RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   friends who dont like my hobby (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10920553-friends-who-dont-like-my-hobby.html)

Malydilnar 01-22-2012 11:22 AM

RE: friends who dont like my hobby

dude, Just ignore them. Im 15 too and honestly, if they just keep on making fun of you then their really not your friends.

jpjamie 01-22-2012 11:23 AM

You are learning the basics of mechanical and electrical engineering mostly by learning how to fix things after they break.

You're learning how to solve problems others cannot deal with. You're learning sequential analysis, if/else logic, how to think in three dimensional space or (out of the box) but most of all you're thinking about solving problems. When you come upon a problem in the future, you more than others will likely tackle it head on and feel that wonderful gratification of figuring it all out yourself.

While your "friends" see you playing with toys, they press the RESET button on their video games to solve THEIR problems, isolating them from dealing with the reality of failure. They see life as being fixed by the RESET button, need instant gratification, lack the ability to deal with the problems in life and most of all cannot handle failure.

Later in your life some of your "friends" will eventually seek out guys like you, because they can't figure out what happened and what to do next.

yakfish 01-22-2012 12:46 PM

Boys play with toys. As you get older that won't change. All that changes as you age is the toys you play with get more expensive! Get yourself a bigger nitro car and your friends may change their miinds. The Mini E-revo does seems a little more toyish.

xerxes 01-22-2012 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: BobbyMcGee

You think it's bad to be playing with yourself at your age? Nonsense! At your age, its normal for you to be playing with yourself! Since you are 15 years old, my best advise is for you to find a 15 year old girlfriend.

Besides that, adults of all ages are playing with toy r/c cars and toy r/c planes.
The difference between boys and men, is the size and cost of their toys.

Remember this ... the one who dies with the most toys, wins!
play *by* urself. not with. [&:]

H5487 01-22-2012 02:26 PM

Back when I was in high school (never mind how long ago that was!) I was the only one who "played with toy airplanes" and I was regularly ridiculed by the superior "cool" guys. Upon graduation, I enlisted in the Air Force and subsequently lost track of most of my old high school classmates. However, at my ten year reunion, I ran into many of those "cool" guys and learned that they had unexciting jobs, were unhappily married, and had ongoing problems with alcoholism. I smiled to myself at the end of the night when I realized how much my life had turned out so much better than theirs!

I know it's hard to put up with jerks when they dis you because of your hobby but I promise you that someday you'll be happy with how you turned out, and amused at how poorly they did.

And it is very true about what some of the earlier responders have said: Those who can't, ridicule those who can.

Harvey

straitnickel 01-22-2012 02:34 PM

Screw them, friends that kill your enjoyment, not a good friend, your lucky though you can make new friends.im stuck with a wife and kids who dont like this hobby.enjoy it and forget them.

firestone 01-22-2012 02:37 PM

hi rcbasher123 dont let your so called friends bother you. their only jealous of you having a mini e revo. im 38 ive been into rc for 30 years i started with an electric car my friends also teased me and made fun of me. but when i got my first nitro and fired it up for the first time they started to ask me where could they buy rc cars as they always told me they were toys until they seen a nitro car for the first time. now they are into rc in a big way and told me they know now rc are not toys. good luck

DaveG55 01-22-2012 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: firestone

now they are into rc in a big way and told me they know now rc are not toys. good luck
Oh, but they most certainly ARE toys.
Expensive, sophisticated toys to be sure.
But don't kid yourself, they are toys and they are fun!

SyCo_VeNoM 01-22-2012 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Malydilnar

dude, Just ignore them. Im 15 too and honestly, if they just keep on making fun of you then their really not your friends.
Pretty much sums it up. If they don't accept you as you are ditch em its not worth trying to conform to what they want.
Chances are after you graduate high school you will never see them again (unless its a small town).
Out of the 40 or so people I knew in high school I talk to 1 regularly (odd part was we hated each others guts for most of high school), and one other every now and then. Even people I knew from college I talk to one or 2 every now and then, cause eventually you will lose touch with each other, and grow in opposite directions unless you share a bit in common.

essyou35 01-22-2012 02:57 PM

Dont ditch your friends for RC,  Just do it occasionally.  RC car guys usually do get picked on more than RC plane guys for some reason.

If you must obsess then you should find some other friends who do it too.   However, no matter how you cut it, RC is pretty geeky compared to watching football or lifting weights.  You're going to get shunned by someone for doing it.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-22-2012 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: skydve76

Dont ditch your friends for RC, Just do it occasionally. RC car guys usually do get picked on more than RC plane guys for some reason.

If you must obsess then you should find some other friends who do it too. However, no matter how you cut it, RC is pretty geeky compared to watching football or lifting weights. You're going to get shunned by someone for doing it.

Thing is he wouldn't be ditching any friends for RC's cause true friends wouldn't be harassing him over it... Those are the kind of people not worth associating with.

