RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Traxxas Critics opinion please (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11277525-traxxas-critics-opinion-please.html)

rexbirk 01-01-2013 10:31 AM

RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

I am older and mostly fly gas aircraft but I have had several Traxxas Nitro Rustlers. I still have the first one I bought 7 or 8 years ago used. I do not race.

Traxxas is not designed or intended for racing, for someone who occasionally takes it out for some bashing it works great. I can still get any part I need for mine after all these years. Traxxas's support is great in that regard. Lots up upgrade items out there also.

For guys like me Traxxas is the way to go.

9five9 01-01-2013 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

and 9five9 I guess if you rip it apart all the time it gets easier. My experience was ripping down the rear end the 1st time. I've got 20+ RC's, and have replaced parts on all of them, but honestly if a beginner new to the hobby had to swap the rear arms either they would drop out hating the hobby thinking every RC was that hard, or it would end up at the hobby shop(prolly why I see at least 1 every time I go there for repair).
Good point.

BKoz559 01-01-2013 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: rexbirk

I am older and mostly fly gas aircraft but I have had several Traxxas Nitro Rustlers. I still have the first one I bought 7 or 8 years ago used. I do not race.

Traxxas is not designed or intended for racing, for someone who occasionally takes it out for some bashing it works great. I can still get any part I need for mine after all these years. Traxxas's support is great in that regard. Lots up upgrade items out there also.

There you go; for a casual driver this makes sense. Because the platforms are so old parts are readily available virtually everywhere and they are good vehicles for most situations. It's when we start to get specific about how we use our vehicles is when Traxxas doesn't start to fit in anymore.

Kitsune 01-01-2013 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

What could Traxxas do to change there models that would make you more interested in them? Opinions welcome.

I dont own one single model of theirs and it is because of the plastic drive axels and the grey injection molded plastics. That is it in a nutshell for me. They seem to me to be the missing link between toys and hobby grade and it is the perception of poor quality because of the two things I listed.

I do own a VXL brushless system and have beat the living shizz out of it and it works great yet.
What could Traxxas do to make me like them again? Simple, start making half decent kits again. I remember I bought my first Stampede in full kit form. It was great cause' you could provide your own choice of electronics and a rolling chassis was cheap at about $100. I remember Stampede kits dropped to $76 and Rustlers to $65 towards the end of their production run.

rexbirk 01-03-2013 02:31 PM

+1
Tastefully said.

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

There you go; for a casual driver this makes sense. Because the platforms are so old parts are readily available virtually everywhere and they are good vehicles for most situations. It's when we start to get specific about how we use our vehicles is when Traxxas doesn't start to fit in anymore.

outlawbrett 01-03-2013 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

outlawbrett

what market do u think traxxas are aiming for?
i think traxxas is aiming there stuff for the first time buyer. there not making there stuff to race. like i said before, traxxas is WAYYYYY over priced. but i do love my revo. and i like the fact i can go to LHS for parts. i will never buy another traxxas tho after owning hpi, losi, ofna. MHO, there all fun.

outlawbrett 01-03-2013 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: supertib

the worst RC car I have owned was a Revo..........the second worst was a T-Maxx........ end of story..... these were the most expensive, least reliable, highest maintenance machines I have owned to date bar none..and i have been in the hobby since 1984 ........ And whats even crazier is what I used to do with my revo's and T-Maxxes was gentle compared to what I do to my race machines...........I couldn't even dream of putting a Revo thru what I put my Serpent truggy thru.........And whats even crazier is I almost had as much money into my BB Revo as I do my full race Serpent Truggy....And the quality and capability difference between the two machines is staggering ...In the end I think Traxxas is a good company, good for getting people into the hobby, but their machines are pretty light duty and really not something I would get to hung up on.....Definitely not products geared toward the more advanced hobbyists like me..... not to sound snobby...but after driving the cars I do a Traxass feels like a kiddie toy to me...probably no different then someone with a Revo test driving a Nikko turbo Hopper.........The Nikko is going to feel like a lame kiddie toy next to the traxass, just like the traxass feels like lame kiddie toy next to my Serpents..just a big ol layer cake...To some the Nikko turbo Hopper is an amazingly fun machine and I can respect that totally...just like a I respect anyone with a Traxass...or better to say I don't disrespect anyone because they run a Traxass.... But its all in perspective....for me there is no going back to running RTR grade gear, I am way too hooked on the higher end cars, or actually more accurately I am hooked on the performance capabilities of the higher end cars.....I just would no longer be entertained by the performance capabilities of a Traxass product, even one fully hopped up just doesn't compare......

Anyway.

Happy New Year !!!
well said.

rexbirk 01-05-2013 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I don't see how this thread can be of any use, it's not like the traxxas CEO will ever read it.
It's going to be full of peoples opinions, no facts.
So true...and kind of sad[:o]
lol its very sad, Its like they love to hate traxxas, and love talking about it... its like a strange obession
these stupid topics come up every now and againe. For what. to here stories that so and so's car did this and so did his mates one, I cant tune a nitro motor and fried it, but I will blame traxxas oh and my favourite, since buying brand X I havent had any problems.

Its like they have all these problems with there first car (mainly nitro) then 3 or so years later they dont have any problems with there next car.
it makes me think maby there problems were there learning curve.

Come on guys pull ur heads in, no good will come from this topic
Amen! But it seems that's life in the forums. If you sift thru the crap sometimes you can get useful information. I do hate to see people bash a reputable manufacturer though.

