Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Can you turn a 2 speed tranny into single?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you turn a 2 speed tranny into single?

one of my small gears in my tranny is missing 5-6 teeth and it locks up.
can i take it out and make it a single speed tranny?
or does anyone have an extra redcat tranny gear?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:02 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Can you turn a 2 speed tranny into single?

They should have a single speed conversion for it...
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Devils-Reject

i took out the 2nd speed big gear, i'll put it together tomorrow and see if it works
Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM
jatoracing33

It'll work, but it'll be considerably slower.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Shi-Maxx

I Would buy the converson kit its only like 9 bucks and it wont take so much speed away.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Devils-Reject

it works great. it is slower, but not much, i have a smaller spur gear so its not stock speed in first gear.
i dont mind the speed its not that slow.
i dont run mine for speed, i like to hill climb, and drive threw stuff, like mud, water, rough stuff. so im looking for power and not speed.
its still very snappy. and i would rather have a single speed.
its been down for like 4 months not being used, and it started right up today no problem.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
rockNrollRC

depending on the type of 2spd you have, you can simply take out the clutch or the level that comes up and catches the 2spd housing.After doing that the 2nd speed gear should be removed to reduce the rotating mass.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Devils-Reject

i removed the 2nd gear and it works great as a single speed, but these damn red cats are pissing me off.
during the winter it was great because my tires didnt grip enough in the snow. but now that its spring, and i have bad land copy tires.......
the gears are WEAK i fried the tranny, both front and rear diffs. because the gears are weak and the tires grip so well it fries the gears.

i love the car, i love the power of the motorm but i am soooooo tired of fixing it. and if i replace all the gears it will only burn up the new ones.
its no wonder why they put crappy tread on the car as stock so the just spin and dont grip up.

im going to match up traxxas parts or some other name brand gears to replace the red cats so they will hold up to the power of the .21 motor.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM
rockNrollRC

ORIGINAL: Devils-Reject

i removed the 2nd gear and it works great as a single speed, but these damn red cats are pissing me off.
during the winter it was great because my tires didnt grip enough in the snow. but now that its spring, and i have bad land copy tires.......
the gears are WEAK i fried the tranny, both front and rear diffs. because the gears are weak and the tires grip so well it fries the gears.

i love the car, i love the power of the motorm but i am soooooo tired of fixing it. and if i replace all the gears it will only burn up the new ones.
its no wonder why they put crappy tread on the car as stock so the just spin and dont grip up.

im going to match up traxxas parts or some other name brand gears to replace the red cats so they will hold up to the power of the .21 motor.
Look into getting different spur/clutchbell gears. I read somewhere that in some redcat cars the pitch of the clutchbell and spur gears are off just a very little bit and that contributes to premature gear failure. Some people go to HPIclutchbells and gears because they have several 2spd clutchbell options.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Devils-Reject

i run a traxxas spur and have no problems with it. my front and rear diffs and tranny, blew out with in 10 mins. of driving on grass and concrete because they couldnt handle the tires griping and the motor power,
i got these tires for the traction, and during ther winter in the snow they kicked ass!!! now im soo pissed, i couldnt wait till summer to take my car to all these different places to drive it and now i cant. im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  PISSED AT REDCAT AGAIN.