RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   New tool set (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11174170-new-tool-set.html)

imperviously 07-30-2012 01:10 AM

New tool set

Well i was thinking that it is time for me to get a tool set. I can't spend a lot of money and go out and get a hudy set. So i was looking into something like this http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2835, it has all the tools that i would need and aslong they don't break soon then they will do the job for me, Can anyone vouch for these? I didn't want to get them and break. I was thinking it might be either this or going to a store that sells tools for general use.

Foxy 07-30-2012 01:33 AM

RE: New tool set

If you buy cheap tools you'll be buying them again next year or sooner (of course it depends how often you wrench).

Slightly cheaper than the Hudy stuff is the JR stuff, slightly cheaper still is the Jammin products sets.

I suggest you look at these, no cheaper...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...82&filter_cat=

although if I were you and making a mjor tool set replacement, I'd get an electric driver and a really good set of bits for it (possibly hudy, the bits are much cheaper than the drivers).

cumquat 07-30-2012 03:47 AM

all tools marketed for rc are grossly overpriced. i'd go to the hardware store and pick up the drivers you need and when it comes to a specialty part, like a clutch puller, then buy an rc-marketed tool. you'll save a small fortune and have equal, if not superior, quality tools.

Foxy 07-30-2012 03:52 AM

I don't agree, I think you get what you pay for. Have you ever tried a hudy tool, cumquat? There is a huge difference between them and hardware store stuff, in terms of the accuracy of the heads, the hardness and flexibility (springyness) of the material and the longevity of the tool. Not even Facom stuff (used by most full scale formula 1 teams) compares. Sure it's overkill, but it's overkill that you can feel, quantify and appreciate. Anyway, that's my opinion.

cumquat 07-30-2012 04:32 AM

i guess that's one way we differ. i figure if it's good enough for a guy to make a living with, it's good enough for me. i've never even seen a hudy driver in person before.

JohnP2 07-30-2012 05:44 AM

I own that tool set (but have the metric one). It is decent enough. Changing out the drivers can be a bit of a pain (it's not that fluid), and the loops in the pouch that hold the drivers are so tight I usually have to pry it open further with some needle nose pliers to fit the driver back in....but it does get the job done. I would recommend it for the price.

The Mad Modder 07-30-2012 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I don't agree, I think you get what you pay for. Have you ever tried a hudy tool, cumquat? There is a huge difference between them and hardware store stuff, in terms of the accuracy of the heads, the hardness and flexibility (springyness) of the material and the longevity of the tool. Not even Facom stuff (used by most full scale formula 1 teams) compares. Sure it's overkill, but it's overkill that you can feel, quantify and appreciate. Anyway, that's my opinion.
I agree that you generally get what you pay for and that good tools are a must due to durability and how they fit the fasteners. However I'm not sure I'd say that even hudy is better than high end automotive tools like facom, snap-on, SK, matco, etc. If you see how the average auto technician treats his tools, they have to be pretty darn good to take as much abuse as they do.

imperviously 07-30-2012 09:00 AM

Yeah i have been reading a lot and i have never owned "RC tools" . We have a lot of tools, my grandpa and my dad have been into building (100% creating their own, not buying kits) airplanes and much much more and we don't have a single rc tool in my house. It is just that i was tired of grabbing others tools and decided it was time to actually get my own special set to keep for just me in my rc box you know... I think i'm going to go to a hardware shop and look at what they have. I understand that some of the rc tools may be good, but i know that it isn't better than high end tools that people use to make a living with or they would be using better tools lol. Only thing i see in RC tools is honestly, for the flash and bling of it/ it being a good size and long/narrow to get into those tight squeezes and I didn't know if any of the hardware shops carried tools that would be like hex wrenches that are the similar style to rc tools. I've read that a lot of brands of rc tools will ball, strip, and even break very easy unless you want to put out a lot of money, and i'm not paying for a set of tools that are going to be the same price or even more than my motor. I was just seeing if there were any cheap RC tools that were actually reasonably priced, the dynamite one that i link is a good price i feel in general. If it is good or not, i don't know, but i feel that it should be like the standard price for a ok or pretty good tool set for around the same price.

