RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   First time at a track - what I learned (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11305508-first-time-track-what-i-learned.html)

JohnP2 11-21-2012 06:09 PM

First time at a track - what I learned

My 12-year old son and I have an interest in racing, so we have to start somewhere. Today we practiced at a new track that opened by our house, and here is what we learned. ;-)

1. It's a lot different operating these vehicles 20 ft up in the air vs standing in a construction site.

2. Practicing without any turn marshalls, well that sucks.

3. People are not as friendly as I'd hoped. I tried to make small talk with one douche-bag (barbed wire arms tatoos and all) driving a Kyosho MP9 TK13 w/Novarossi BONITO engine next to me. However, he was too cool to chat with a guy running a Losi 810. It's okay. The track is probably the only place in life where he's remotely successful, and because of this has not developed any true social skills. ;-)

4. My 12-year old son is a better driver than I am. Either he is the "next one", or I am worst driver in history - we are that far apart.

5. My tires were not meant for this track. I had a pair of HB 'All-terrain' (HBS67620), but did not get much traction. The track was hard with about a 1/3" of thin dirt on it. What do you call that? Probably need a tire with shorter/fewer pins?

6. Although the d-bag referenced enjoyed the fan-following for his "show", he wrecked as often as I did driving my little ol' 810 (albeit he did so going 20mph faster). Ha! Still showed me it does not matter what you drive, driving skills is the great equalizer.

7. Driving fast without any skills is useless (I learned that one real quick).

8. I suck at the "multiple humps" whatever you call those. In time I imagine I'll get it down pact, but it got to the point my son stayed in that areas as I crashed at a 90% clip there.</p>

All in all we and I had a <u>TREMENDOUS time</u> andwe will be back over and over (as in2-4 times per week). We are hooked! Unfortunately my illusions of people sharing the love of the same hobby wanting to socialize while engaging in that hobby did not transpire - at least not at this track. Some folks were prettycool, but most were WAY to into it and did not want to chit-chat about <u>anything</u>. I find that funny though and won't affect my behavior. We are having fun and always will!I suspect in a year a so we'll be pretty embedded at that track. I'll certainly won't look down at newbies to the track - hell, I'll help them!</p>

The best part was on the way home my 12-year old said "People there did not seem friendly. That's what I like about you dad, you're always friendly to everyone". Awwww...corny, I know - but you dad's on here can respect what it means to hear something like that! ;-)</p>

NOTE: The link below is of our low-lights.He and Iended up racing (he won). ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi5Kn...p;feature=plcp</p>

cummins driver 11-21-2012 06:57 PM

RE: First time at a track - what I learned

Glad to hear you two had a great time [8D] I have only ran on a real track once in my time. My buggy was having issues and despite how much fun I knew I could have had there, my buggy had other plans. I did still have fun, just not as much as it could have been by a long shot.

Dont worry about the retards that are in the hobby. Believe me, it doesent matter where you go, what you are doing, or what sport you are into, there are good and bad in everything. Just like co-workers. Some people you like and get along with, and some peoples ego's are too big to get in the door and are too good for you.

Dont worry about your driving yet. Just try learning your speed and timing on the jumps and running good lines and dont worry about being fast yet. When I went to the track I was a little overwhelmed at how fast things were happening as I watched, but I think with practice you would catch onto it and become much better. I think staying on your wheels and being consistent is worth a lot.

And once again, dont worry about the negative people. Just be that guy that you would want to talk to because believe me; there will be others looking to talk friendly chit chat, and asking for help, and you may be in a position some day that you can really help them out a lot once you get more experienced.

Glad you guys had fun! I want to get back to a track sometime myself to try another go at it [8D]

Eric

nitrosportsandrunner 11-21-2012 06:57 PM

I hear you on practicing without a turn marshal!

The thing about RC, is that it draws all sorts of people. You will run into great people who will talk to you no matter who your are or what you drive. And then you will also run into those who want bother with you unless you drive the latest/greatest and most expensive stuff. And naturally you will just sometimes run into those who lack social skills.

nitroexpress 11-21-2012 07:03 PM

<font size="2">

Most people who have not raced, do not appreciate the difficulty of completing laps at a decent rate. It takes time and practice, much practice.</p>

In time, you will meet decent people at the track. Not all racers are D bags. At the track, try to watch the more successful drivers. Watch the lines they take and how they handle the jumps. Listen to when they let off the throttle coming into a jump. Sometimes, leaving the throttle on too long can cause a nose up take off. Just remember, like the Internet, not all advice is gospel.</p>

Improvement doesn&rsquo;t happen overnight. Don&rsquo;t be impatient. The major goal is to enjoy the experience.</p></font>BTW - In the HB brand, Megabite's would work better.

