would recomend going to a more name brand though. got to your local hobby shop and see what brands they carry. then go with one of those brands.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Which witch is which, which witch is which ,
Which witch is which, I just can't telllll!

This spam brought to you by:

Neither! I think you'll be much more happier getting a product that your LOCAL hobby shop stocks parts for. While I have no say on Redcats having never owned one, I can tell you that you will come to a time when you break something, or need help locally from someone and a hobby shop would be the easiest way to get things going again. If your hobby shop carries Redcat PARTS (not the r/c itself but parts... lots of them) then fine, pick any one and go for it, they're basically the SAME chassis just different setup and tires.

But most likely as it's been mentioned, tuning a cheapy nitro can sometimes kill the fun if its poorly made. I had good fun with my CEN mt2 but the Traxxas Pro 15 engine I got for my Nitro Hawk later sucked bad, barely held a tune over 1 tank...

I would suggest you look into something like the nitro HPI Firestorm, it's 2wd but from what I understand it is much better quality and tough too. There is also the Nitro Savage or Tmaxx 3.3 etc., if 4 wheel drive is your thing.

On the electric side there's tons of good trucks and cars. Again you don't want to overwhelm yourself by getting something that you may not quite be able to understand/maintain initially at least. E-Firestorm, Rustler, Stampede, Slash, Blitz, are all great 2wd and tough trucks, electric, and inexpensive and simple to work on. On the other hand you have E-Savage, E-Maxx, Slash 4x4, that are more expensive up front, and can be a little intimidating to work on at first (though the Slash 4x4 is probably the simpler of the 3 trucks), but are also just as much fun, more capable off road if you really want 4wd, and can cost a little more in maintenance. The Emaxx and Esavage do use 2 batteries...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer
The Emaxx and Esavage do use 2 batteries...

And have a tendency to snap in half...

I say call your lhs, or find one and call, and see what has parts.Though, most of the time my lhs(hobbytown) doesnt carry the part i need.Specifically, my detta.I strip gears like you wouldnt believe, and they dont carry duratrax.[:@] But if you dont mind waiting 5 or so days for your car to run, just get whatever.Dont let parts support keep you from getting the car you want.If you really like that car, just go for it and wait.Nothing wrong with that. But if your gonna get a redcat, just be warned the cheap engines they put in their nitros(Theyre not the only brand) are notorious for being hard to tune and being a real pain.But if you have a lot of patience, and dont mind messing with it and retuning every time you run, if you really like the look of the redcats go for it.But something simpler is way easier on someone new to the hobby, and typically is more enjoyable and makes them stick with it.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 PM
miguelcotaque

ok i thimk is clear i i don´t have to get any redcat i like them when i see them on internet they seem to be good but now i know there not i also notice a nitro car can a headache cause i dont have any hobbyshop where i live :S  i can buy some parts but not all so i was thinking on buying a electric if you have one im mind i will appreciate thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Check the thread you put up about electrics...
Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Bluethunder3320

get an mgt, theyre solid, tough bricks...