Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I'm starting to get iffy with this hobby...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I'm starting to get iffy with this hobby...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 AM
supamagician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm starting to get iffy with this hobby...

Well, I have a nitro 1/8 buggy. All I could afford was an old Ultra Comp buggy...not competitive at all...but could still race if I wanted. Well, I decided that nitro isn't for me...I want to go back to electric sooo I am trading my buggy for 2 Losi XXX-T's and an XXX-NT for parts. I figured, hey, one truck will be my girlfriends and the other I will make into an XXX-SCT so I can bash AND race in Mod 2WD SCT class...

...WRONG...

I called the hobby shop and they said they only race 1/8 nitro buggy, 1/8 electric buggy, 4x4 SCT, and sometimes truggy. SOOOOO now I can't race unless I race with 4x4 SCT (they said they'd let me do that). Well from what I read, even with brushless, there is probably no chance in hell that I would place with the 4x4 SCT's.

What do y'all think??

Between this problem, and the fact that no one at the only other hobby shop will ever help me and they're alway d**** to me...I'm starting to get irritated with this hobby...

...rant over LOL
Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 AM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: I'm starting to get iffy with this hobby...

You missed the other thread lol

See if theres another track near you.Thats what i would do.Dont give up.Our addiction definitely has ups and major downs.Oops, i mean hobby. See if theres another place to race, if not well, you can always build your own track, or just bash the crap out of the trucks like alot of us do.

700th post!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 AM
supamagician

Well the track is the closest one to me and it is an hour away. All the other tracks here are upwards of 1 1/2 hours away. I'd love to build my own track, but no room

There was a track down the street from me but it closed The hobby shop is still there though. That is the closest one with out going an hour away!

They're always rude to me like the owner tells me how my buggy is old and crap and I need to spend $$$$$ on an XRAY kit or $$$$$$ on a Mugen kit...he doesn't understand (even though I have told him numerous times) that I am 17 and don't have that kind of money...I am DANG lucky to have what I have.

Then one time, there was one person in the shop other than me. there were 3 guys working. One guy was helping the people, another was watching and the third was sitting in a chair doing nothing. They told me they were too busy to help me tune my buggy. I asked if I could just fire it up and them listen to it and tell me how it needs to be tuned. He told me that he, and the guy working on the car was busy. He asked the other guy if he could help me and he said no because he was waiting on someone to get to the hobby shop.

They were too busy....to LISTEN to my buggy...???? [sm=48_48.gif][X(]
Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 AM
qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: supamagician

Well the track is the closest one to me and it is an hour away. All the other tracks here are upwards of 1 1/2 hours away. I'd love to build my own track, but no room

There was a track down the street from me but it closed The hobby shop is still there though. That is the closest one with out going an hour away!

They're always rude to me like the owner tells me how my buggy is old and crap and I need to spend $$$$$ on an XRAY kit or $$$$$$ on a Mugen kit...he doesn't understand (even though I have told him numerous times) that I am 17 and don't have that kind of money...I am DANG lucky to have what I have.

Then one time, there was one person in the shop other than me. there were 3 guys working. One guy was helping the people, another was watching and the third was sitting in a chair doing nothing. They told me they were too busy to help me tune my buggy. I asked if I could just fire it up and them listen to it and tell me how it needs to be tuned. He told me that he, and the guy working on the car was busy. He asked the other guy if he could help me and he said no because he was waiting on someone to get to the hobby shop.

They were too busy....to LISTEN to my buggy...???? [sm=48_48.gif][X(]
Yeah there arent any tracks close to me either so i feel ya there.The people in the hobby shop being [:@][:@][:@][:@]s, well, they just want to make money and get paid and dont give a damn about helping anyone.Again, i know how that feels.[] As far as questions like tuning and whatnot goes, just ask here.Were a little nice than they are
Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 AM
supamagician

LOL well that is good to know. Yeah my stepdads savage hasn't been drivin in about 2 weeks because they wouldn't help us and we aren't sure how to tune it and it sounds horrible. We don't want to ruin the engine so it has just sat []
Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 AM
qoisdhc oqina

Set it back to factory.If you cant find it just give me the name of the truck and/or engine and ill dig em up for ya.Im sure we could help.What exactly is it doing?

Btw, 2 am here.Off to bed. Im sure someone else can help you out if not ill check in on this in the morning.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 AM
supamagician

It is idling UBER fast. BUT it is SUPER peppy and fast. It's a Savage X 4.6.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

back off on the idle screw until its idles down. remember that nitros run at a high rpm. i wouldnt worry about the idle as long as the clutch isnt engaging. set it up on a block and if the wheels spin back it off.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

either your idles set too high, or your lsn is too lean........as stated above, go back to factory carb settings and retune.  also check your throttle trim on your radio, make sure its set to close the carb when you let off throttle, otherwise it will be in a constant accelleration.

In the off chance you installed a new clutch ( I just had this problem) make sure your shoes are installed correctly...if they are upside down, your clutch will engage at very low rpm, leading you to believe your idle is way too high.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM
qoisdhc oqina

Ok the hsn and lsn are both flush, and the hsn has a line on it to tell you exactly where it goes.Its a lil groove it should be flush with that.The lsn flush with the body/casing around it, and idle screw flush as well.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well also make sure the idle gap in the carb is set to 1mm bigger it will idle high lower it will cutoff

I found the factory settings on a Savage X to be pretty damn rich I had to lean mine out to do proper breakin personally cause I wasn't able to get it over 120 with the stock settings.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:44 AM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

wow flush for the hsn. that sounds extremely rich. i thought most engines the stock setting was flush lsn and 3 turns out on the hsn.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

stock settings differ from engine to engine....example, my lrp .30 is 2.75 turns out on the hsn and 2.25 out on the lsn (they call it the msn though)

ORIGINAL: neyou86

wow flush for the hsn. that sounds extremely rich. i thought most engines the stock setting was flush lsn and 3 turns out on the hsn.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

stock settings differ from engine to engine....example, my lrp .30 is 2.75 turns out on the hsn and 2.25 out on the lsn (they call it the msn though)

ORIGINAL: neyou86

The nitro star has a msn along with an lsn.

The stock is pretty rich, but they made all the screws flush to make tuning easy and be easy to get back to factory...Or so they say...
They do differ, the velocity on my street force was 3 1/2 i belidve.Ive had other 2 1/2,some 3, it varies.