JohnP2 11-21-2012 07:30 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt">Thanks, guys.You are absolutelyright that "it takes all kinds" and believe me the d-bags don't phase me in the least. I actually laugh at them. I'm confident enough in myself tojust letit roll off. I know whatever I put my mind to I will be successful at as long as I approach it the proper way.

I'm HUGE into bass-fishing, and you run across thesame type of "hobby snobs" with that. My skillsat bass-fishing arefar superior to rc cars, and I am the first to help others on the lake if they approach me andask what I'm throwing asI'm holding a 9lbblack bass.;-)

Agreed about patience, also. If you see the video, you can seedid go pretty"slow". We learned thatlessonquickly after flying all over the place on our first few laps. It is no where as easy as it looks! Goingfast gets you no where unless you have skill, which we don't - yet.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif(That was the d-bag's problem, and why hekept crashing),Of course in all fairness, he was practicing too, and I've always heard "practice fast - race slow".

I'm just excited as hell because it was everything I'd hoped it would be. I can see why so many folks get into racing. Nitroexpress nailed it when he said people don't appreciate the difficulty of completing a lap at a decent rate. This is the beauty of it! <u>I'm all about challenges</u>, and have just found a new one. I imagine we'll practice 10-15 times more than prepare to get skunked in our first race. While I LOVE the 810, it was obviously an inferior car to some of those out there. But that's great. As I hone my skills, that gives me the excuse to invest in race class vehicles (D8T, RC8.2, 8B9, etc - oh yea, I'm getting them all!.) This place also has a dirt oval course and an on-road course (the class I'm very interested in). Their also setting up a "drift track" whatever the hell that is. </span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt">
God I love this hobby!</span></div>

phmaximus 11-21-2012 08:00 PM

Hang in there, once people start rembering ur face they might open up more, And rember some people just suck

Foxy 11-22-2012 07:01 AM

I've got one thing to say to you regarding getting started at the track.

DON'T mess around with the car setup (except tires as they are so critical, try to get the right ones on there from the get-go), until you can turn in 10 laps all within a second or so. Consistency is everything and how you will eventually win races. Once you have got what you can out of the current setup and are running consistently, start to make changes, ONE at a time. Then run 10-20 more laps and see what happened to your average time. This is how to make setup changes. Drives me crazy the guys at the track who haven't even run the car on the circuit yet and start asking for setup tips. Learn the track first and be consistent before you make any changes, is the biggest setup tip there is.

HerrSavage 11-22-2012 09:32 AM

Awesome track.. Thrash those buggies into the ground, lap after lap after lap.., then move on to whatever you get next..

As for people thinking they're cool based on anything to do with RC, well, screw 'em.... You just have to learn to ignore it - kind of like with the internet.. You develop a thick skin.. There are fools everywhere. If I'm being honest though, in my experience RC cars does seem to draw a disproportionate number of people like the guy you mentioned.. (both locally and in the internet forums.....) I like nitro RC enough to look past it. Not always easy.., but hey, you do what you do...

You're lucky though - you've got your son to run with... Huge advantage compared to having to do it all on your own..

One last bit of food for thought - if both of you really do get into racing, you might consider getting a truggy for yourself, and a buggy for your son. That way, you can pit for each other...