The Mad Modder 01-06-2013 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I don't see how this thread can be of any use, it's not like the traxxas CEO will ever read it.
It's going to be full of peoples opinions, no facts.
So true...and kind of sad[:o]
lol its very sad, Its like they love to hate traxxas, and love talking about it... its like a strange obession
these stupid topics come up every now and againe. For what. to here stories that so and so's car did this and so did his mates one, I cant tune a nitro motor and fried it, but I will blame traxxas oh and my favourite, since buying brand X I havent had any problems.

Its like they have all these problems with there first car (mainly nitro) then 3 or so years later they dont have any problems with there next car.
it makes me think maby there problems were there learning curve.

Come on guys pull ur heads in, no good will come from this topic
Amen! But it seems that's life in the forums. If you sift thru the crap sometimes you can get useful information. I do hate to see people bash a reputable manufacturer though.

There's a simple method of avoiding that; don't click on threads with subjects you don't want to read about.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-06-2013 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

There's a simple method of avoiding that; don't click on threads with subjects you don't want to read about.
yup

side note I noticed people saying people love to hate traxxas. If anyone looked I'd say 90% of the posts (not counting the ones where traxxas fans came in and said we all hate the company) pretty much were pointing our weaknesses customers would like to see fixed. Lets face it my question is if RPM, and other companies can fix Traxxas's issues with certain parts why can't Traxxas fix the issues and sell a better product?
I sometimes wonder if RC manufacturers don't get kickback from aftermarket companies to not fix glaring issues.

mattster1971 01-06-2013 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

yup

side note I noticed people saying people love to hate traxxas. If anyone looked I'd say 90% of the posts (not counting the ones where traxxas fans came in and said we all hate the company) pretty much were pointing our weaknesses customers would like to see fixed. Lets face it my question is if RPM, and other companies can fix Traxxas's issues with certain parts why can't Traxxas fix the issues and sell a better product?
I sometimes wonder if RC manufacturers don't get kickback from aftermarket companies to not fix glaring issues.
You my friend are smart. You know that there are conversations with these aftermarket part companies. And not to mention the massive replacement part catalog they enjoy. The RPMs of the world probably have drawings and cads before they hit the sales floor.

TheKennyKiller 01-06-2013 06:35 PM

What? You guys think RPM is paying Traxxas to not make stronger arms and stuff like that? Sounds a little far fetched to me.

supertib 01-06-2013 08:14 PM

maybe traxxas owns RPM LOL !

turok007 01-07-2013 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: supertib

maybe traxxas owns RPM LOL !

i already said that. lol and i believe it might be true. the same goes for castle.

TheKennyKiller 01-07-2013 08:16 AM

lol So you guys think Traxxas owns RPM and Castle? What about Pro-Line?

The Hedgehog 01-07-2013 08:32 AM

They don't own RCU that's for sure.

mattster1971 01-07-2013 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Nah, Just a very liberal communication between them. RPM is Rohart Precision Molding out of Chino, CA. I don't see any affiliation between them and any other company per se, they do produce parts for many different manufacturers products. I just wager they have a relationship with them, not saying what level its at. I work in the corporate world and I assure you all is never what it seems.

turok007 01-07-2013 11:18 AM

What? You guys think RPM is paying Traxxas to not make stronger arms and stuff like that? Sounds a little far fetched to me.
put it this way on the traxxas forum a user says my A arm has just broken. and everyone answers with go and get a RPM replacement. or the VXL system goes up in smoke. most will say go CASTLE. even the mods say it. so for traxxas who sells replacement parts. why push buyers away to other company's. without getting something back in return.

Haddi Taha 01-07-2013 05:37 PM

If traxxas owns castle, why would they sell castle systems to there biggest rival, hpi to use in their rtr vehicles?<div>
</div><div>I think their is just a good relationship between them and they are working together to bring more money for both companies. Some people only buy traxxas because of the massive aftermarket support.....</div>

SyCo_VeNoM 01-07-2013 08:00 PM

don't think so at all
just think they get royalties for every part sold by RPM as I'm sure RPM pays them to be allowed to put for TRAXXAS (model) on the packaging, and honestly they might get a kickback for not fixing some glaring issues (look at the merv's Knuckle Axle Hub Carriers for example how come Traxxas hasn't fixed the issues with those stupid pegs popping out? but RPM, and a few others have way more elegant solutions that work)

Castle no, but can see how someone might think so with how huge of a premium castle charges cause their ESC says castle ;)

Pro-line is the goodyear of the RC world their stuff ends up at every manufacturer on stock vehicles ;)

TheKennyKiller 01-08-2013 02:13 AM

I can't say I agree that Traxxas is in bed with any other company, sure they would have some kind of relationship to but I can't see money changing hands, if anyone has an proof I would be glad to hear it.

SyCo, RPM knuckles/axle carriers are known to be worse that the stock ones, I gave up on them because the pillow balls would pop out all the time, the stock ones on the mini are horrible but the RPM carriers are much worse.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-08-2013 08:50 AM

I can't say I agree that Traxxas is in bed with any other company, sure they would have some kind of relationship to but I can't see money changing hands, if anyone has an proof I would be glad to hear it.

SyCo, RPM knuckles/axle carriers are known to be worse that the stock ones, I gave up on them because the pillow balls would pop out all the time, the stock ones on the mini are horrible but the RPM carriers are much worse.
good to know I was planning on ordering them
maybe I'll look at the aluminum ones then seeing they cost only a little bit more than the RPM

turok007 01-08-2013 12:35 PM

lol if someone had proof they might let traxxas into the secret first.