RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   beginner questions about rc cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11299470-beginner-questions-about-rc-cars.html)

robrob52 11-16-2012 10:26 AM

beginner questions about rc cars

Hello,

I'm looking for some information regarding RC cars. Here's the deal: I'm looking for a hobby for my grandfather because he can no longer walk, but his mind is still all there and is extremely bored everyday with sitting in his wheelchair and watching TV. He has always enjoyed working with his hands on cars and in carpentry. He built a RC helicopter once and enjoyed it but, it was crashed and we never got parts for it. I think he'll enjoy building a RC car, also. It's mostly the assembly I think he'll enjoy, then we'll spend time with my son (his greatgrandson) driving it. Anyways, I'm looking for recommendations of something that is of quality, and takes a long time to assemble. Also not sure if I should do Nitro or Electric powered. Are the electric cars mostly plastic, and the nitro made of heavier duty metals?

Thanks in advance.
rob<br type="_moz" />

steed2-inactive 11-16-2012 10:50 AM

RE: beginner questions about rc cars

Rob, Tamiya has your name all over it!! grab any one of their assembly kits and enjoy, as long as Pop's still has good dexterity, it will be perfect. I personally enjoy the building, repairing, and modding of Rc's more than driving them, (to a certain extent). Hop ofver to the tamiya website and take a look, I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Cheers bud-Scott

SyCo_VeNoM 11-16-2012 11:46 AM

Agree on Tamiya. They have a plethora of different kits, and there are a lot of them in the low $100 range that only need a radio, battery, charger(and some a $7 BEC or they blow the radio) that are pretty durable, and a wide variety.
Or if you want to get him a RC that looks scale there are the Axial SCX10's (they cost a quite a bit more though)

As for nitro vs electric construction. Yes electrics are generally more plastic then metal as the nitros need the metal plate to act as a heatsink for the engine, and if it was platic the engine would melt it and rip itself free as the nitro engines get to around 270 degrees where electrics can hit only 170ish before the motors fry so they don't have that issue.

On2_n_On4 11-16-2012 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: robrob52

He has always enjoyed working with his hands on cars I think he'll enjoy building a RC car, also. It's mostly the assembly I think he'll enjoy, I'm Also not sure if I should do Nitro or Electric powered. Are the electric cars mostly plastic, and the nitro made of heavier duty metals?
Thanks in advance.
rob<br type=''_moz'' />

humm... tamiya would be great for him., but I think an "old school" grandpa will love a 1:5 scale.

I don't know how much are you looking to spend, but a 1:5th kit will give him A LOT of pleasure. Not only the building process, but also working on it.

The Hedgehog 11-16-2012 11:53 AM

Tamiya all the way, start him off on an electric and then, later on if he gets hooked he can try a different power source.

Check out www.TamiyaUSA.com and just show him all the models! Almost 100% of them are kits that you build piece by piece.

robrob52 11-16-2012 01:14 PM

great thanks for the info!  Just ordered a Tamiya car kit to start off with.  Electric since it's starting to get cold.   Maybe we'll go with gas powered after the winter and if he likes it enough.

collector1231 11-16-2012 03:58 PM

Which one? I started my first kit on my lunchbox. What a joy it is!

robrob52 11-19-2012 11:08 AM

I bought the Tamiya Nissan GTR