RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   HB D8T Equipment (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11293226-hb-d8t-equipment.html)

JohnP2 11-10-2012 02:38 PM

HB D8T Equipment

I'm looking to get the D8T in a few weeks, and am excited due to it being my first kit (and my first truggy).

I'd appreciate everyone's feedback on the equipment I've decided to purchase with it. It's not set in stone, but fairly confident below is what I'm going to get. In the event I'm making a poor decision on any of this, please offer an alternative. Thanks!

Engine: Werks B5 .21
Pipe: Werks 2013
Steering: HiTec 7950
Throttle: HiTec 5545
Tx: Airtronics MX-Sport FHSS-2
Tires: JConcept's Sevens (yellow)

Notethat I DO plan to race this truggy. I would rather not blowmy walleton it (I'll do that when I build my Associated 8.2) but for now just want something to get me started.</p>

echthelion 11-10-2012 02:48 PM

RE: HB D8T Equipment

id look at the Futaba 3PL over the Airtronics just because the receivers are cheaper and it only takes 4 AA batterys

have you picked your bump box and the batterys and charger for it? and lets not forget a fuel gun</p>

JohnP2 11-10-2012 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: echthelion

id look at the Futaba 3PL over the Airtronics just because the receivers are cheaper and it only takes 4 AA batterys

have you picked your bump box and the batterys and charger for it? and lets not forget a fuel gun
Thanks for the reply.

Good call on the starter box. Had not even thought about that.Can you (or anyone) recommend one....or should I just build one myself? Regarding the fuel gun...not thought of it either. Figure I'd get my ass kicked at the track due to slow re-fueling before I invest...thus I can truly appreciate it.
</p>

echthelion 11-10-2012 05:37 PM

cant help you there im a pull start man lol

but i forgot to say have you looked at 6v battery packs no point in getting good servos unless your running 6v thru them

yakfish 11-10-2012 06:04 PM

Good choices all around. I assume you plan on running 2s lipo for the receiver since you selected a high voltage steering servo. One thing you want to watch out for is to be sure your throttle servo is HV as well. I'm not familliar with the hitec 5545 servo you have for steering, unless that was a typo and you ment a hitec 5645? The hitec 5645 is IMO not fast enough of a servo for throttle and it also is a standard voltage servo meaning you might fry it if you are running high voltage for your steering servo. basically if one is highvoltage they both should be high voltage unless you are just running a 6v receiver pack.

You will be very happy with the B5 engine. Werks make the smoothest running engine I have ever tried! RX/TX brand boils down to personal opinion and I believe they are all pretty good for the most part. Finally tire selection will have more to do with your track than anything else.

For starter boxes I have a couple pf these and they are pretty good maybe a little on the weak side for most people but it got the job done. But there are probably better ones out there.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMPP5&P=ML

HerrSavage 11-10-2012 10:18 PM

Good choices - kit and engine/pipe especially. I prsonally don't bother with high voltage and lipo stuff, and don't think it's necessary. Just my opinion. My advice would be two Savox 1256 servos and a normal nimh hump pack. Then redirect any savings towards tires, box, spares, etc..

For the radio, I went and got the Airtronics MX Sport earlier this year, but found it clunky, and yeah, eight AA's was a pain. So I got the MX-V a couple months ago. Nice, compact, light, good quality radio. The US version for some reason comes with a white wheel, but you can paint or dye it black pretty easily. Airtronics just makes the best radio stuff afaic.

If it were me I'd also be looking at a Proline Bulldog or Jconcepts Punisher body for the D8T.

nitroexpress 11-11-2012 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I'm looking to get the D8T in a few weeks, and am excited due to it being my first kit (and my first truggy).

I'd appreciate everyone's feedback on the equipment I've decided to purchase with it. It's not set in stone, but fairly confident below is what I'm going to get. In the event I'm making a poor decision on any of this, please offer an alternative. Thanks!

Engine: Werks B5 .21
Pipe: Werks 2013
Steering: HiTec 7950
Throttle: HiTec 5545
Tx: Airtronics MX-Sport FHSS-2
Tires: JConcept's Sevens (yellow)

Notethat I DO plan to race this truggy. I would rather not blowmy walleton it (I'll do that when I build my Associated 8.2) but for now just want something to get me started.</p>
Unfortunately, the D8/D8T battery box is not LiPo friendly sizewise. 1 or 2 LiPos can be found to fit, but its not all that easy. HV servos and LiPo power is really not needed. Save some money and go with a NiMh hump pack and HS-7955TG. BTW, a CNC servo horn is a must have.

I strongly suggest youfrequent
other forums that are race orientated and have specific vehicle information. Look to RcTech. Race information from racers will save you heartbreak.

JohnP2 11-11-2012 09:11 AM

Thanks for your responses. This does help.

Yakfish -yes, I meant the 5565. With 6v, I believe the speed is0.11. Is that not fast enough?

Nitroexpress - the HS-7955TG specs show s 2.40 oz-in (with 4.8v)

Herrsavage - I LOVE the JConcept punisher. That is slick. Not a big fan of the stock D8T body, so appreciate the intel on this one. I'm confident I'll eff up the stock body paint job, so will give me an opportunity to practice on it. ;-)

Regarding the servos/battery power: Let's try another approach. My assumption is that with this kit, for throttle speed I want at least .13 and for steering torque at least 300 oz-in. Are those good minimum requirements? If not, what is?

Any additional information on battery packs, voltages, etc. is appreciated as that is an area I'm still learning about. I've read that the Durtrax 1600 NiMH pack will fit the D8T.Can anyone verify? If so, is this it: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXVTE5&amp;P=8

FINALLY: What about clutch set-up? Is the Werks Pro Clutch worth it? The price $54.99 is not bad at all.

