RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Turbocharger

Reply
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
  #26
qoisdhc oqina
 
qoisdhc oqina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: saywhat, AE
Posts: 1,526
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

We've been so busy answering your question we forgot to answer the question you asked but didnt write down.

My suggestions, be a little nicer...
And try this thing called google.Bet ya didnt think of that did that??

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...d9c86769d1bf04
qoisdhc oqina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
  #27
rockNrollRC
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: , NE
Posts: 98
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger


Quote:
ORIGINAL: TSR10

you know what if the next freakin post isnt an answer to my question im off this site completlycause this is rediculous.
oh please don't, that would breakmy heart

no need to be a drama queen
rockNrollRC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 AM
  #28
SAVAGEJIM
 
SAVAGEJIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Torchy the Fiery Fast RC Turtl
Posts: 10,544
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger


Quote:
ORIGINAL: rockNrollRC


Quote:
ORIGINAL: TSR10

you know what if the next freakin post isnt an answer to my question im off this site completly cause this is rediculous.
oh please don't, that would break my heart

no need to be a drama queen
Go back and reread this reply, YOUR post is now becoming one of those attitude and absolutely useless posts. You are now being the guy trying to make him sound like a fool. You too need to ease up.
Take a step back and chill out.
To me, I am starting to personally find replies like this on this subject to tick me off.



Savagecommander even came back and was way nicer this time and posted an answer that was not attacking but completely answered the OP's question.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: savagecommander

no turbos. RBinnovations had a super, but thats all ive ever seen on the market.
SAVAGEJIM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 AM
  #29
Shi-Maxx
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UC, TN
Posts: 136
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

There were a couple of guys on this site that made turbochargers for a modle airplane and were somewhat successful. but never actualy flew with them, but they did start up and run.


What makes the supercharger so inefficient and not rewarding.
Shi-Maxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM
  #30
proanti1
 
proanti1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 4,299
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

I guess I'll help as little as I can. Those tether car dudes use to run turbos on their two strokes... They didn't sell very many because they didn't work, but occasionally you will find them on ebay. They were made by a company called sparrow I think, or something like that. Pretty much only designed for larger .40+ ignition engines. I was gonna pick one up just to have it, I have seen them go for around $50 or so. But they are true turbos that strap around the exhaust outlet.
proanti1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM
  #31
rockNrollRC
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: , NE
Posts: 98
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

To me, I am starting to personally find replies like this on this subject to tick me off.
Make that 2 drama queens.

Just like the OP, you need to quit taking things so seriously
and in case you forgot, this is the freakin internet, so if little things like this bother you then I can't imagine how you handle the real world
rockNrollRC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 PM
  #32
SAVAGEJIM
 
SAVAGEJIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Torchy the Fiery Fast RC Turtl
Posts: 10,544
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

Yes, this is the internet, but on this site, RCU, there are rules. I suggest you go back and read them again, especially since you are now calling me and the OP names (i.e. Drama Queens).

You succeeded in you goal of pissing people off, me too now.

I just reported you, as it is my right to do so according to those rules.

In the real world, there is another concept that YOU need to learn too, and that is mutual respect.
SAVAGEJIM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
  #33
savagecommander
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: sterling heights, MI
Posts: 1,857
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

a turbo that straps? I think i found out why they didnt work. did you ever look at the cox carbs? most were a set type to run at one rpm I.E one needle, so i guess you cant expect much of a tuning margin when dealing with equipment like that.
savagecommander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
  #34
jatoracing33
 
jatoracing33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: johnstown, PA
Posts: 2,654
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

I'm gonna go make a bag of popcorn, find a nice comfy seat, and watch this unfold


ON TOPIC

I have heard of superchargers for these engines, but not turbos. The engine will still start up and run with a supercharger, but hearing from people who have used them, the performance is sub-par. I personally have not used one, I am just going off what I have heard.
jatoracing33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
  #35
savagecommander
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: sterling heights, MI
Posts: 1,857
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

the design left something to be desired to say the least. it was more like a blower for an air conditioner shrunk down... good for moving air, but not compressing it.
savagecommander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:44 PM
  #36
DavidAgar
 
DavidAgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Posts: 4,979
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

Okay, guys and gals, we need to get back on topic or the thread will be closed down. Thanks Dave
DavidAgar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:15 PM
  #37
proanti1
 
proanti1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 4,299
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger


Quote:
ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Okay, guys and gals, we need to get back on topic or the thread will be closed down. Thanks Dave
The thread has turned into a nice civil discussion... no need to shut it down.

