Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do you get offended when someone calls your RC "toys"?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
No offence taken, they're toys for everyone.
42.11%
They're toys but not for kids.
26.84%
They're HOBBY PRODUCTS, thankyouverymuch.
17.89%
None of the above, they're..........
13.16%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Do you get offended when someone calls your RC "toys"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do you get offended when someone calls your RC

To me they are a toy that requires a lot of skill to maintain at times, but they can put a great smile on your face just like a happy kid. Being single I almost always buy my self an rc toy to put under my christmas tree, I love getting a toy for christmas.

As far as people who try to be little you, hey it beats the heck out sitting in a bar every weekend, and for the people who lay the responsibility trip thing on ya, usually your friends who are married and have kids etc, you chose to get married not me. I don't want to grow up Im a toys or us kid.

In all seriousness though I tell people I want grow up and be a fishing bum, my other hobby. You only go around once so live life with no regrets!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first page of my Sig LT-40 instruction manual says This Is Not A Toy!. I guess the liability lawyers don't thing they're toys.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get people asking me about my cars and planes all the time.Usually kids.I get "Thats a cool toy" or something similar all the time, and me not liking people much, () usually just say "Yep" because i dont have the time or energy to argue, as much as i like arguing with people. The things i get the most are #1,"How fast?", #2 "How much?" and finally, the stunned silence and shocked looks when they see one of my bl's fly down the road full throttle and i tell em its electric.As someone else said, most people fairly unaware and uneducated in hobby grade rc's seem to think gas are better and faster than electric.I guess when you're used to walmart and toyz r us "Toys" and you see even a cheap old out of tune nitro you get that idea.I think the most fun for me is when someone comes up when i had/have/occasionally run my nitros.Specifically the big 1/8th scale monsters.Love it when they ask a few questions and we talk a lil or hardly at all, and i fire it up and see em high tail it the opposite direction like they say a ghost. Even my lil onroads get people backing up when i run em.

"Toys" Usually cant cause the harm that our vehicles do.I can only imagine what my warbirds or one of my big helis would do if the blades got a hold of someone.[:@] Thatd be bad.Even my smaller helis would cause some damage.Same goes for my cars.My detta is a a strict speed runner,and one of my quickest if not the quickest car, and even that could break something if it got out of control going that fast.Ive been hit by my maxx before, not very fast at all, and it still hurt.I cant imagine that thing wide open slappin someones leg.They'd have a lot of damage and a new understanding and attitude towards our "Toys".
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Interesting how we're all talking about how the relative cost, complexity, speed, power, and amount of damage it could do to a slow spectator are what differentiate our cars, helis, and planes from "toys". I think it's something deeper, something that RC guys who've been infected with the bug (which is pretty much ALL RC guys...) share, but find hard to explain. I think it's a sense of wonder and awe at the beauty and speed and grace of these machines, that we build them and control them remotely, and that they can actually do what we ask them to do. I'm a plane guy, and I find flying my planes can be a beautiful, almost spiritual experience. It's simply an amazing feeling, deeper than just "fun", and it's a feeling I want to experience everyday. And you just can't explain it to someone who passes you buy and blurts out, "nice toy".
Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Interesting how we're all talking about how the relative cost, complexity, speed, power, and amount of damage it could do to a slow spectator are what differentiate our cars, helis, and planes from ''toys''. I think it's something deeper, something that RC guys who've been infected with the bug (which is pretty much ALL RC guys...) share, but find hard to explain. I think it's a sense of wonder and awe at the beauty and speed and grace of these machines, that we build them and control them remotely, and that they can actually do what we ask them to do. I'm a plane guy, and I find flying my planes can be a beautiful, almost spiritual experience. It's simply an amazing feeling, deeper than just ''fun'', and it's a feeling I want to experience everyday. And you just can't explain it to someone who passes you buy and blurts out, ''nice toy''.
Wow...That was, very poetic.Adds a whole new dimension to differentiating between the two...Huh.