Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

how much have you spent on rc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how much have you spent on rc?

OMG
thats all i have to say
Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 PM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: alvinl

ORIGINAL: tommygun32
Probably still cheaper than girlfriends.....
You think girlfriends are expensive, get an wife.

Check post # 35..
Old 08-07-2010, 07:34 AM
rcaddict0
Banned

Hi everyone. New to RC and the forums. But since gettin into the hobby in Jan. 2010...I would guess about $2000. It's VERY addictive. I started with an Evader and now I own about 5 trucks, a buggy and one boat. lol...So lots of cash!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Doesn't take long, does it rcaddict
Old 08-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I have spent enough to make some people cry.... It provides me with entertainment so.....
Old 08-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Steve.

Sure it's expensive but out of all of my hobbies it's my favorite because it's the best father/son hobby out there period. He's done it off and on for three years but this year something clicked. He's 11, and is really showing more interest this year now that he's a good driver. We got off to a rough start because I had only nitro cars. So that cost money to get him and myself electric cars, batteries , ESCs, charger, etc. Today he was tearing it up with my .28 Picco powered Aftershock and loving it. I could be doing WAY worse things with my time and money, yet I'll work OT or wheel and deal somehow to fund our hobby. It's hard because I'm funding 2 basher's habits but it beats doing it alone.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:05 PM
the nitro way

ive spent about 3-450 on my xcell
Old 08-07-2010, 11:47 PM
mrbonez

im showing this thread to my wifey so she realizes that i don't really spend that much on rc LoL .
but man i love every minute of driving, fixing and building rc's .
i think my grandfather planted the seed when i was a kid . he used to take me out to the local rc field and fly his teather plane and to this day every time i smell a nitro engine it reminds me of those days . honestly i spend way less on this hobby then i did when i was a wanna be guitarist so it cant be to bad
Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Got back in the hobby about a year ago and spent my share:

rc10b4 kit
vxl brushless system
smc lipo
venom charger
random rpm upgrades
$700ish total

Traded for: used savage xss (stock)
Many small upgrades (too many to list)
lrp .30
Probably $450 or so in upgrades/fuel/accessories

Rustler vxl (used)
2 turnigy lipo's
acu-6 charger
$250ish total

Jammin CRTroller
a few accessories
$200ish total

Dont really see the train stopping, rebuilt my k4.6 to run in the jammin (forgot to add that cost), but now after break in I can plainly see the lost speed/power when compared to the lrp .30 in the savy. So of course Im eyeballing either a cheap port job on the 4.6, or a new engine alltogether, and maybe sell the 4.6 and re-coup some of the money which Im sure Ill spend somewhere else rc related. Also been wanting an lst xxl for quite some time now....Dont get me wrong, lovin every second of it, but it does burn a hole in the pants...fast.

Learning curve is whats most satisfying to me...the Savage was my first nitro, and it gave me headaches....but everythings gotten easier with each new model/engine. Break in on the tired rebuilt 4.6 earlier today was smooth as snot.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 PM
hhvg

I couldnt afford the hobby until 2006 and even then I only got into it because I couldnt (still cant) afford a real car for a hobby. I waited over 10 years to get my first hobby grade RC: a used Traxxas Rustler xl1, all stock, w/batts and a dial charger for $88+ shipping. I started working part time to get more $$ for my new hobby. And I also bought, sold, and parted out new and used RC to get hopups for free and make $$. It now 2010. Iveowned over 125 RC carsthrough the years and Ive done it all except 1/5 brushless. Whenever I get a new one an old one or two have to go. I only keep what I use. If it hasnt been driven in over 3 weeks its probably a waste of money.

I dont even have 8 cars now and I drive less and less every week! Theres nothing new on the horizon for me except 1/5 brushless when castle come out with their system.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:46 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Ive been in the hobby since the early 80s and have had close to 100 cars so you can imagine how much Ive spent, now I probably have 60 or 70 and it growing again but Im too lazy to do an inventory[&:]
Old 08-09-2010, 02:35 AM
heaven66

It is too hard to calculate my spending on RC TOYS . i love HELI, CAR. BOAT  from Electronic to Gas and Nitro Power . so wonderful . as i am living in China . all the toys are buying under a resonable price and my families especially my Wife hate all my RC toys . people said that my home is purely like a  TOY SHOP !! 

Highly recommended a store which can be paid via ESCROW : http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/202453
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM
mubus

i just spent $500 on my baja 5b
rpm arm rear and front= $100 dollarish
zenoah g270 w/ wt 813 carb= $269( i heard bad story bout the carb but gonna give it a try anyways)
new body + paint= $50
and other stuff...
can't wait for friday. its the best day of the week because that is when i paid .. WHOOO more stuff.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Dont really see the train stopping, rebuilt my k4.6 to run in the jammin (forgot to add that cost), but now after break in I can plainly see the lost speed/power when compared to the lrp .30 in the savy. So of course Im eyeballing either a cheap port job on the 4.6, or a new engine alltogether, and maybe sell the 4.6 and re-coup some of the money which Im sure Ill spend somewhere else rc related. Also been wanting an lst xxl for quite some time now....Dont get me wrong, lovin every second of it, but it does burn a hole in the pants...fast.