Does anyone know of anyone who has turbocharged an os 4 stroke... I found a site years ago, but cant seem to now...
proanti1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 AM
  #38
TSR10
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ronks, PA
Posts: 41
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger



ya i would LOVE to see a 4 stroke boosted! and yaim seein more and more that turbo's are a "touchy" subject around most rc folk haha but thanks for the positive feedback that i did get!

TSR10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM
  #39
HJJFFFAA
 
HJJFFFAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Posts: 5,442
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger


Quote:
ORIGINAL: proanti1


Quote:
ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Okay, guys and gals, we need to get back on topic or the thread will be closed down. Thanks Dave
The thread has turned into a nice civil discussion... no need to shut it down.

Does anyone know of anyone who has turbocharged an os 4 stroke... I found a site years ago, but cant seem to now...
O.S. used to put superchargers on a few of their big 4-strokes. A turbocharger would work, but there are problems that will arise with these engines such as oil for the turbocharger bearings.
HJJFFFAA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM
  #40
2strokelover
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger



it appears nobody has talked about this for ages so dont know if anyone will read it but i have thought about the whole turbo 2 stroke thing on and off for years n back on it again lately bored at work, bare with me, i dont really know much about rc or turbos but love two stroke dirt bikes and 2 stroke engines in general n thats why i have owned a couple of nitro r/c cars n think they r awesome n fantasise about a turbo rc nitro nearly as much as turbo charged 2003 honda cr 500 that makes people go "holy jesus christ, i have always thought like most of u that know anything about a 2 banger that any extra air fuel pressure what simply blow straight past the back pressure of the exhaust that was designed to b naturally aspirated n be a total waste, BUT today at work i had alittle moment n got all excited about the idea all over again, this will sound STUPID at first but bare with me, i put a rubber cap over the end of a 14 inch steel pipe, drove just under a mile to the other end of the pipe and capped that, now i have a big steel tube sealed both ends by rubber caps, just out of boredom i slapped th cap hard as i could n still had my hand on the cap when the echo of the sound and pressure had travelled all thw way up the pipe bounced off the cap at th other end travelled back down the pipe n hit the cap i was still touching with surprisingly nearly the same force i had originally hit it, a light bulb went off n i imagined the steel pipe was the expansion chamber on my kx 250 (2stroke) i cut a whole in the middle of the rubber cap about the size of a fist imagining if my bike exhaust was th size of th pipe how big th whole at th end of the expansion chamber would be where it comes into th tail pipe n then on to the silencer, i drove to th other end n slapped th cap with no hole in it n waited to see how much pressure echoed back and it was as i had predicted alot less force came back due to the hole at the other end where back pressure had been lost, i pictured my bike leaning against the wall quiet and unridden n thought if it had a turbo at the end of the expansion chamber wouldnt alot more of the reflecting sound and pressure wave of back pressure be retained by the turbo itself, probably quite proportionately to the increased pressure of th fresh fuel air mix? the bigger the turbo the more the increase fuel air but also the bigger the turbo the less exhaust back pressure out? in proportion to each other? then i hear voices saying but it will run lean u have more air but no extra fuel cause u still have standard jetting r u really gonna do ya head in over it again it cant work or someone alot smarter than u would have already done it, BUT wouldnt u actually need to KEEP th standard jetting cause if u suck more air through the carby the venturi effect actually will want to suck proportionately more fuel through the jets thus keeping your fuel air mix as it originally was? so in theory at least i havent had to change the exhaust, or th carby, or add any stupid valves or anything that will over complicate the beautiful simplicity of th 2 stroke, so obviously its just a theory n someone will probably burst my bubble n give me a good explanation why it wont work and please do but until then i will be day dreaming away at work about some crazy ridiculously powerful turbocharged 2 stroke engine, be gentle when u shoot my idea down i have read a couple of threads n people seemed to get a bit nasty about the whole thing sometimes,

2strokelover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM
  #41
Foxy
Moderator
 
Foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
Posts: 18,082
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

