RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Run Without Air Filter Oil? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10212729-run-without-air-filter-oil.html)

Nitro Racer 18 12-22-2010 05:40 PM

Run Without Air Filter Oil?

What would happen if I ran a HPI Baja 5b without air filter oil? My LHS isn't getting more until next Wednesday or Thursday.

Argess 12-22-2010 05:50 PM

RE: Run Without Air Filter Oil?

Is it absolutely dry, or does it have some residue left in it?

All the oil does is attract small particles. The filter will still filter, but not nearly as well. If you're running on grass, it's probably fine. If in a dusty area, such as dirt or pavement, it's more risky.

You can always get that Bel-Ray air filter oil from your local motorcycle shop. That's what I'm going to use next time as I have some around for the dirtbikes. I'd do that if I were you.

1320Fastback 12-22-2010 06:04 PM

At least use some motor oil or some cooking oil from your kitchen.

Yes the filter its self keeps birds and small children out, the oil takes care of the rest.

Nitro Racer 18 12-22-2010 06:23 PM

I normally drive on pavement.

Argess 12-22-2010 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Nitro Racer 18

I normally drive on pavement.
That may be the worst.....very fine dust.

rc awesome 12-22-2010 06:44 PM

Air filter oil traps dirt, so I don't know bajas are pretty expensive i wouldn't risk it. Any other hobbie shops near you?

Nitro Racer 18 12-22-2010 06:55 PM

Only 1 HobbyTown within a few miles.

Devils-Reject 12-22-2010 07:11 PM

don't do it you can easily fry your piston

cheezer1222 12-22-2010 08:06 PM

In all likelihood you'll be just fine running without. The stock air filter is good at keeping dirt out. I, myself, don't get too bent out of shape if I don't oil the air filter regularly. I have had my baja for 3 years now and haven't had a dirt related issue. As with any choice like this there is always a certain amount of risk, and you just need to decide whether the risks outweigh the rewards.

Devils-Reject 12-22-2010 08:10 PM

oh air filter oil... i thought just air filter...... ok now thats not to bad at all just dont run without filter... with out oil isnt bad. you can use almost any kind of oil temporarily baby oil, motor oil, tranny fluid you dont need the actual filter oil

Bluethunder3320 12-22-2010 08:20 PM

so much BS about the expensive r/c car "air filter oil"

there isnt supposed to be such thing........

i usually dont put oil on my air filter wether its a 8hp b&s or a 3cc nitro motor.

wal-mart engine oil is fine if you want......

The_Shark 12-22-2010 09:14 PM

dang! im i the only one that knows the secret? for a 2cycle motor (or nitro) go to autozone/advance auto and pick up a specter air filter cleaning kit, for like $15 you get two big bottles of cleaner and filter oil. it will last you forever.

blam!

Devils-Reject 12-22-2010 09:18 PM

OR GET A $2 BOTTLE OF TRANNY FLUID OR  jug of 10w40 oil at the dollar store for $3

The_Shark 12-22-2010 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Devils-Reject

OR GET A $2 BOTTLE OF TRANNY FLUID OR jug of 10w40 oil at the dollar store for $3

meh, i dont like using motor oil, its a bit thick and not stickey enough.

if you do use oil, use two cylcle oil, still specter oil is the best bet.

Lars from Norway 12-23-2010 03:49 AM

I simply clean them in washing powder and oil them with 2 stroke oil. Easy as that.

Devils-Reject 12-23-2010 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Devils-Reject

OR GET A $2 BOTTLE OF TRANNY FLUID OR jug of 10w40 oil at the dollar store for $3

meh, i dont like using motor oil, its a bit thick and not stickey enough.

if you do use oil, use two cylcle oil, still specter oil is the best bet.
yes i know i said use as a temporary fix.
if you use to thick of an oil and it change how your motor runs

rc awesome 12-23-2010 08:59 AM

with 2cycle oil you will be fine just don't run in really dusty areas.

Nitro Racer 18 12-23-2010 09:29 AM

I'm going to Advanced Auto. Do they also sell 2 stroke oil and a 1 gallon gas can?