Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Turbocharger

We've been so busy answering your question we forgot to answer the question you asked but didnt write down.

My suggestions, be a little nicer...
And try this thing called google.Bet ya didnt think of that did that??

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...d9c86769d1bf04
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
rockNrollRC

ORIGINAL: TSR10

you know what if the next freakin post isnt an answer to my question im off this site completlycause this is rediculous.
oh please don't, that would breakmy heart

no need to be a drama queen
Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: rockNrollRC

ORIGINAL: TSR10

you know what if the next freakin post isnt an answer to my question im off this site completly cause this is rediculous.
oh please don't, that would break my heart

no need to be a drama queen
Go back and reread this reply, YOUR post is now becoming one of those attitude and absolutely useless posts. You are now being the guy trying to make him sound like a fool. You too need to ease up.
Take a step back and chill out.
To me, I am starting to personally find replies like this on this subject to tick me off.

Savagecommander even came back and was way nicer this time and posted an answer that was not attacking but completely answered the OP's question.

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

no turbos. RBinnovations had a super, but thats all ive ever seen on the market.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Shi-Maxx

There were a couple of guys on this site that made turbochargers for a modle airplane and were somewhat successful. but never actualy flew with them, but they did start up and run.

What makes the supercharger so inefficient and not rewarding.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll help as little as I can. Those tether car dudes use to run turbos on their two strokes... They didn't sell very many because they didn't work, but occasionally you will find them on ebay. They were made by a company called sparrow I think, or something like that. Pretty much only designed for larger .40+ ignition engines. I was gonna pick one up just to have it, I have seen them go for around $50 or so. But they are true turbos that strap around the exhaust outlet.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM
rockNrollRC

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

To me, I am starting to personally find replies like this on this subject to tick me off.
Make that 2 drama queens.

Just like the OP, you need to quit taking things so seriously
and in case you forgot, this is the freakin internet, so if little things like this bother you then I can't imagine how you handle the real world
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yes, this is the internet, but on this site, RCU, there are rules. I suggest you go back and read them again, especially since you are now calling me and the OP names (i.e. Drama Queens).

You succeeded in you goal of pissing people off, me too now.

I just reported you, as it is my right to do so according to those rules.

In the real world, there is another concept that YOU need to learn too, and that is mutual respect.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
savagecommander

a turbo that straps? I think i found out why they didnt work. did you ever look at the cox carbs? most were a set type to run at one rpm I.E one needle, so i guess you cant expect much of a tuning margin when dealing with equipment like that.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
jatoracing33

I'm gonna go make a bag of popcorn, find a nice comfy seat, and watch this unfold

ON TOPIC

I have heard of superchargers for these engines, but not turbos. The engine will still start up and run with a supercharger, but hearing from people who have used them, the performance is sub-par. I personally have not used one, I am just going off what I have heard.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
savagecommander

the design left something to be desired to say the least. it was more like a blower for an air conditioner shrunk down... good for moving air, but not compressing it.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:44 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, guys and gals, we need to get back on topic or the thread will be closed down. Thanks Dave
Old 07-18-2010, 05:15 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Okay, guys and gals, we need to get back on topic or the thread will be closed down. Thanks Dave
The thread has turned into a nice civil discussion... no need to shut it down.

Does anyone know of anyone who has turbocharged an os 4 stroke... I found a site years ago, but cant seem to now...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 AM
TSR10

ya i would LOVE to see a 4 stroke boosted! and yaim seein more and more that turbo's are a "touchy" subject around most rc folk haha but thanks for the positive feedback that i did get!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

The thread has turned into a nice civil discussion... no need to shut it down.

Does anyone know of anyone who has turbocharged an os 4 stroke... I found a site years ago, but cant seem to now...
O.S. used to put superchargers on a few of their big 4-strokes. A turbocharger would work, but there are problems that will arise with these engines such as oil for the turbocharger bearings.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM
2strokelover

