RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Whats your worst run away story?

Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whats your worst run away story?

If you have been in the hobby long enough you have had it happen, a car running away. I have had it happen to a 1/8 himoto torpeda, i was using a dx3 and at about 1/2 throttle it just took off from me, almost hit someone then it received signal again. Sent the radio to horizon and they did what they had to do and its been fine ever since.

Better story, i had a 1/8 nitro truck from another company that just took off across a park, missed every tree and ended up under the wheels of a nyc bus, everthing right down to the engine was broke, i was just looking for pictures, i know i took them, just have to find them.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:51 AM
tommygun32

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Whats your worst run away story?

Running a XTM XT2 in the local park, also a cricket pitch, so if you know what that is, you'll know the size of the area is quite huge. Just driving around a bit in the late afternoon when I lost all input control. This thing shot off at full tilt heading towards a group of toddlers playing in a small sand pit. Plowed through the sand box, missed the kids by inches, sailed airborne between two park benches where the parents were sat and slammed into a tree about 20 feet later.

And yes, I had installed the optional 'fail-safe' and set it up properly.

Can't tell you the feeling in the pit of my stomache watching that thing hooning towards the kids with no control over it. And they were way too young to know how to get out of the way.

Next day went out and bought a digital tx and rx with built in fail-safe.

Have never 'bashed' anything since then. It's either only in a controlled area or on the track my cars get fired up now.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i know, that feeling of having no control is terrible, you can feel it right in your stomach.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:03 PM
HJJFFFAA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been doing this for a long time and have never had a runaway. [sm=cool.gif]
Old 08-29-2010, 01:16 PM
suburban_hooligan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

iv only had 2 runaways both with my HPI nitro RS4 2.
i was running in the local elementary school playground (think bigger than a footfall field of perfectly flat smooth asphalt.)  im out there making passes, running back and forth.  the receiver pack went dead.  car takes off at full speed about 50 yards or so and crashes into the chain link fence.  bounces off the fence and shoots off at about a 45 degree angle the pipe popped off and the car heads for the back fence still at full speed.  it bounces off the back fence and got stuck.  by the time i had got down there to it the engine had shut off.

the second incident i was running in the street in front of my house.  i was making a turn around a manhole cover.  somehow the receiver pack fell out (zip tie broke) car takes off at about half throttle, nails the driveway lip in the curb and goes flying, it does a full front flip lands perfectly on the sidewalk, and takes off up the driveway and crash's into a neighbor i do not like or get along with's garage door.  with an impact that flushed 2 different neighbors out of there house's because they thought a real car had it the door.  still don't know how that damn receiver pack came out
Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM
dougruss3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have also been doing this for a very long time and had only one runaway. It was with my monster gt which is all decked out in aluminum, including the full rollcage. I was running it on the street one day and had a receiver glitch which made it go full throttle under a parked car. I had to get a floor jack to raise the car high enough to get my truck out. fortunatly there was no damage to the mgt but it put a nice size dent in the rocker panel of the car andalso broke the brake line which I fixed for free for the guy who was very understanding.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had 2 runaways
1 was when I let my nephew drive a Nitro MT1 I built out of a box of parts I bought of some dude labled spares. Got a whole truck in it
Anyways my nephew clipped a curb, and the throttle arm popped off the motor. along with the steering linkage from when he clipped it. thing went flying down the street till it hit a pothole and luckily the hit of the pothole veered it into a curb instead of a car.

