Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Just ordered another savage ! I'm happy 2

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Just ordered another savage ! I'm happy 2

Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 PM
PeeBeMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered another savage ! I'm happy 2

I notices that there are two kinds of savages, 4.6 & 4.6 ss.. whats that all about ?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Just ordered another savage ! I'm happy 2

4.6 is RTR and has the F4.6 engine (the better of the 2 engines), and is RTR
the 4.6SS has the POS K4.6(I have one, its not too good), and is a kit
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 PM
futureboy1969

The SS is is has more ajustment in the suspention. turnbuckles, pin tires . Things more for the track or for the basher who like more ajustments. there might b other things to...
not sure.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 PM
PeeBeMe

thanks guys !
Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 AM
john2364

I have the SS and am very happy with the engine. Nevertheless, I can not compare it to the f4.6 because I do not have it. I am happy if my engine starts easily, keeps running and holds a tune. The SS has a bunch of small upgrades over the RTR. Some of the small things were mentioned. It also has a heavily upgraded spor gear as well as an upgraded clutch bell, much better disk breaks, tuned pipe and other upgrades. The dirt bonez are far better tires as well. The only problem with the dirt bonez is that they will not hold up on pavement so if you run a lot on pavement then you will shave them bald quickly.

The SS is really a much better platform. You will want to upgrade many things on the x that you will not feel the need to upgrade on the x ss. All you get on the x is a slightly better engine and crappy radio gear which you will want to replace anyway.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: john2364

I have the SS and am very happy with the engine. Nevertheless, I can not compare it to the f4.6 because I do not have it. I am happy if my engine starts easily, keeps running and holds a tune. The SS has a bunch of small upgrades over the RTR. Some of the small things were mentioned. It also has a heavily upgraded spor gear as well as an upgraded clutch bell, much better disk breaks, tuned pipe and other upgrades. The dirt bonez are far better tires as well. The only problem with the dirt bonez is that they will not hold up on pavement so if you run a lot on pavement then you will shave them bald quickly.

The SS is really a much better platform. You will want to upgrade many things on the x that you will not feel the need to upgrade on the x ss. All you get on the x is a slightly better engine and crappy radio gear which you will want to replace anyway.
not slightly better engine
way better engine IMO, I own both engines
I will say the k4.6 performance wise isn't too bad when it runs... I've had issues getting mine to run. Hell took it out yesterday and got blisters on my hand from the pullstart getting it to turn over then it would randomly die out. Pulled out my buggy that has a F4.6 in it thing started 2nd pull and didn't stop once.

You are the 2nd or 3rd person whe said they like the Kingstar engines that I've seen. Go to the savage board and you will not see many nice things said about them.
On mine 10 tanks in the con-rods brass bearing shattered. Air leaks from what most people say start at around 5 gallons(again I've seen 1-2 others that didn't have an issue till 9 or 10 gallons), vs the F4.6's most people use them till 9-10 gallons easily.

It seems you are one of the lucky few who got a good kingstar engine so be happy. General concensus on the savage board is sell the K4.6 engine while its still in the packaging for $120 and buy a LRP

But that is just my experience. I will say one other thing I will NEVER own a kingstar engine again.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:20 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I love my K4.6. Its been nothing short of awesome really. One of the best nitro engines I have owned as far as reliability.

Eric
Old 09-04-2010, 03:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I love my K4.6. Its been nothing short of awesome really. One of the best nitro engines I have owned as far as reliability.

Eric
You are one of the few people that didn't have issues I meant in my post
Old 09-05-2010, 12:11 AM
woodwore69

I feel even more blessed I have a k5.9 that runs good hardly ever have to tune much starts easy only have 3+ gallons but fingers crossed it lives on