Now if he shoves it in their face non-stop that is one thing, but if doesn't bring it up, or bother them with it then they are just being morons.

essyou35 01-22-2012 03:13 PM

If you ditch your friend for a hobby you become a geek.    No friends and just RC.  Believe me you want your friends and when you get my age you'll have lots of time for RC because your wife wont care if you do RC so long as its not with your friends :)

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-22-2012 04:33 PM

For every dude that thinks it's lame to be playing with toy cars, there is a hot chick that will want to drive your toy car. The numbers are not fudged one bit.

Just remember that, young man.

joebahl 01-22-2012 04:40 PM

I did not think they had kids in FL just old retired people waiting to kick the bucket. Just teasing guys ,i lived and went to school in newport richy Fl when i was a young sprite and the old people were crabby then on their three wheeled trykes .lol I say if they are picking on you for your cars and trucks they must not have anything to keep them busy and they need a hobby more than you do . joe

TheKennyKiller 01-22-2012 04:53 PM

I have had some of the same problems with people throwing their opinions in your face when they are not wanted. The thing that annoys me is when people say things like "they can't all be wrong, maybe it is you". That statement really gets to me as more often then not I find ignorant people like to band together and when they think they are getting to you it almost becomes a form of entertainment for them. Life can be depressing when you feel like an outcast. If I could say one thing to rcbasher123 it would be to hang in there and if you find even just one person who accepts you for who you are then hang on to that person and enjoy the time spent with them. I have wasted too much time worrying about what others think of me and if I could have that time back I would do it all differently.

cutaway 01-22-2012 05:01 PM

Get new friends.

The_Shark 01-22-2012 05:04 PM

If you ditch your friend for a hobby you become a geek. No friends and just RC. Believe me you want your friends and when you get my age you'll have lots of time for RC because your wife wont care if you do RC so long as its not with your friends :)
a freind doesnt make you quit doing something constructive that you love.

trust me, friends come and go. there is nothing wrong with being a geek, lots of geeks eventually make lots of money and have a hot chick for a wife.

right now is where you decide who you are, a follower, a indivisual.
me? im a indivisual alright, im a espresso drinkin, fish eatin, pipe smoking, corvette driving, rc car playin, .45 shootin, boomerang throwin, god lovin, Rush listening, carshow goin, antique fan collecting, football watchin- MAN, i follow no one, i fit no category, no one can pin me down, im very kind and open, but try to step on me and i throw it right back in your face and hit you where it hurts. (ive made kids cry in highschool, even a "friend" once, needless to say friend no more.)

sure im not going to go upto a girl i like and say "hey baby, im the owner of a MINT 1930 emmerson 73648 fan" i just ease into letting people know what im about, no one has to agree or like what you like, but should they TURN on you or make you feel bad about yourself when its constructive-screw em.

Quikturn 01-22-2012 05:31 PM

I agree with all the "keep your friends" posts. You became friends in the first place for a reason. It doesn't have to turn into a conflict. In fact, You should get a second car or truck and if you're playing with one of your friends see if you can get them interested in it. If you can get one of them sucked into it other friends may follow.

DustBen 01-22-2012 05:43 PM

If you ditch your friend for a hobby you become a geek. No friends and just RC. Believe me you want your friends and when you get my age you'll have lots of time for RC because your wife wont care if you do RC so long as its not with your friends :)
Sounds like you're a victim of what you think of other people and afraid of what other people think of you.

Sad.

essyou35 01-22-2012 05:53 PM

I also think you can do RC and keep your friends if you do it in moderation and keep it to yourself. Think of it like jacking off.*

<font size="2">*Note, this post is only half serious and some humor is intended.</font>

</p>

essyou35 01-22-2012 05:55 PM

If I really cared Iwould not be flying toy RC jets and airplanes. Yes I am 34 and play with toys I admit it. Its because I didnt get them when Iwas 15-25 while Igot my degree and a hot wife. Its all about priorities man.

Ok Just kidding. Hes 15 who cares.

Ido think people should not lose friends over woman, money, and RC cars. Thats all Iam saying.</p>

ORIGINAL: DustBen

Sounds like you're a victim of what you think of other people and afraid of what other people think of you.

[/quote]
</p>

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-22-2012 05:56 PM

ThunderbirdJunkie wanted to punch you in the face

*Note, this post is only half serious and some humor is intended.
Then he lol'd[&:]

essyou35 01-22-2012 06:15 PM

Igot really scared for second there. Until Iseen the last line. Whew!

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie wanted to punch you in the face

*Note, this post is only half serious and some humor is intended.
Then he lol'd[&amp;:]

GerKonig 01-22-2012 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: DustBen

Sad.

At his age that is common:-)

Gerry

The_Shark 01-22-2012 08:20 PM

sometimes friends grow apart and change, all my friends turned on me trying to fit in at his age. i told em off and got new friends.

the only thing you should never turn your back is your family. you only get one.

better yet, use that backbone and tell them "ok, whatever, just lay off, its my hobby not yours" or something to that effect, a good friend will lay off, a bad one will persist.