Why it doesn't work? Simple. No valves. To understand this in the simplest way possible; block one end of a pipe (this cap is your closed exhaust valve), pour fuel in. The more fuel you pour in, the bigger bang you will get when you strike a match. Now remove the cap on the pipe (open exhaust port as per nitro engines), pour in fuel. Congratulations you need a new pair of shoes, but now you understand why forced induction can't work on a valveless engine.
Foxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
  #42
proanti1
 
proanti1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 4,299
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Foxy

Why it doesn't work? Simple. No valves. To understand this in the simplest way possible; block one end of a pipe (this cap is your closed exhaust valve), pour fuel in. The more fuel you pour in, the bigger bang you will get when you strike a match. Now remove the cap on the pipe (open exhaust port as per nitro engines), pour in fuel. Congratulations you need a new pair of shoes, but now you understand why forced induction can't work on a valveless engine.
It doesn't work with rotary valve two strokes because the fuel mixture must enter the crankcase first, then the intake is closed off before the mixture is shot into the cylinder. Turbochargers do work with reed-valve two strokes, snowmobile guys have been doing it for years.
proanti1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
  #43
OvalRacer99
 
OvalRacer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Watertown, SD
Posts: 618
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

Being that I believe that anything is possible, if you set your mind to it, I try it and see.
My theory is that if you have enough pressure coming in on the intake side and it's not able to flow out the exaust side, you will get a pressure build up. A simple way to look at this theory is to see what it takes to make a pressure washer blow water at the 1000 psi plus range. Put pressure on the intake end and restrict the exaust end.
Again, it's all theory, but being Iam an open minded guy, I still feel anything is possible.

P.S. This is all MYOPINIONand you may disagree.
OvalRacer99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM
  #44
DaveG55
 
DaveG55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 8,275
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger


Quote:
ORIGINAL: 2strokelover



it appears nobody has talked about this for ages so dont know if anyone will read it but i have thought about the whole turbo 2 stroke thing on and off for years n back on it again lately bored at work, bare with me, i dont really know much about rc or turbos but love two stroke dirt bikes and 2 stroke engines in general n thats why i have owned a couple of nitro r/c cars n think they r awesome n fantasise about a turbo rc nitro nearly as much as turbo charged 2003 honda cr 500 that makes people go ''holy jesus christ, i have always thought like most of u that know anything about a 2 banger that any extra air fuel pressure what simply blow straight past the back pressure of the exhaust that was designed to b naturally aspirated n be a total waste, BUT today at work i had alittle moment n got all excited about the idea all over again, this will sound STUPID at first but bare with me, i put a rubber cap over the end of a 14 inch steel pipe, drove just under a mile to the other end of the pipe and capped that, now i have a big steel tube sealed both ends by rubber caps, just out of boredom i slapped th cap hard as i could n still had my hand on the cap when the echo of the sound and pressure had travelled all thw way up the pipe bounced off the cap at th other end travelled back down the pipe n hit the cap i was still touching with surprisingly nearly the same force i had originally hit it, a light bulb went off n i imagined the steel pipe was the expansion chamber on my kx 250 (2stroke) i cut a whole in the middle of the rubber cap about the size of a fist imagining if my bike exhaust was th size of th pipe how big th whole at th end of the expansion chamber would be where it comes into th tail pipe n then on to the silencer, i drove to th other end n slapped th cap with no hole in it n waited to see how much pressure echoed back and it was as i had predicted alot less force came back due to the hole at the other end where back pressure had been lost, i pictured my bike leaning against the wall quiet and unridden n thought if it had a turbo at the end of the expansion chamber wouldnt alot more of the reflecting sound and pressure wave of back pressure be retained by the turbo itself, probably quite proportionately to the increased pressure of th fresh fuel air mix? the bigger the turbo the more the increase fuel air but also the bigger the turbo the less exhaust back pressure out? in proportion to each other? then i hear voices saying but it will run lean u have more air but no extra fuel cause u still have standard jetting r u really gonna do ya head in over it again it cant work or someone alot smarter than u would have already done it, BUT wouldnt u actually need to KEEP th standard jetting cause if u suck more air through the carby the venturi effect actually will want to suck proportionately more fuel through the jets thus keeping your fuel air mix as it originally was? so in theory at least i havent had to change the exhaust, or th carby, or add any stupid valves or anything that will over complicate the beautiful simplicity of th 2 stroke, so obviously its just a theory n someone will probably burst my bubble n give me a good explanation why it wont work and please do but until then i will be day dreaming away at work about some crazy ridiculously powerful turbocharged 2 stroke engine, be gentle when u shoot my idea down i have read a couple of threads n people seemed to get a bit nasty about the whole thing sometimes,

