Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Charging lipo

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Lurp06x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging lipo

ok so i just started lipos today. i got a Fantom 2s 5400mah 25c lipo and a onxy 230 charger with an electrafly balancer. i know i have the charger setting right i went over 15 times before i charged it. but my question is when it was charging i basically sat next to it the whole time watching it charge. and around 36min it was fully charged the volts were up around 9v or lower i cant remember but what puzzled me was that the mah on it was only at 2600mah on the screen. also when it was charging the current slowly was dropping it started at 5.4a and was down below 1a buy the time it was finished.

Is this normal? after the charge i put it in my rc and it was ripping so i assume that from the results of the rc that it was a complete charge but i want to double check.

ow yeah and shorting the battery. when sodering and putting the leads in to the plug they touched and sparked two or three times (not on purpose) but the package an label on the batt says not to do this like it could catch fire after a period of ten mins.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Charging lipo

When changing the plugs on the 3 lipos i have, i shorted them all at least once.[:@] They have all been fine for months, i would just keep an eye on it for a lil bit.First time theat happened it scared me to death.Damn near gave me a mild cardiac infarction Did you time the battery?Or have you ran it before to compare it?The chargers will go down in amps as it chargers, as it nears full charge it will come down alot, its called a trickle charger, it slowly tops off the battery.As far as the charging stopping, well, when i charge my trx packs for my maxx, both chargers ive used kept stopping, i believe its false peaking.Not 100% though,sounds like whats yours is doing.I just keep hitting charge until its close tot he rated capacity, or close to how well i know they charge and the average mah.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Lurp06x

when you say time it do you me run time or charge time. charge time was around 36min. but run time i ran it about 10min then came back inside to check how things are i didnt feel like puching my battery to hard. and i remembered that i needed to find out on my esc if the lipo cut off was on. i didnt know if it is always on or i need to program it to turn on. i got a mamba max.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Not sure you most likely have to program it.Time it as in runtime.Have you ran the battery before?If so how long did it last?Was it the first time you charged the battery?If so it couldve had a lil charge in it already.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Lurp06x

yeah this was my first time charging it and i didnt take it on a full run.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

LiPo batteries are shipped partially charged, so your first charge won't take as long as when you're charging it from empty. The mAh rating on the display - did this go up as your battery charged? If so, then it makes sense that your battery didn't take the full amount, since it came partially charged. A good smart charger will do exactly what yours did - start off charging at high amps and slow down as the battery fills up. This makes taking the charge easier on the battery, so it won't heat up as much and improve overall longevity.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Lurp06x

ok thats what i wanted to know. yes the mah slowly increased on the lcd screen as it charged and the amps decreased as it got closer to the end.

yeah i never had a decent charger before.

and so then on i can assume that my charger is working just fine then.