All in all, anyone have anything to say about the dynamite produce i originally linked?

imperviously 07-30-2012 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I own that tool set (but have the metric one). It is decent enough. Changing out the drivers can be a bit of a pain (it's not that fluid), and the loops in the pouch that hold the drivers are so tight I usually have to pry it open further with some needle nose pliers to fit the driver back in....but it does get the job done. I would recommend it for the price.
Thank you for being the only one to actually post something that i was looking for about the product that i linked.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Foxy 07-30-2012 11:07 AM

I didn't comment on the dynamite tools because I live by the rule 'if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all'. With my own little addendum... 'unless provoked'. ;)

Your link doesn't work for me by the way. Just goes to their homepage.

I assume you are talking about one of the top three sets in this search... http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...+tools&x=0&y=0

I'll be brutally honest with you since you asked. I wouldn't touch those tools with a long stick. Just my 2mm ball driver cost more than those sets, now 5 years old and I'm starting to think about replacing the tip, since the corners aren't as sharp as they used to be. That 2mm hudy driver is my most used tool out of all of them by a factor of ten. As you may or may not know, 80% of the screws on top end RCs are 2mm hex button head machine screws. During that driver's life I've gone through 2 sets of Team Associated imperial drivers. The tips snap. Hudy tools might be absolutely outrageously overpriced, but they are the best, in a meaningful way that anyone can appreciate. Sure I could have bought 10 cheap crap drivers over the 5 years for the cost of the hudy, and maybe they would even have lasted, but that driver has spared me from stripped hex heads and works 100% every time, far outperforming my facom allen drivers. I won't labour the point, I've made m view clear. Don't get me wrong, I've never bought a $300 tool set, I have about 4 hudy tools now, I've been buying them slowly when another reliable tool breaks or needs replacing. Really when buying a driver, what's the difference between 10 and 15 bucks for the really good stuff...

The Mad Modder 07-30-2012 12:04 PM

I've used cheaper, all in one sets like the dynamite set when I first started RC and didn't really like them. The fit between the bits and the fasteners are usually a bit loose, which makes it easier to strip them.

If you're looking for hex drivers or hex wrenches, Bondhus makes very good ones. I have a few sets of them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...us++&search=Go

I've always just used craftsman brand screwdrivers.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-16-pc...6&blockType=G6

imperviously 07-30-2012 01:53 PM

I understand where your coming from. If i was already a racer, or w.e the i understand. But, i don't have the money to spend right know on a extremely good set like a huddy... I just don't have the money, it is an expensive hobby i know. I got a sc10 that i wanted to start racing and going to the track, and stuff and i just don't have the money to buy expensive tools as of right now. With that being said, i can drop 20$ on tools, i can't go and drop 15$ per tool. I understand if you want quality go spend it, but i was just wondering if it was worth me getting that because 20$ for a FULL toolset of all the tools that i need for my rc cars, if they work and don't break in a month or so then it would be fine you know? If not, I will go to a store that sells tools and buy tools there that i need that might be better quality than the cheap rc branded tools because normally *no offense* rc branded tools are overpriced..... and we all know that lol, huddy tools for instance. yeh people buy them because they work and they are good, but honestly they could be sold for cheaper. But they don't need to be because people are buying them and that's how they make money...

JohnP2 07-30-2012 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: imperviously
With that being said, i can drop 20$ on tools, i can't go and drop 15$ per tool. I understand if you want quality go spend it, but i was just wondering if it was worth me getting that because 20$ for a FULL toolset of all the tools that i need for my rc cars, if they work and don't break in a month or so then it would be fine you know?
I'm right there with you. Maybe I will "learn the hard way", but until I start breaking tools and/or they don't do the job, I will stretch my dollars as far as I can on them. I don't view Dynamite tools as cheap. Some are better than others - as with any brand. I have lots of tool sets by them: including this one,which I love, and have had zero problems with them.