Your closed, echoing tube is basically describing how a tuned pipe works. This is something that is already in place with rc nitro engines. They use the force of the returning sound wave to force some of the fresh fuel flowing into (and out of) the combustion chamber back in. The flaw in your theory is that there is only so much back pressure that is created. Once that is overcome then all you will be doing with a turbo is forcing air flow through the cylinder while both ports remain open. The only time the turbo will be doing what it is designed to do is the split second that the exhaust port is closed while the intake port remains open. Unless there is some way (valves, reeds) to close off the exhaust port to allow the combustion chamber to pressurize you won't realize much gain. What you will do is complicate the entire intake system, alter the tuning and change the exhaust charicteristics. It's a far eaiser thing to simply increase engine displacement to gain power.
DaveG55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 PM
  #45
djyjrlz
 
djyjrlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: steyning, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 411
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

all in all the engine ($200) and your home made/bought turbo/supercharger ($150) will give a less significant power gain (if any) over a $350 motor. and the more expensive motor will last longer, and look nicer, and be lighter. so in truth there is almost no point.
djyjrlz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
  #46
supertib
 
supertib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , MB, CANADA
Posts: 7,241
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger


Quote:
ORIGINAL: proanti1


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Foxy

Why it doesn't work? Simple. No valves. To understand this in the simplest way possible; block one end of a pipe (this cap is your closed exhaust valve), pour fuel in. The more fuel you pour in, the bigger bang you will get when you strike a match. Now remove the cap on the pipe (open exhaust port as per nitro engines), pour in fuel. Congratulations you need a new pair of shoes, but now you understand why forced induction can't work on a valveless engine.
It doesn't work with rotary valve two strokes because the fuel mixture must enter the crankcase first, then the intake is closed off before the mixture is shot into the cylinder. Turbochargers do work with reed-valve two strokes, snowmobile guys have been doing it for years.

turbo works with piston port and rotary just fine...actually the reeds are the most difficult to setup..... Guys have been running turbo charged sleds for many years now on all formats of 2 stroke engines.....
supertib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
  #47
Krawlin
 
Krawlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 2,541
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

No one has brought up 2 stroke diesels yet so I will..... ALL 2 stroke diesel engines have some sort of forced induction (usually a supercharger, sometimes both a supercharger and a turbo), but they require it otherwise they wouldn't run. A 2 stroke diesel is a valved 2 stroke, but uses actual exhaust valves like a 4 stroke would. They have a port in the sleeve to let in the air, and an exhaust valve that opens near bottom dead center after the piston is below the intake port, and because they have forced induction and they are direct injected, the only thing coming through the intake port is air, which being forced in shoves out the burnt air/fuel mixture from the previous combustion out the now open exhaust valve, and as the piston travels back up and closes the intake port, the exhaust valve also shuts and the cylinder has a fresh charge of air, and talking about what happens next would be redundant. If we had fuel injection systems for RC's, a 2 stroke diesel engine would be very doable and practical. But fuel injection systems for RC's are not very practical at this stage so neither is a 2 stroke diesel. If in the RC world we had 4 stroke engines with an oiling system other than the fuel itself, the exhaust would be considerably cleaner and a turbo would be practical, at least for aircraft use since lag isn't much of a concern for them because they maintain fairly steady high RPM throttle. For land based applications in RC, a supercharger would be more practical than a turbo because there isn't lag with a supercharger.
Krawlin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:55 PM
  #48
supertib
 
supertib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , MB, CANADA
Posts: 7,241
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

You guys need to check out what some of the snowmobile guys have been doing over the last 2 decades...there have been thousands of turbo 2 strokes built in all different engine configurations, rotary,piston port and reed..........These days they have gone to turbo 4 strokes, but before that there were plenty of turbo mountain sleds running around..........Just wait till snowmobile CVT clutch systems start surfacing in RC..

check this out...this was custom built in Canada for A.J. Loverings top speed nitro car....Snowmobile technology is many decades ahead of RC technology !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0BERPIp364[/youtube]



and here is a thread about a Indy 650 turbo charged, piston port triple.....

http://www.snowmobileforum.com/snowm...y-arsonal.html
supertib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:01 PM.