RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   HELP: Newb question (engine dies, lost compression?)(also t-maxx trouble) (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/1056742-help-newb-question-engine-dies-lost-compression-also-t-maxx-trouble.html)

KFC_Chicken 08-15-2003 12:40 AM

HELP: Newb question (engine dies, lost compression?)(also t-maxx trouble)

I got a HPI nitro rush awhile ago, nothing but trouble(bought used). Got all the problems fixed and the engine starts messing up!

I havent driven it for awhile, but when I did last. It would go for like 5 minutes, the top would smoke, it would die, and wouldnt start again. I would wait 10 minutes and try again it would start and die 5 minutes later. My dad said it had lost compression, and thats why it wouldnt work right.

Could that be the problem? (also looking to buy a new engine that will fit it, if it is the problem)

~Thanks

Also my traxxas T-maxx 2.5 (I got used).
1. doesnt come out of reverse very well(needs adjustments?)
2. New problem that when it goes into 2nd gear it sputters and dies, and takes a long time to get going again?
3.When stopped it like surges forward?(not 100% of the time but a lot)

~Thanks again!

Shadow102 08-15-2003 12:51 AM

first off replace the engine in your rush the FE engine is a piece of junk put like an OS .15 CV in there

As for the t-maxx the reverse is rly goofy on my bro's it was a waste and we just installed the foward only conversion which removes alot of junk from the gear box reducing the rotational mass and it accelerates alot better now. As for the two speed it sounds like it is engaging way too soon adjust the 2mm allen screw through the hole in the top of the trans by turning it to the right about 1/8th to 1/4 of a turn. if you mean it surges foward like the front end dives foward??

KFC_Chicken 08-15-2003 12:58 AM

Thanks a lot.

(first off im a newb, and just want an easy engine fix on the rush, can you link me to some place or someone selling the right one? ONLY if you want to, no biggy)

The t-maxx surges like as if i was using the throtle and goes like an inch each time it surges(useing the brake doesnt help). Bad tranny or electronics?(i have no clue what im talking about :D )

samofsiam 08-15-2003 01:01 AM

Re: HELP: Newb question (engine dies, lost compression?)(also t-maxx trouble)

Hey there, well, if you do not want to invest in another engine (not all of us are rich =), it seem slike your Rush is overheating. Smoke should only come from the exhaust, and never from the top of your engine (where the glow plug is). This is a sign of an overheating engine. Try turning the high speed needle counter-clockwise about 1/4 of a rotation, and see if that will fix it.

Sam

Quote:

Originally posted by KFC_Chicken
I got a HPI nitro rush awhile ago, nothing but trouble(bought used). Got all the problems fixed and the engine starts messing up!

I havent driven it for awhile, but when I did last. It would go for like 5 minutes, the top would smoke, it would die, and wouldnt start again. I would wait 10 minutes and try again it would start and die 5 minutes later. My dad said it had lost compression, and thats why it wouldnt work right.

Could that be the problem? (also looking to buy a new engine that will fit it, if it is the problem)

~Thanks

Also my traxxas T-maxx 2.5 (I got used).
1. doesnt come out of reverse very well(needs adjustments?)
2. New problem that when it goes into 2nd gear it sputters and dies, and takes a long time to get going again?
3.When stopped it like surges forward?(not 100% of the time but a lot)

~Thanks again!

KFC_Chicken 08-15-2003 01:03 AM

Re: Re: HELP: Newb question (engine dies, lost compression?)(also t-maxx trouble)

Quote:

Originally posted by samofsiam
Hey there, well, if you do not want to invest in another engine (not all of us are rich =), it seem slike your Rush is overheating. Smoke should only come from the exhaust, and never from the top of your engine (where the glow plug is). This is a sign of an overheating engine. Try turning the high speed needle counter-clockwise about 1/4 of a rotation, and see if that will fix it.

Sam

Where is the needle? the idle thing? Also the fly wheel is REALLY tight with the gear, could that be over heating the engine?

