Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Off Roader

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 AM
rasper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Roader

ok, so this is my first post in this section of the forum so ill start off by saying that im very happy with what i got in my off road truck.

First off, i got me one Himoto 1:10 SCALE 4WD ELECTRIC POWERED RADIO CONTROLLED OFF-ROAD TRUCK, , thinking that im maby buying a piece of crap car, as it looked rather cheap on the order, and on the price. Now let me start by saying that here in south africa, himoto is one of the "cheaper" makes of rc to buy, and it includes spares aswell..... even less expensive than Tamiya........ to put it in perspective for you guys...a tamiya bigfoot goes for about R2600 (R=Rand), thats about $350, give or take a couple of bucks. And i bought my Himoto for R2000 plus a free peak charger and spare battery.......thats about $255.50....NEW!!.....
It had a std 540 silver can, with all std electronics in it, but it wasnt what i was looking for as the speed was....well...........SLOW.......So...after a week of playing with it to get it to "run" in so to speak, I swaped the motor for a Tamiya 19T motor as the stock esc can handle 13T or higher, and connected a small fan nex to the esc to keep it cool and a back mounted alu radiator plate to disperse the heat better...(works like a bomb).....then did the gearing for torque, and roca bearings for wheels and centre shaft, sprayed the motor with silicon spray on the bushes, and aplied some(a thin layer) electrical contact grease to the com..(this i find doesnt wear down the brushes so fast and has better contact to the com)
Ive had it now for just over a year, and campared to my cousin's very expensive Traxxis and my buddy's Tamiya, ive had the least breakdowns, wear and tear and best overall performance from my himoto....even though its cheaper than theirs, it gives them a run for there money. recently ive been playing with gears and whatnots and the suspention, and will test it out soon, as we have a private chalenge between us to see whose electric truck can climb the furtest on a 40deg(aprox) angle sand heap....only two rules...the same tyres must be used that means sand diggers are a no go and you get a 5m running start......... should be interesting to see!!!!

Thanks for reading my little post
Rasper....

Oh......the pic is not mine, but the one from the Himoto web page.........i got my an old R32 Skyline basher shell on mine
any help on getting more speed without going brushless will be highly apreciated.......
Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Off Roader

Glad you like your truck bro.   Besides trying some different pinion gears i would say the battery is the next best upgrade, i only run lipo now, i use a 7.4 5000mah 30c - 40c with the stock setup and it works fine, big difference between the nimh or nicd.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

if you are patient enough to wait a couple of weeks, you can get lipos for really cheap at HobbyKing
[link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp]http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp[/link]

check out their Turnigy hard case lipos - you get 5000 mAh 2S 20, 30 or 40C fro $20 to $25 - be sure to watch the stock levels and order ones that are in stock unless you do not mind waiting a bit longer
Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 AM
rasper

Thanx guys. Lipos are on my list, but its cheaper to buy it here than to import them. Customs charge you the same price for importing as buying.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 AM
kuppler

hobby kind marks things as GIFTS... so you dont have to pay custom fees. when they send the items to you they put the senders name with your last name so it looks like a family member is sending you a birthday gift. so no charge.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM
rasper

that i did not know.........then at that price, im deffenately byuing from them some batts and a charger...........
Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 PM
kuppler

yea when i got my 1st order i looked at the info and the sender was Jon McKinney. thats my last name and it said B-Day gift. few months later i placed another order and same thing but it was a girls name Heather McKinney also marked as GIFT...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 AM
rasper

mmmmm....interesting.....i wonder just how big can the package be.......wait....ill send them a mail real quick to find that out.
Thanks guys....