Thanks again!

nitroexpress 11-11-2012 09:46 AM

Regarding the servos/battery power: Let's try another approach. My assumption is that with this kit, for throttle speed I want at least .13 and for steering torque at least 300 oz-in. Are those good minimum requirements? If not, what is?

Any additional information on battery packs, voltages, etc. is appreciated as that is an area I'm still learning about. I've read that the Durtrax 1600 NiMH pack will fit the D8T.Can anyone verify? If so, is this it: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXVTE5&amp;P=8

Thanks again!
Who uses 4.8V? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...what_smile.gif

At 6v the 7955 has 333 oz/in

http://www.servocity.com/html/hitec_servos.html

All NiMH humpback packs will fit.

yakfish 11-11-2012 02:02 PM

Thanks for your responses. This does help.

Yakfish - yes, I meant the 5565. With 6v, I believe the speed is 0.11. Is that not fast enough?

Herrsavage - I LOVE the JConcept punisher. That is slick. Not a big fan of the stock D8T body, so appreciate the intel on this one. I'm confident I'll eff up the stock body paint job, so will give me an opportunity to practice on it. ;-)

Any additional information on battery packs, voltages, etc. is appreciated as that is an area I'm still learning about. I've read that the Durtrax 1600 NiMH pack will fit the D8T. Can anyone verify? If so, is this it: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXVTE5&P=8

FINALLY: What about clutch set-up? Is the Werks Pro Clutch worth it? The price $54.99 is not bad at all.

Thanks again!

Yeah that servo would be nice for throttle response. I think your minimum requirements are about right too. I assumed you meant the hitec 5645 not the 5565. my bad. the 5565 looks like a great throttle servo! personally I wouldn't worry about spending big money on a clutch setup. just use what ever flywheel comes with the kit ( 3-4 shoe) you can mix and match different clutch shoes to work with what ever track conditions you are running. Just get an assotrtment of teflon and aluminum shoes with different springs. Just like everythign else there isn't one clutch for every track same as with tires, diff fluids and shock adjustments!

Ttowntoolman 11-15-2012 02:37 PM

I try to use a hump pack that has two leads on it......one to hang outside the box for charging in a hurry. I like the Ofna chrome top bump box that they sell in kit form at tower.....has a 12 volt motor and does not come with a battery. Than you can purchase a lipo to stick in the box so you never have issues with a dead gel cell. I use a 3cell 11.1 lipo in mine and it will last a whole race day with 3 guys using it no problem whatsoever. It also makes the bump box nice and light to carry around VS the gel cell.

The Hedgehog 11-16-2012 05:58 AM

Listen, I know you don't want to hear this, but investing in the best bump box you can buy off the bat will produce so many less headaches over your racing. The single motor ones are okay, and many people do have good enough success with them, but if you could somehow save up for this box, you will never need another one again, saving you money in the long run.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRLU1&P=ML

You don't have to worry about a fuel gun, any old bottle that you probably already have will work, when I go racing I hardly ever see anyone with a fuel gun unless it is a national event.

nitroexpress 11-16-2012 07:15 AM

The OFNA truggy box is probably the most recommended box around. But clone boxes with twin 775 motors are available. As expected, they are much cheaper.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/72p-b7060-...FYVFMgoddBgAiw

HerrSavage 11-16-2012 07:55 AM

My dream setup in a truggy would be an Alpha A352 with 0801 pipe, with a Hitec 7955 on steering (Tower has a cheaper clone of a very similar Hitec-built servo..), and something a tad faster - maybe an ACE DS1015 on throttle/brake. then the Jconcepts body for the D8T. Ideally, an Airtronics MT-4 radio, but if not, the cheaper MX-V is just fine.. I would also research D8T threads and find out which select few mods are absolutely necessary. Not all the knick-knack c.rap people buy unnecessarily - just the few bits that everybody seems to agree on. Then 2-3 sets of good tires. And yes, a good box is a must.

JohnP2 11-16-2012 10:56 AM

Are there any modifications needed on that "brand x" from NitroRCX to work with a D8T?

Thanks

nitroexpress 11-16-2012 11:45 AM

Are there any modifications needed on that "brand x" from NitroRCX to work with a D8T?

Thanks
No. Depending on battery type used (7.2V Nimh,12V lead-acid,7.4V LiPo), battery plug ends may have to be changed.

JohnP2 11-16-2012 07:24 PM

Thanks. I agree that something lke a starter box is one thing I don't want to skimp on....but at the same time don't need all the bells and whistles. At the same time, would lke something that will work on subsequent bump-start only cars I will purchase (all 1/8 scale).

I'm still unsure about the whole battery pack concept. if I understand correctly, getting a Lipo (which is 7.4 volts) will be challenging because only a few models will fit with the D8T. Consequently, I need to consider a NiMH (which is 7.2 volts)....correct?

I use AA batteries in all my cars, so the whole "humpack" concept is new to me. By using four AA batteries I assume that I'm outputting 6v, correct?

Essentially, just want to ensure I get the rightvoltageto take advantage of the electric components (servos, starter box, rx, etc). Thanks

HerrSavage 11-16-2012 08:37 PM

A Nimh humppack is 6V (5cells). You should have these anyway. Forget lipos IMO..

nitroexpress 11-16-2012 08:59 PM

<font size="2">

Individual cell voltage</p>

NiMh 1.2V nominal</p>

LiPo 3.7V nominal</p>

zinc-carbon or alkaline 1.5V nominal</p></font>