Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Ebay Key Chain Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Revashley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Key Chain Camera

Hey all, I posted this on RCtech but I also figured I'd post here.I bought this ebay key-chain camera about a week ago andput inside a few of my vehicles. I couldn't find too much info on it around here, so I just went ahead and splurged the whooping $20.00 for it and hoped for the best. I must say, I am really surprised by the results. I think for what it is, the quality is good enough. It survived a beating, and I even sunk it on another boat (I had to let it dry out, but once it did, it worked just fine). So I just figured I'd post the results in case anyone was curious and looking to get one. The picture I'm attaching is the one I got and recommend. I won't put the seller on here, cause I don't want to advertise, but there's a few selling them on ebay... Lastly, the video is in my traxxas 2wd slash, and my dad's Nitro hydroplane Miss Vegas...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0pl0v9m9g[/youtube]
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ebay Key Chain Camera

I actually just got one off hobbyking for $14 (they had a special) that has a 2 gig sandisk card in it. Mine was labeled turnigy, and supposedly does 640X480 res (yet to take it out and try it)
I figured at $14 couldn't go wrong seeing the micro SD card I paid $15 for when I needed a 2 gig one once
Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

Decent video quality for the price, and the end-mounted lens is perfect for strapping this onto a vehicle. HK sells these with a 2GB microSD card for $15 - I may just have to add one to my next order from them.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 PM
teacher brent

I can't find it, can you post a link?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Revashley

ORIGINAL: teacher brent

I can't find it, can you post a link?
Well, I won't post a link to a specific seller because I don't want to advertise, but I will post this link from ebay... Its a search of the r.c. with the keyword "camera" ...
There are some sellers selling it there

toys.shop.ebay.com/i.html

Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Spetz

Surprisingly good for the price!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM
RevDWC

I know I couple of guys in our local rc stockcar club who've tried these. www.youtube.com/watch
Acouple have cameras have died but that was more due to poor mounting and the fact its full contact racing. Great camera for the price so I ordered a couple for myself.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Nik.

my friend has one of those cameras and he says the drivers don't work on his computer, what are you using? maybe you could host the drivers somewhere
Old 07-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Revashley

ORIGINAL: Nik.

my friend has one of those cameras and he says the drivers don't work on his computer, what are you using? maybe you could host the drivers somewhere

Hmmm... Well I'm using a mac, and to tell you the truth, I just connected the camera and the mac recognized it as a usb storage device. If your friend is having trouble connecting the camera, I would recommend just getting a micro sd card reader and just put the micro card in that and attach it via usb... That way, you are bypassing the camera that is needing the drivers. I think that should work, but don't quote me

Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Candre23

Placed my order from HK a couple days ago. Here's an in-depth review video pointing out some of the strengths/weaknesses compared to another mini spy cam, and instructions on how to set the time/date:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWU3ec4-p4c[/youtube]

And here's a teardown video of what I believe is an older version with built-in memory instead of microSD support:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8_0NuGkioI[/youtube]

And here is a third video comparing the two different versions of the 808 keychain camera (640x480 vs 720x480):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MX_IxspkSM[/youtube]

The one sold by HK (the one I'll be receiving) is the 640x480 version. The picture looks a bit darker and yellower, with noticeably less detail. The up shot is that it is significantly smoother and less juddery, which I think is much more important for something that is going to be strapped to a RC truck and bounced around constantly.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:53 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Revashley

ORIGINAL: Nik.

Hmmm... Well I'm using a mac, and to tell you the truth, I just connected the camera and the mac recognized it as a usb storage device. If your friend is having trouble connecting the camera, I would recommend just getting a micro sd card reader and just put the micro card in that and attach it via usb... That way, you are bypassing the camera that is needing the drivers. I think that should work, but don't quote me

I use windows 2000 and it detected it as a generic USB drive so unless he's using linux or trying to get it to work as a webcam(there are supposedly drivers for that) I don't see what drivers would be needed
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Candre23

If he's still using an ancient version of windows, such as 98 without the later service packs, generic USB storage drivers might not be included. If this is the case, see [link=http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php]here[/link] for the solution. Honestly though, his best bet is to upgrade to a machine made sometime in the last decade.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Candre23

My keychain camera showed up today. I tried fixing the date/time as per the youtube video I posted above, but it didn't work. In searching for a solution to the problem, I found the most ridiculously exhaustive compilation of information on this camera and it's variants. I guess it's true that there is no subject so obscure that somebody somewhere won't make it their life's work to become an expert in it. Absolutely everything you could ever want to know about these cameras can be found here: http://www.chucklohr.com/808
Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 AM
jatoracing33

ORIGINAL: Candre23

My keychain camera showed up today. I tried fixing the date/time as per the youtube video I posted above, but it didn't work. In searching for a solution to the problem, I found the most ridiculously exhaustive compilation of information on this camera and it's variants. I guess it's true that there is no subject so obscure that somebody somewhere won't make it their life's work to become an expert in it. Absolutely everything you could ever want to know about these cameras can be found here: http://www.chucklohr.com/808

...who has that much time on their hands?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:33 AM
genitor

Wow!!
That is ridiculous!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Candre23

Finally got around to taping this thing to the top of my stampede and giving it a go. The result, in a word, is nauseating. It's essentially a blurry slideshow with distorted audio. I'm hoping it's simply a matter of getting a decent class 4 microSD card to replace the fake sandisk that came with it. I ran a test on the card to make sure it was even 2GB, and while it is error-free, the write speed never broke 1.5MB/sec. That's pretty bad, and I'm sure that is at least part of the reason that it's dropping more than half the frames. Here's a dreadful 40 sec clip that I was too embarrassed to stick in my youtube account:

http://drop.io/yf7xkfb/asset/camtest1-avi
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Candre23

Yep, it was the crappy microSD card. Picked up a PNY class 4 4GB card and now all is good. Here's a video taken with the camera taped to the roof of my stampede. It's still very jittery, but that really can't be helped when you're driving off road. At least it's not dropping the majority of frames any longer.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDDzCk736w[/youtube]
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i need a cam that will work with my windows 7 OS. i only see them working with up to Vista...any help please ?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I bought one of those things off their own website, themicrocamera.com, and mounted it on my CEN MT2. Pretty good camera for 30 bucks shipped, considering it's size.

You can see the video I recorded here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfqmEKcKmDk[/youtube]

Not a bad little camera. Getting the footage off is easy, works on both 7 and Vista, as it represents as a thumb drive when you connect it.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Devils-Reject

wow very nice picture for the price
Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Candre23

It'll work with any version of windows. I have no problem pulling videos off mine on Win7.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: SigMan

i need a cam that will work with my windows 7 OS. i only see them working with up to Vista...any help please ?
Most devices that are compatable with Vista are USUALLY compatable with Windows 7. Not always, but usually. If there are no Win 7 drivers, just use the Vista ones.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Devils-Reject

I SOO WANT ONE OF THESE FOR MY AIRPLANE
get some aerial footage of my house and around town
Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Revashley ~ Nice man, I just found it on ebay. Definately getting one of these. Your video quality looks GOOD for a cheap 17 bucks shipped! I've been looking for something just like this!! THANKS!!!