~Thanks

Shadow102 08-15-2003 01:08 AM

you can pick up a decent OS .15 size engine for about $100 maybey less from towerhobbies.com

also as for the surging that is from the idle speed being set too high it is idling your engine high enough it is making the clutch engage and disenagage quickly. to fix this you can do one of two things. set you controler trim so that the throttle is all the way back and you are right before the brake engages if your spring on the linkage going to the throttle on the servo is being compressed then you know it is working. if the truck still tries to inch foward turn the little tiny idle screw on top of your carb to the right about a hair or so until the inching stops (i think that is where it is i didn't have my 2.5 sportmaxx long enough to look at the carb)

KFC_Chicken 08-15-2003 01:17 AM

Thank you again! I ran out of fuel, so ill try that tomorrow when I pick up some more. Thanks for all your time!

Shadow102 08-15-2003 01:23 AM

what do you mean the flywheel is rly tight with the gear?? the clutch bell should spin freely with the spur when the car is turned off. also the needle is the long thing you turn to richen or lean out the engine turning to the left richens and cools down the engine and makes it go slower to the right makes it hotter, leans it out and can hurt your engine

KFC_Chicken 08-15-2003 02:54 AM

First off I dont know the terms because I have had little time with RC cars. All thought I can fix about 75% of paintball guns :D .

For the needle thing is that by the air filter on the carbourator?

And the car when turned off, the wheels barley move, the black gear looking thing is extremly tight, It is all stock to my knowledge?

What should I do? Let me charge my camera battery and take pictures in the morning!

samofsiam 08-15-2003 03:55 AM

Oh, about your Maxx. I have that problem too, and if it surges, then your idle may be too high. If you rev the T-maxx, it should rev w/o moving, until the transmission catches. Then it will stay caught until the the engine idles again. The engine is probably where that line is of where the engine catches the tranny. Just lower your idle speed.

Sam

Quote:

Originally posted by KFC_Chicken
Thanks a lot.

(first off im a newb, and just want an easy engine fix on the rush, can you link me to some place or someone selling the right one? ONLY if you want to, no biggy)

The t-maxx surges like as if i was using the throtle and goes like an inch each time it surges(useing the brake doesnt help). Bad tranny or electronics?(i have no clue what im talking about :D )

jsswcks 08-15-2003 04:07 AM

first off take out that motor and throw it as far as you can
if your having problems with it trying mess with the ajustment screws are only gona make it worse if you dont know axactly
what yor doing ,if the motor ran good amonth ago and now it wont stay running i would save up and get a new motor youll save your self a lot of frustration try os motor they pretty much bolt right in to hpi try hobbypeople.net

Shadow102 08-15-2003 05:18 AM

yeah its the long thing sticking out of the carb next to the air filter

and what you are describing is the slipper it seems like it may be too tight also jsut take pictures and we will try to help from there

btw i know what you mean about the paintball guns i actualyl got out of paintball to get back into RCs kause paintball was getting too expensive...and y do i get the feeling that the 25% you can't fix are either electronic or include the autococker...that gun is one pain in the butt to tune

KFC_Chicken 08-15-2003 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a pic.

KFC_Chicken 08-15-2003 04:51 PM

Oh ya, the paintball gun comment :p

I have pretty much mastered cockers. I know mags, all spyder clones, done a little shocker/impulse, tribal, timmys, angel, excalibur, viking, and so on, ive easily owned 40++ paintball guns in the last 3 years, and I like to take them apart when I get them and see how they work(all about the same).

Ya, it is expensive, im going to try and get into airsoft, its like $20 for 8,000 rounds, Even cheaper!

KFC_Chicken 08-15-2003 07:01 PM

Now the car does not start up at all. Changed the glow plug, charged the started over night, could the starter be bad?

Also the pull start only catches half of the time?

When buying a new engine, how do I get one that will fit in my car? How do the engine mounts work, like do I need to buy one to match the engine/car?

jsswcks 08-15-2003 09:19 PM

u can get another 15fe it will mount just like yor old one
the 15fe mounts are biult into the motor on the bottom
most other motors have mounts that are on the side of the motor
so yu will have to buy removable motor mounts $5.00
i would go with os or xtm15 or for alittle more a fantom15
these motors u can use your current exaust and manifold