pcarluvr 11-23-2012 07:27 AM

Funny story that happened to me this week too. My brother expressed to me that my 9 yo niece, 14 yo niece, and 12 yo nephew may want to get into rc and that they would like to see a race. So a new track opened up by me behind a LHS. We went there just to see if people were practicing so the kids could see the cars/trucks on a track and there were a few there. My brother and I were asking people about it and some were more than happy to help but there was this "one" guy who,well, he was kinda like the guy Johnp2 described. This guy was pretty good from what I saw and he was kinda "bossy" if someone got in his way or crashed into him. Most people there weren't serious racers, just there to have fun and play but this guy was getting to me. He took his truck off the track to fix something and I went over to see his truck. I asked what it was and he said nothing. I asked how long he was racing and his reply was "a while". So, I went into the store and asked the guy if I could run around the track with my truck. He said as long as they are open and there are no races, anyone can run on the track. So, I went outside and had a conversation with the people who would talk to me and told them when I get on the track, they may want to get off the track! They seemed a little puzzled. So then I went to my car and started my tuck in the parking lot. When I hit the track (first time ever) with a 1/5 scale monster and proceeded to chase that @#%& the best I could, people pulled their vehicles over while I tried desperately to "get" this guy! Tight track for something that big as I was running over the pipes and tires that outlined the track and me going the wrong way didn't help either. I never caught him but did manage to piss him off and he left! I heard my 14 yo niece tell someone that her uncle Dave took care of him!

P.s. the kids are excited to give it a try!

supertib 11-23-2012 09:25 AM

In defense to all racers out there...

Don't judge a guy based off one day or one incident.... Nitro racing ca be the most frustrating or the most rewarding experience.... There are some days where even the best of us are cranky,pissed and frustrated.... And other days where the biggest D-Bags can seem like the nicest guys.....I have seen the nicest guys act like gigantic children having a temper tantrum because he was soo frustrated by how poorly his day was going...,.... Nitro racing can bring out the worst in the very best people......A nitro car at times can be even more frustrating then your wife (if you have one that is LOL )

Also watch for the guys who are not crashing, flaming out or having troubles..., as those will be the experienced guys who will likely help you if your take the time to ask them nicely.........Often times these experienced guys will be quiet and not offer much advice unless they are directly asked a question....... Often times the more experienced guys have been around long enough to know not to offer anyone advice who doesn't ask for it..As it is very easy to offend people by offering advice they may not be ready or wanting to hear........Ignore the guys who have all the fancy equipment but cant keep their cars tire side down on the track....As just because they own all the fancy gear doesn't mean they have any more experience then you do.... If a guy is crashing just as much as you then he possibly new to the hobby as well.......Many of the experienced racers are usually willing to help, but will be reluctant to offer any advice until they know the person will not get upset or offended by what they are told............Some people can get very sensitive and defensive about their gear.....So it at times can be a delicate and awkward situation.......

JohnP2 11-23-2012 05:57 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Foxy, that is a great tip about tuning (or restrainment from). The only thing I'd like to change about the 810 is that the nose almost always goes straight up on jumps. This is why I struggled with the multi-humps (what are those called, BTW)? Anytime I go over a hump with any sort of speed, the car goes straight up (almost regardless of degree). 

I've jumped about five different vehicles and have not had this problem. I know how to mitigate it by blipping the brake, releasing the throttle prior to the base of the ramp, etc. but would like to find a way to prevent this. As noted, I'm confident I can work around it, but my fear is that I'll develop poor habits if I have to immediately tap my brakes once I get any sort of air.

Then again I assume the mark of a good rc racer is someone who drives the car, not the other way around.

ElectricGuy007 11-23-2012 06:04 PM

I would do what Foxy said and get the right kinda tires first before you start changing your setup.
I mean my cars are pretty dialed to the tracks because I set them up myself and used others setup on my truck.

It takes years to get used to racing R/C cars, it took me about 2-3 years to catch on before I got good at racing.
I have been racing for over 7 years now and everytime I go to the track the first thing I check is what tires everyone is using.

JohnP2 11-23-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007
It takes years to get used to racing R/C cars,
I can see that. I have a whole new appreciation for racers. It's definitely a skill that has to be learned with lots of practice. That is what I'm excited about. Can't wait to measurethe progress that I make. I think back nine months ago when I <u>knew nothing </u>about nitro rc cars - and although I'm still a newbie, I've learned a LOT during that time, andendeavor to learn thingsdaily.Excited about spending the next year learning about the racing scene.

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007
I have been racing for over 7 years now and everytime I go to the track the first thing I check is what tires everyone is using.
Yea, not happy with the tires Ihave (at least not for this track. I am using a pair of HB Protos (HBS67620), but they did not do the job. This track is hard-packed with a layer of thin sand. My nexttrip out I'm certainly going to inquire about tires to match the track.

supertib 11-24-2012 05:31 AM

isnt the Losi 810 a 1/10th scale ? that likely has much to do with you struggling on the track.

