Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do you get offended when someone calls your RC "toys"?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
No offence taken, they're toys for everyone.
42.11%
They're toys but not for kids.
26.84%
They're HOBBY PRODUCTS, thankyouverymuch.
17.89%
None of the above, they're..........
13.16%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Do you get offended when someone calls your RC "toys"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:52 AM
13BT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you get offended when someone calls your RC "toys"?

A poll for fun to get everyones opinions.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you get offended when someone calls your RC

They are toys, You play with them. Guess the wifes a toy too
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

niiiiice lol

its a double standard, we can call them toys or remote control (big pet peeve for some guys) but outsiders have to call them hobby grade radio control cars or some form of that
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
The Mad Modder

People refer to full size cars as toys, so why not RCs? Granted they are more sophisticated than the radio shack cars that we refer to as toys, but really anything that you play with can be called a toy.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i gently state that toy RC's dont cost (however much the current RC im using does)
then i add that you can buy replacement parts and upgrades.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
TIGER76

Had no one calling the baja a toy when its getting close lol
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They are toys. Granted they are expensive, fast and fun but at the end of the day they are JUST toys.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i say the only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys. Friends I know are into real cars and i still call those toys as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

i say the only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys. Friends I know are into real cars and i still call those toys as well.
yeap, that pretty much sums it up
Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
CRAZYMASON

you can call them toys but really expensive toys, im a kid myself im 12 but ive been doin this hobby for about 2 years.  but i also am a motorcycle machanic so i do all my own work and work for all my money.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rich people call Ferrari, Lambos and Jet toys too!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
jermpool

If it goes under 20 mph you can call it a toy
Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 PM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's all toys to me, rc's, guns, real cars, booze, women, dogs, basically anything that makes me happy is a toy. the wife is the same as that rc car that always lets you down on the last lap.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM
jatoracing33

I don't get offended. Yea, there's "toy grade" and "hobby grade," but in the end they are unnecessary objects used for amusement, or in other words, toys. Arguing that they aren't toys is like the PS3 vs. Xbox argument, everyone loses. Granted, alot of people will see how fast these things go and realize they aren't little kids toys, so it's not like they judge you like that.

Actually, I really don't care how people judge me
Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

it's all toys to me, rc's, guns, real cars, booze, women, dogs, basically anything that makes me happy is a toy. the wife is the same as that rc car that always lets you down on the last lap.[img][/img]
[X(][X(][X(]
Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Blkft1

I think it funny when someone walks up to me and ask sarcastically "How OLD are you!?!" when I running my stuff. Personally it none of thier business but I usually say "Old enuff to know better but too young too care[".
Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

Everybody needs a hobby to blow off steam. I could be playing golf, but RC cars are actually cheaper, a lot more fun, and I don't have to wear silly pants. Call them toys if you want, it's not going to make me enjoy it any less.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90393.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1466943  
Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jatoracing33

I don't get offended. Yea, there's ''toy grade'' and ''hobby grade,'' but in the end they are unnecessary objects used for amusement, or in other words, toys. Arguing that they aren't toys is like the PS3 vs. Xbox argument, everyone loses. Granted, alot of people will see how fast these things go and realize they aren't little kids toys, so it's not like they judge you like that.

Actually, I really don't care how people judge me
Everyone knows the Wii is better

Can care less if people call my toys toys dammit. I called a 1968 skylark I was trying to rebuild a toy. Just turned out RC's are a hell of alot cheaper, and more space friendly than trying to rebuild old wrecks

Only thing that irks me is when some stranger asks how fast does it go, how much it costs(usually followed by a gasp when you say), than proceeds to ask to drive it...
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
ZachB10
My Feedback: (9)

I guess you could call them toys, but I prefer not to call them toys.  

When you call something a toy people typically lose respect for it.  When you have a rather powerful engine swinging a prop at high RPM that could break your finger or take off the tip, I personally believe it stops being a toy.  Sure, people call their cars, planes, etc. a toy, and I guess at the end of the day when it's said and done, you can consider it such, but I try to appreciate the hobby for what it is  - enjoyment of aircraft.  Model / scale aircraft, not necessarily toys.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
SAVAGEJIM

For me, I define toy and hobby as two different things. Many will disagree and claim that anything that is for entertainment is a toy. But even though both a toy and a hobby are both entertainments, I consider them separate for the following reasons:

A toy can be played with, but little or no responsibility is required; just use and play, and put away.
A toy is rather simple to use and is basically harmless unless purposefully misused (i.e. a child hitting his own head with a wooden train)

A hobby item is much more involved; takes skill and requires more attention and care to do.
A hobby can be dangerous, so responsibility is required. Imagine a 12lbf Savage running into your leg at 40MPH! You can break your leg! And don't you dare drink nitro fuel or overcharge your LiPo batts overnight!
A hobby requires more active attention: the responsibility of maintenance and repair. You cannot just simply put it away and be done wit it. Well you can, but your RC will in a matter of weeks begin to have problems.
The skill aspect of a hobby takes many forms, from knowing how to set-up your suspension (cambre, caster, ackerman, droop, toe-in/out, shock oil choice, shock spring choice, swaybar choice, tire choice, etc.), tuning your engine (basic needle tuning, plug choice, head shim count choice, fuel choice, pipe choice, pipe header length choice), choosing the right gears, and even if you have the perfect RC and the perfect set-up for it, you have to have the skill to put that power and set-up on the track to mean something: i.e. faster lap times, etc.

To me, just because something is for entertainment does not mean it is a toy. The level and responsibility defines when something moves into a different class, such as hobby, or even sport.

As for a sport, yes that is entertainment also. But no sport or sport equipment is considered a toy. The reason: The necessary skill to do it, the preparation to obtain that skill, the constant practice and training to build and maintain that skill, and so forth.
Though a sport is entertaining, it is by far not ever considered toy-like.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
msuviper68
My Feedback: (4)

i'd say i wouldnt get offended if someone called my planes a toy, but when your gf's dad refuses to meet you because "your still a immature little kid that plays with toys" that kinda offends me...as far as im concerned, anything that is capable of killing you at any given moment becomes at least a toy for someone mature enough to use it
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

No matter whether they are considered toys or not I enjoy my tmaxx and that is what counts to me. 
I wish I was like CRAZYMASON when I was 12.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
CRAZYMASON

yea lol i try to stay with the hobby because i love it. but it can be pretty expensive when crashing, blowing up, or not treating the car the right way

it pisses me off alittle when i say i love to use rc cars and kids or adults say thats cool i have one to but little did they know im talkin about nitro methan cars.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CRAZYMASON

yea lol i try to stay with the hobby because i love it. but it can be pretty expensive when crashing, blowing up, or not treating the car the right way

it pisses me off alittle when i say i love to use rc cars and kids or adults say thats cool i have one to but little did they know im talkin about nitro methan cars.
or talking about RC cars that can go faster than some 1:1 cars
Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

It,s the best medicine , that one can ask for . I really don,t give a rats ***** , what people think . I have a hobby , and a life . A loveing wife , two adorable kids , And the added bonus , .................... I get to meet some wonderful people .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.