This is not to say the high-end $30 hex wrench is not worth it, but I am happy with my tools and they are not high-end. ;-)

echthelion 07-30-2012 03:29 PM

ive had the integy TiN hexs for over a year and there still going strong and they were cheap

robwiljas 07-30-2012 11:30 PM

I've had the Dynamite Traxxas startup set for 3 years now, use it all the time even occasionally on non RC stuff and and I couldn't be happier with it.

imperviously 07-31-2012 12:13 AM

Really?? I've read a lot recently that the driver gets worn out and it just doesnt hold up/ can't put too much pressure or it will just strip or w.e.. , or that tips break on like first time use. That got me really scared of buying it, so seeing that you used it for 3 years now and its fine? Now i don't know what to do lol.

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

I've had the Dynamite Traxxas startup set for 3 years now, use it all the time even occasionally on non RC stuff and and I couldn't be happier with it.

Eman77 07-31-2012 06:22 AM

I have this set at home from Associated, for hex:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJTR0&P=7

It's not the best, but it's not crap either. They've done rather well for me over the years, so I'm pretty satisfied.

I'd love to try top notch tools, but I really can't justify the cost at this point.

littlemel 07-31-2012 07:40 AM

Those look like nice sets. I work at a hobbyshop and recently got to use one. I hate them, its a pain to switch the tips and get them to lock( if you even can). Some people like them some don't I would get an integy set for $35 and be done with it. http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...1#.UBf8f2FrPng

porterdog 07-31-2012 08:53 AM

You can buy individual wrenches in several styles from McMaster-Carr.  They're good quality, (L-keys are American made, the screwdriver-type I got were European), reasonably priced, and you don't need to get a full set unless that's what you want.  McMaster aren't the cheapest, but I've never gotten anything junky from them and their ship speed cannot be touched.

Foxy 07-31-2012 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I have this set at home from Associated, for hex:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJTR0&P=7

It's not the best, but it's not crap either. They've done rather well for me over the years, so I'm pretty satisfied.

I'd love to try top notch tools, but I really can't justify the cost at this point.
That's the set I've bought twice and both have two broken drivers. Tips snapped.

imperviously 07-31-2012 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: porterdog

You can buy individual wrenches in several styles from McMaster-Carr. They're good quality, (L-keys are American made, the screwdriver-type I got were European), reasonably priced, and you don't need to get a full set unless that's what you want. McMaster aren't the cheapest, but I've never gotten anything junky from them and their ship speed cannot be touched.

Wow! mc master, all the hex wrenches i need (long set) and only like 10 dollars buy getting them individually. Are these really good? There tips and stuff dont break/strip things?

jbondbmw 07-31-2012 10:50 AM

Any thoughts in this kit?

http://www.micromacromundo.com/tamiy...l-set-8pcs.asp

http://www.micromacromundo.com/tamiya/TA74085.jpg

Eman77 07-31-2012 10:51 AM

Really? Wow. I got mine several years ago, haven't replaced anything yet.

So one of the following is true:
1) You wrench far more than me

2) You need anger management classes

:D

Foxy 07-31-2012 10:57 AM

Actually, the answer is....

3) I used to wrench on large scale cars a lot, which use thread lock far more liberally.

It was weird though, especially the first time the green driver broke, I was just doing up a button head and it gave way, loads of little pieces. Then the following day I was being a bit rough with the black handle one and it broke too. I'll put that one down to 50-50. When it happened to the replacements within a few weeks, I was pretty pissed. For what its worth though, I paid less than the price on Tower for them even here in Europe.

The Mad Modder 07-31-2012 11:21 AM

Tamiya makes good tools, I have a few modeling tools, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver by them. They can be rather expensive, though, which is why I don't own more of them.