2nd was when I put a failsafe on my MT2... the fail safe caused me to lose control, and bust an a-arm... Failsafe went in the garbage after that. Now I run without any fail safes and not had a single run away since
Old 08-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No runaways here. Although my bud running his t-maxx in an empty parking lot has. I guess his radio died or something and it went wot strait into the wall. Needless to say it was totaled.....
Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
jatoracing33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had only one (knock on wood). I guess the last time I cleaned it out I shut the receiver box on the wire, damaging it. I didn't have any problems, though, until I was driving my Jato up and down my street one day. It had reached the end of the street and, luckily, I had it slowed down to a crawl. I lost all control of it and it slowly crawled onto the main road. It made it across safely, stopping in some grass on the other side. Just needed a new receiver.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM
fastandloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm...Boss handed me the remote of his savage, Two passes later....whhaaaaaaaa ....smash!!!! into a solid 15ft high concrete embankment/wall in our parking lot.
Lets just say hes not the type to monitor or think about his rx batts, and bashed the truck all weekend without charging it. Then he hands me the remote and i was like ok ill rip it LOL then i watched it smash itself at wot! Only broke a few parts on the frontend which i had to fix lol slave labor i tell ya! I personally have never had a truck i built or was responsible for have a runawayKNock on wood.! Seen my boss have enough for both of us LOL (3 other times i recall) I never run AAs and charge my trucks faithfully before i bash period. And just havent had any mechanical failures causing runaways.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Steve.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had only one run away about 15 years ago, been using a failsafe, killswitch, or throttle return spring ever since ! I was entirely my fault, I was screaming across a parking lot at WOT with my OFNA 1/8 buggy when my battery failsafe kicked in and stopped the car. Unfortunately like an idiot I disabled the FS for a little more run time... bad move. The next pass I noticed I couldn't stop the car and it hit a curb at WOT. Instant parts car, however I did not recover all of the parts , it hit that hard. It hit so hard that the engine moved forward and jammed the clutch bell against the spur.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
kaiser01

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

back in the day (91 ish) i was working at a hobby store. i built alot of cars for customers as well as running the front end.

we had a pb mini mustang on the shelf, new in box. i had never heard of pb (i guess they were popular in the uk).
this kit sat on the shelf for years until one day the owner asked me to build it so we could display it (and possibly sell it).

so i eagerly accepted (i always wanted to open that box to see what it was). i took it home and started to build it.
i was less than impressed with the layout and how it was built. i had to boil the plastic parts to make the "harder".
anyhoo....the build went pretty smooth, it was the first two speed i ever put together. when it was done i installed my own electronics(novak t1, trinity 11t dbl, futaba 3pb pcm)and took it for a test drive.

i took off down the driveway with no issues, got it out onto the street and floored it. second gear hit and all of a sudden it glitched and i couldn't slow down. at full throttle in second gear it slammed into a telephone poll.
it snapped in half and took out the entire front end. it was a complete loss. less than 30 seconds of runtime and it was just a pile of fiberglass and plastic.

needless to say it never made it to the display shelf. we couldn't get parts for it so it just got tossed into the trash bin.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
rasper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first car was a thunder tiger ts4e pro. Still came out that time with a mechanical speed control. Anyway, some day went by without problems, and other went by with minor glitches (as the back then LHS described them). on this particular day iwas at the local mall on the track, just messing around with the other cars on a friendly race. Went around the second corner and into the down straight. Opened up the throttle as i knew my car was fast on straights and possible gain a position or to, and then it happened.....the serve pushed the throttle WAY past the max point and off of the set points. stopping directly on the "all out open power point. It basically welded the copper together. Didnt even get the chance to steer.....the car ended going straight into the gutter....got it back the next day though and never raced it since.......
Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM
savagecommander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

had an old power racing kitana, with the .27 motor- $300 at my LHS, i couldnt beat it. got it home, threw some alkaline batteries in it just for break in. got to the end of the process, my brother comes home and says "lets see what its got" so i start tooling around the yard, and all of a sudden it takes off..... naturally the first instinct is to chase it (like youre going to catch it and turn it off) and we lived right off a major road, so we thought it was trouble. the buggy took off southbound, and somehow turned westbound in between two buildings, headed straight for the road but clipped an antenna, shattered the gas tank, and ended up on the lid in the ditch-just feet from traffic. isnt it funny how much ground you can cover when your adrenaline is pumping? i think me and my brother ran one hundred yards in less than five seconds....