it appears nobody has talked about this for ages so dont know if anyone will read it but i have thought about the whole turbo 2 stroke thing on and off for years n back on it again lately bored at work, bare with me, i dont really know much about rc or turbos but love two stroke dirt bikes and 2 stroke engines in general n thats why i have owned a couple of nitro r/c cars n think they r awesome n fantasise about a turbo rc nitro nearly as much as turbo charged 2003 honda cr 500 that makes people go "holy jesus christ, i have always thought like most of u that know anything about a 2 banger that any extra air fuel pressure what simply blow straight past the back pressure of the exhaust that was designed to b naturally aspirated n be a total waste, BUT today at work i had alittle moment n got all excited about the idea all over again, this will sound STUPID at first but bare with me, i put a rubber cap over the end of a 14 inch steel pipe, drove just under a mile to the other end of the pipe and capped that, now i have a big steel tube sealed both ends by rubber caps, just out of boredom i slapped th cap hard as i could n still had my hand on the cap when the echo of the sound and pressure had travelled all thw way up the pipe bounced off the cap at th other end travelled back down the pipe n hit the cap i was still touching with surprisingly nearly the same force i had originally hit it, a light bulb went off n i imagined the steel pipe was the expansion chamber on my kx 250 (2stroke) i cut a whole in the middle of the rubber cap about the size of a fist imagining if my bike exhaust was th size of th pipe how big th whole at th end of the expansion chamber would be where it comes into th tail pipe n then on to the silencer, i drove to th other end n slapped th cap with no hole in it n waited to see how much pressure echoed back and it was as i had predicted alot less force came back due to the hole at the other end where back pressure had been lost, i pictured my bike leaning against the wall quiet and unridden n thought if it had a turbo at the end of the expansion chamber wouldnt alot more of the reflecting sound and pressure wave of back pressure be retained by the turbo itself, probably quite proportionately to the increased pressure of th fresh fuel air mix? the bigger the turbo the more the increase fuel air but also the bigger the turbo the less exhaust back pressure out? in proportion to each other? then i hear voices saying but it will run lean u have more air but no extra fuel cause u still have standard jetting r u really gonna do ya head in over it again it cant work or someone alot smarter than u would have already done it, BUT wouldnt u actually need to KEEP th standard jetting cause if u suck more air through the carby the venturi effect actually will want to suck proportionately more fuel through the jets thus keeping your fuel air mix as it originally was? so in theory at least i havent had to change the exhaust, or th carby, or add any stupid valves or anything that will over complicate the beautiful simplicity of th 2 stroke, so obviously its just a theory n someone will probably burst my bubble n give me a good explanation why it wont work and please do but until then i will be day dreaming away at work about some crazy ridiculously powerful turbocharged 2 stroke engine, be gentle when u shoot my idea down i have read a couple of threads n people seemed to get a bit nasty about the whole thing sometimes,

Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why it doesn't work? Simple. No valves. To understand this in the simplest way possible; block one end of a pipe (this cap is your closed exhaust valve), pour fuel in. The more fuel you pour in, the bigger bang you will get when you strike a match. Now remove the cap on the pipe (open exhaust port as per nitro engines), pour in fuel. Congratulations you need a new pair of shoes, but now you understand why forced induction can't work on a valveless engine.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Why it doesn't work? Simple. No valves. To understand this in the simplest way possible; block one end of a pipe (this cap is your closed exhaust valve), pour fuel in. The more fuel you pour in, the bigger bang you will get when you strike a match. Now remove the cap on the pipe (open exhaust port as per nitro engines), pour in fuel. Congratulations you need a new pair of shoes, but now you understand why forced induction can't work on a valveless engine.
It doesn't work with rotary valve two strokes because the fuel mixture must enter the crankcase first, then the intake is closed off before the mixture is shot into the cylinder. Turbochargers do work with reed-valve two strokes, snowmobile guys have been doing it for years.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
OvalRacer99

Being that I believe that anything is possible, if you set your mind to it, I try it and see.
My theory is that if you have enough pressure coming in on the intake side and it's not able to flow out the exaust side, you will get a pressure build up. A simple way to look at this theory is to see what it takes to make a pressure washer blow water at the 1000 psi plus range. Put pressure on the intake end and restrict the exaust end.
Again, it's all theory, but being Iam an open minded guy, I still feel anything is possible.

P.S. This is all MYOPINIONand you may disagree.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: 2strokelover

