RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Groove worn in tires? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11284854-groove-worn-tires.html)

t-max97 11-02-2012 04:58 PM

Groove worn in tires?

On my rs4 all 4 tires but mostly the back have a groove worn on the inside edge, I thought maybe the body rubbed them some but it overlaps the tires so i dont know what it is, has this happened to anyone else? one of them actually wore thew the tire and they're pretty new.

FahrtAutoRC 11-02-2012 05:05 PM

RE: Groove worn in tires?

Do you have a pic of the damage, by chance? I would check first and make sure that there is nothing else rubbing besides just the body. Might even be a case of something not assembled correctly and rubbing only when you trun, so compress the suspension in various way while you inspect it to see if anything hits near the bottom of the stroke. If it is actually a flat spot instead of a groove, then I would say you are running too much camber, but it is hard to tell with no pics.

t-max97 11-02-2012 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture. I cant figure it out.....

phmaximus 11-02-2012 05:49 PM

Could that be too much camber, there does not look like much wear in the middle of the tyre.

With out seeing more pics...

It looks like u are running very very excessive camber and have worn out the tyre to the point that it's collapsed onto the sidewall. And is sagging because the rubber is so thin compared to the sidewall.

Also what tyre foam are u running?

t-max97 11-02-2012 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Could that be too much camber, there does not look like much wear in the middle of the tyre.

It looks like u are running very very excessive camber and have worn out the tyre to the point that it's collapsed onto the sidewall. And is sagging because the rubber is so thin compared to the sidewall.

Its all stock including the camber setting.

phmaximus 11-02-2012 05:58 PM

I've seen this happen before... Not saying u are doing this ok, this is just for other guys to think about

sometimes u can get this from having a high grip racing setup, then bashing it on concrete.

Because the setup has lots of camber to hold traction around fast bends, when it's going straight and the back is down from hard acceleration, if there is wheel spin, it wears out tyres just like in that pic.

I would recomend re checking ur camber and really look at the car during the bends, how much is it leaning over?
And would definatly play around with the top suspension arm mount points. What holes are u running ATM

phmaximus 11-02-2012 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Its all stock including the camber setting.
Hmmm, I don't think they set the camber from factory correctly, but that's ok, u can work from that

t-max97 11-02-2012 06:06 PM

As soon as I fix my clutch i will, There are two holes to use and its on the top one on the front and rear towards the chassis. and the bottom one on the right at the tires in the rear and and the ones closest to the tires in the front. If you understood that haha. I was doing alot of high speed turns and sliding around lol.

Anthoop 11-03-2012 01:17 AM

I had a tyre wear like that also. Negative camber was not excessive.
I think the tyre wears so thin that when driving it balloons even more in the thin area than the rest of the tread ....causing even more wear...in the end my tyre ripped leaving 2 seperate parts.
I guess the rubber is thicker in the middle than it is at the sidewall junction.

phmaximus 11-03-2012 02:24 AM

One would think if it was due to tyre ballooning wouldent the wear mark be more towards the centre near where the tyre would ballon the most?

Yes I agree that it's going to lead to sepperation of the tyre, but I don't agree that it's from the tyre ballooning

IMO looks like there is to much camber for his driving style

If the driver was easy on the corners but was getting wheel spin out f he corners and down the straights he might be better running about. 0.5deg camber on the rear, but by the looks of hat pic thats has go to be near 3 deg?

t-max97 11-03-2012 05:42 AM

One would think if it was due to tyre ballooning wouldent the wear mark be more towards the centre near where the tyre would ballon the most?

Yes I agree that it's going to lead to sepperation of the tyre, but I don't agree that it's from the tyre ballooning

IMO looks like there is to much camber for his driving style

If the driver was easy on the corners but was getting wheel spin out f he corners and down the straights he might be better running about. 0.5deg camber on the rear, but by the looks of hat pic thats has go to be near 3 deg?

How do you tell how degrees its at?

Anthoop 11-03-2012 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I am only guessing at what happened with my tyre, I had around -1 deg of camber. I still have the tyre from the other side that has worn in a similar fashion and I can feel the rubber is thinner at the edge than in the middle (picture below)

ORIGINAL: t-max97
How do you tell how degrees its at?
There are many different tools to measure camber, you could get a rough idea with just a protractor, I have one of the set up stations (picture below).

9five9 11-03-2012 12:41 PM

I've had one vehicle come from the factory with the nastiest camber - to the point where I thought it was broken. You can't always trust factory settings.

t-max97 11-03-2012 04:12 PM

I adjusted the camber so theres not as much now, I need one of those set-up stations lol. Ive only ever had off-road trucks and stuff like this wasnt as critical so i didnt know where to set it.

phmaximus 11-03-2012 04:14 PM

dont worry about a setup station they are sooo expensive... get one of these
RPM camber gauge, they do a tow gauge to... oh they are about $9-

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...Akf3zhOAQ-I01w

t-max97 11-03-2012 04:16 PM

dont worry about a setup station they are sooo expensive... get one of these
RPM camber gauge, they do a tow gauge to... oh they are about $9-

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...Akf3zhOAQ-I01w

Awesome ill get one sometime.

phmaximus 11-03-2012 04:19 PM

Before I had one I use to use my drivers licence and mesure the top gap, that way i could get both sides the same.
what I did was watched the car for how much it leaned over on the track, then i would simulate that on a bench by hand & set the camber so the wheel was upright and level, and doubble check it by checking the tyre ware

Gilchrist111 11-06-2012 05:09 AM

Large steel checkpoint and the rubberized rim is not only dressed in out very quick on the tangible but it is dressed in a pattern in the concrete..i think its Tyre lineament problem in the Tyre...whats your opinion?

<br type="_moz" />

FahrtAutoRC 11-06-2012 12:17 PM

English would make this easier to understand, in my opinion.

ORIGINAL: Gilchrist111

Large steel checkpoint and the rubberized rim is not only dressed in out very quick on the tangible but it is dressed in a pattern in the concrete..i think itsTyrelineamentproblem in theTyre...whats your opinion?