thats my story- WORST story, im with some buddies and they are running bajas at the local soccer field. one takes off WOT, we give chase. jumps a berm, and lands on the lid. the owner was only three steps behind it, so he goes over the berm but immediately jumps back over shouting and shaking his hand. burned on the exhaust i thought, but then rips his shirt off and starts smacking his body and running back towards us [X(] - BEES - [X(] it was like someone open fire- we scattered in every direction screaming like a bunch of girls. after the smoke cleared, we discovered the baja had landed right on top of some kind of nightmare bees from the fifth dimension. these things left bleeding swollen wounds the size of pencil erasers. (i watched for anaphylactic shock) the baja motor died a horrible upside down death, and upon further inspection the culprit was a shorted battery wire. not exactly sure how that happened, but it turned his RX into ash.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 PM
TIGER76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

naturally the first instinct is to chase it (like youre going to catch it and turn it off )
Seen that a few times lol always makes me laugh

The rc plane flyers are usually the best for that one, watching a fully grown man chasing across a field aiming his tx at the plane in hopes of a signal connection
Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think a plane run off is worse than a car, could cause alot more damage. I had a rocket take off vertical instead of horizontal one time, that wasnt much fun.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:53 PM
rasper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HimotoRacingUSA

i think a plane run off is worse than a car, could cause alot more damage. I had a rocket take off vertical instead of horizontal one time, that wasnt much fun.
Tell me you didnt chase it...!!....that would have been so funny to see.....

@savagecommander
Dude......Bees are one of those species that DOES NOT LIKE nitro vehicles......at all.......along with certain dogs it seems......Ive seen here by me some kids running a Traxxis nitro straight into a steel bin full of wasps......i laughed so hard i was rolling on the grass, till one of those sombi^^hes stung me.......then it wasnt funny anymore...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rasper

Tell me you didnt chase it...!!....that would have been so funny to see.....

Nope, packed up the kids, put the rocket stuff away and drove away, i was in the middle of a large park but didnt know where it went so i figured i would just leave, lol.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 PM
RC Scab Ab

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have an Ofna Mutilator which lost signal and ran into my neighbor's lawn chair. My neighbor was a poor 80+ year old man who couldn't move fast enough to get up and move. Good news is that it hit the leg of his chair and not HIS leg.

I was just making some adjustments in my garage, then testing those adjustments up and down my street- not going full speed. What sucks is that I inadvertently gunned the throttle for a nano-second and that is the exact spot when the signal decided to go bye-bye.Lesson - - ALWAYS be cognizant of your battery power!!

Thought for sure I was going to end up with a bill for an ankle replacement - or even a wheelchair.

Stuff like that really makes your heart stop. I think I didn't touch my cars for abouta week. It scared me that much.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think we all have ran that low battery knowingly.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Shabbernigdo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So omg one day i was haulin ass arround my front yard with my revo then all the sudden my transmitter died and my revo rolled about 3 feet before the fail safe kicked in and brough it to a screechin hault.    The End

moral of the story GET A FAIL SAFE.   like 20$$ best investment you can make on a fast RC.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Failsafes are not 100%, cant hurt to use it but i have seen run offs with them.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
mjg3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well dusted off the classic tmaxx last weekend. new everything EXCEPT chassis and radio system. everything went well during the break in of the os18cvr ,tranny shifting good, suspension working. steering and braking. took it along with my other trucks and buggys to the local park. well got it started i let it run for a few secs with the ignighter on it. pulled the ignigntor reved it twice then all of the sudden wide open across the 10 acre field and burried itself 30 ft into the woods!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Shabbernigdo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Failsafes are not 100%, cant hurt to use it but i have seen run offs with them.
true not much in life is 100% guarnteed but i do have to say all the fail safes i haveon my vehicles have flawless records so far.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Haddi Taha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

electrics dont really have these problems, as soon as it loses coonnection, the motor become neutral and the car rolls and u just have to steer it to safety.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service