Learning curve is whats most satisfying to me...the Savage was my first nitro, and it gave me headaches....but everythings gotten easier with each new model/engine. Break in on the tired rebuilt 4.6 earlier today was smooth as snot.

use the k4.6 as a paperweight and get something else
I have a k4.6 and that sucker was the 2nd biggest waste of cash I've done in RC's (biggest waste I did was a HPI Brama 10b) Its also the hardest to tune nitro engine I've owned.

The jammin CRT can take a fair bit of punishment. I cracked mine up bad(the impact actually unplugged the batteries and knocked a connector off among other things) during its BL test and only broke the front bumper mount ($7 in parts)

Side note to keep this post on topic gotta add another $150 to my total just ordered another battery, another charger, a 16A 12v power supply, and some other stuff today
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM
basketballfan60123

I got into the hobby in April of last year and and now own 5 rc cars; I estimate I have invested about $4000.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the hobby from 1990 to 1994. My parents paid for everything back then. And I actually raced indoor carpet back then. Fast forward to 2007 and it's the same track with the same owners. And I also race another track. Countless Nitro Trucks, Nitro Fuel, Racing Fee's Food at the track, Gas to get there, Replacement parts. Since February I've gotten into Mini Trucking. Just in that alone I'm looking at about $3000. So all total prolly just shy of $10,000.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
MCSRacing

i spent 6700.00 so far this year ..... last year i spent 4400 and change LOL
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Shenanigans

Yeah, i realized after breaking it in with the new sleeve/piston/rod the power/speed difference between that and my lrp .30 was a bit extreme. I see myself selling it, and looking into another .28 or .21. Probably run this truggy onpavement more than not so Im looking into road rage tires and a fast engine.......picco .28 maybe, or drop to a .21...still studying up on that.
Tuning and breaking this k4.6 in was suprisingly easy.....fell into a good tune real quick and aside from it hanging a bit comin off high throttle (i think the lsn o-rings need replacing) it runs just as it should. Just doesnt have the speed Iv been used to with the savy with lrp 30, 086, and 19/47 gearing

I do like the truggy though.....miles above the savage as far as handling and about the same size...was suprised at the girth of it.

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

use the k4.6 as a paperweight and get something else
I have a k4.6 and that sucker was the 2nd biggest waste of cash I've done in RC's (biggest waste I did was a HPI Brama 10b) Its also the hardest to tune nitro engine I've owned.

The jammin CRT can take a fair bit of punishment. I cracked mine up bad(the impact actually unplugged the batteries and knocked a connector off among other things) during its BL test and only broke the front bumper mount ($7 in parts)

Side note to keep this post on topic gotta add another $150 to my total just ordered another battery, another charger, a 16A 12v power supply, and some other stuff today
Old 08-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

Sales are up!!

I don't even wanna hazard to guess how much I've spent. But all-in-all it's worth every penny cause it's my past time and keeps me busy....sometimes too busy![:-] Even at work I catch myself thinking of RC's and sometimes I wish I didn't have that damn internet at work...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Shenanigans

I second that..IM at work right now and theres several things I could be doing other than reading rc posts.....and ebay is satan...way too easy to click "buy now". I think Iv had things in my mailbox or on the way for 2 straight months now.

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

Sales are up!!

I don't even wanna hazard to guess how much I've spent. But all-in-all it's worth every penny cause it's my past time and keeps me busy....sometimes too busy![:-] Even at work I catch myself thinking of RC's and sometimes I wish I didn't have that damn internet at work...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

As far as the girlfriend thing goes...she doesn't have to like it, there are plenty more that are OK with it No woman worth a damn will make you stop something you enjoy.
The single most intelligent thing I've heard today

Too many guys out there are "yes hun."

No woman in the world is worth taking away something you truly enjoy and love doing. I can see having to limit what you spend to a certain degree. But, if your woman makes you get outta the hobby.....you'd better rethink your situation.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Shenanigans

Girlfriends do not have the authority to ask you to alter ANY of your hobbies. Only if they become wives do thay have a say in anything...even then it is questionable how much grief they should give you. Unless of course your spending the childrens college fund away, or missing little league games modifying chassis. In that case your probably just a bad Dad or Husband and should be divorced.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
lee172

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
No woman worth a damn will make you stop something you enjoy.
Expertly put.

A rough guess tells me i have spent around £10,000 in the few years ive been in the hobby.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 AM
martsrc

Credit cards are bad................................
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: martsrc

Credit cards are bad................................
agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.