it appears nobody has talked about this for ages so dont know if anyone will read it but i have thought about the whole turbo 2 stroke thing on and off for years n back on it again lately bored at work, bare with me, i dont really know much about rc or turbos but love two stroke dirt bikes and 2 stroke engines in general n thats why i have owned a couple of nitro r/c cars n think they r awesome n fantasise about a turbo rc nitro nearly as much as turbo charged 2003 honda cr 500 that makes people go ''holy jesus christ, i have always thought like most of u that know anything about a 2 banger that any extra air fuel pressure what simply blow straight past the back pressure of the exhaust that was designed to b naturally aspirated n be a total waste, BUT today at work i had alittle moment n got all excited about the idea all over again, this will sound STUPID at first but bare with me, i put a rubber cap over the end of a 14 inch steel pipe, drove just under a mile to the other end of the pipe and capped that, now i have a big steel tube sealed both ends by rubber caps, just out of boredom i slapped th cap hard as i could n still had my hand on the cap when the echo of the sound and pressure had travelled all thw way up the pipe bounced off the cap at th other end travelled back down the pipe n hit the cap i was still touching with surprisingly nearly the same force i had originally hit it, a light bulb went off n i imagined the steel pipe was the expansion chamber on my kx 250 (2stroke) i cut a whole in the middle of the rubber cap about the size of a fist imagining if my bike exhaust was th size of th pipe how big th whole at th end of the expansion chamber would be where it comes into th tail pipe n then on to the silencer, i drove to th other end n slapped th cap with no hole in it n waited to see how much pressure echoed back and it was as i had predicted alot less force came back due to the hole at the other end where back pressure had been lost, i pictured my bike leaning against the wall quiet and unridden n thought if it had a turbo at the end of the expansion chamber wouldnt alot more of the reflecting sound and pressure wave of back pressure be retained by the turbo itself, probably quite proportionately to the increased pressure of th fresh fuel air mix? the bigger the turbo the more the increase fuel air but also the bigger the turbo the less exhaust back pressure out? in proportion to each other? then i hear voices saying but it will run lean u have more air but no extra fuel cause u still have standard jetting r u really gonna do ya head in over it again it cant work or someone alot smarter than u would have already done it, BUT wouldnt u actually need to KEEP th standard jetting cause if u suck more air through the carby the venturi effect actually will want to suck proportionately more fuel through the jets thus keeping your fuel air mix as it originally was? so in theory at least i havent had to change the exhaust, or th carby, or add any stupid valves or anything that will over complicate the beautiful simplicity of th 2 stroke, so obviously its just a theory n someone will probably burst my bubble n give me a good explanation why it wont work and please do but until then i will be day dreaming away at work about some crazy ridiculously powerful turbocharged 2 stroke engine, be gentle when u shoot my idea down i have read a couple of threads n people seemed to get a bit nasty about the whole thing sometimes,

Your closed, echoing tube is basically describing how a tuned pipe works. This is something that is already in place with rc nitro engines. They use the force of the returning sound wave to force some of the fresh fuel flowing into (and out of) the combustion chamber back in. The flaw in your theory is that there is only so much back pressure that is created. Once that is overcome then all you will be doing with a turbo is forcing air flow through the cylinder while both ports remain open. The only time the turbo will be doing what it is designed to do is the split second that the exhaust port is closed while the intake port remains open. Unless there is some way (valves, reeds) to close off the exhaust port to allow the combustion chamber to pressurize you won't realize much gain. What you will do is complicate the entire intake system, alter the tuning and change the exhaust charicteristics. It's a far eaiser thing to simply increase engine displacement to gain power.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 PM
djyjrlz

all in all the engine ($200) and your home made/bought turbo/supercharger ($150) will give a less significant power gain (if any) over a $350 motor. and the more expensive motor will last longer, and look nicer, and be lighter. so in truth there is almost no point.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: Foxy

It doesn't work with rotary valve two strokes because the fuel mixture must enter the crankcase first, then the intake is closed off before the mixture is shot into the cylinder. Turbochargers do work with reed-valve two strokes, snowmobile guys have been doing it for years.

turbo works with piston port and rotary just fine...actually the reeds are the most difficult to setup..... Guys have been running turbo charged sleds for many years now on all formats of 2 stroke engines.....
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Krawlin

No one has brought up 2 stroke diesels yet so I will..... ALL 2 stroke diesel engines have some sort of forced induction (usually a supercharger, sometimes both a supercharger and a turbo), but they require it otherwise they wouldn't run. A 2 stroke diesel is a valved 2 stroke, but uses actual exhaust valves like a 4 stroke would. They have a port in the sleeve to let in the air, and an exhaust valve that opens near bottom dead center after the piston is below the intake port, and because they have forced induction and they are direct injected, the only thing coming through the intake port is air, which being forced in shoves out the burnt air/fuel mixture from the previous combustion out the now open exhaust valve, and as the piston travels back up and closes the intake port, the exhaust valve also shuts and the cylinder has a fresh charge of air, and talking about what happens next would be redundant. If we had fuel injection systems for RC's, a 2 stroke diesel engine would be very doable and practical. But fuel injection systems for RC's are not very practical at this stage so neither is a 2 stroke diesel. If in the RC world we had 4 stroke engines with an oiling system other than the fuel itself, the exhaust would be considerably cleaner and a turbo would be practical, at least for aircraft use since lag isn't much of a concern for them because they maintain fairly steady high RPM throttle. For land based applications in RC, a supercharger would be more practical than a turbo because there isn't lag with a supercharger.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:55 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys need to check out what some of the snowmobile guys have been doing over the last 2 decades...there have been thousands of turbo 2 strokes built in all different engine configurations, rotary,piston port and reed..........These days they have gone to turbo 4 strokes, but before that there were plenty of turbo mountain sleds running around..........Just wait till snowmobile CVT clutch systems start surfacing in RC..

check this out...this was custom built in Canada for A.J. Loverings top speed nitro car....Snowmobile technology is many decades ahead of RC technology !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0BERPIp364[/youtube]

and here is a thread about a Indy 650 turbo charged, piston port triple.....

http://www.snowmobileforum.com/snowm...y-arsonal.html