JohnP2 11-24-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: supertib

isnt the Losi 810 a 1/10th scale ? that likely has much to do with you struggling on the track.
Well, I'm confident my struggles have more to do with my driving abilities morethan anything. ;-)The 810 is a 1/8 scale (or sold as one). However, the weight is only 5.87 pounds - compared to the8ight, which is 7.2 lbs -so doubt it would technically qualify for any 'serious' race. It is a really fun car to drive (in incredibly durable) , but don't think I'd ever race it (with any hopes of competing). Of course while I am running it, I want it to be the best it can be.

BKoz559 11-24-2012 10:11 PM

Racing is loads of fun because of the challenge.  Bashing is fun but, racing is different, it can really test your driving skills and sometimes your patience.  Even though the environment is competitive you need to remember that essentially these are toys we play with.  Enjoy the time with your son, that's more important.

We had a guy at the track that, before one heat, was telling us, "I'm just out here to have fun."  Looking at his equipment he has a Factory Team SC10 4x4 with LRP electronics, Spektrum DX3R, LRP Pulsar Touch charger and the list goes on and on.  Everything he owned was world-class competition level.  Anyhow, he pulled his truck off the track half way through the heat and was extremely ticked off because he claimed that he was being hacked.  Rather than just carrying on with the race and paying no mind to the other drivers he threw his tantrum and ranted about how childish we were for not driving according to the track rules.  Eventually he left the race early without driving in the mains because he said he would rather go to "Norcal" where there aren't a bunch of amateurs.

There's always one of "those" guys at every track.

ElectricGuy007 11-25-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Rather than just carrying on with the race and paying no mind to the other drivers he threw his tantrum and ranted about how childish we were for not driving according to the track rules. Eventually he left the race early without driving in the mains because he said he would rather go to ''Norcal'' where there aren't a bunch of amateurs.

There's always one of ''those'' guys at every track.

We had a racer do that. Go to another track and he said the very next week, that those people were not very freindly.
Some people take it a little more serious than others and practically whine and cry if they dont do well. Ive never done it.

We have a racer that shakes his hands on the drivers stand while holding his radio, and it's more of a distraction than anything.
I get nervous being around that guy, I mean I like him he's nice to everyone and everything, but that hand shaking is annoying.

And there's another racer that acts big and bad like he's the track hotshot. Like "nobody can beat me im the best".
I cant stand people like that.

supertib 11-25-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Quote:

Well, I'm confident my struggles have more to do with my driving abilities more than anything. ;-) The 810 is a 1/8 scale (or sold as one). However, the weight is only 5.87 pounds - compared to the 8ight, which is 7.2 lbs - so doubt it would technically qualify for any 'serious' race. It is a really fun car to drive (in incredibly durable) , but don't think I'd ever race it (with any hopes of competing). Of course while I am running it, I want it to be the best it can be.

On a track like you showed a 1/10th scale would get bucked around and be much more difficult to drive then a 1/8th scale........ And yes the 810 is really a 1/10th scale..it is the same car more or less as a Losi 10T........... Dont underestimate how much difference the vehicle can make.....a well set up quality car can make a average driver look much better then they really are.....My serpent could hit those whoops at wide open and not even flinch, no driving skill required, just line it up, pull the trigger and let the car do the work............ Now I am not saying to go buy a Serpent, but rather I am saying that having the right tool for the job can make things much easier then I think you realize........ When it comes to running on a track the car itself plays a massive role ....... even the best drivers will get their arses kicked by a cranky handling car.......

HerrSavage 11-25-2012 08:10 AM

But an reasonably experienced racer with a clue about set-up could get that 810 to handle great I bet by a few basic set-up tweaks - especially having the right tires..

JohnP2 11-25-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Dont underestimate how much difference the vehicle can make.....a well set up quality car can make a average driver look much better then they really are.....Now I am not saying to go buy a Serpent, but rather I am saying that having the right tool for the job can make things much easier then I think you realize
Oh, I don't underestimate what a quality race car can bring to the table - believe me. If they did not, no one would be buying them, right? I assure you I have a landry list of race spec cars I'm intersted in (including the Serpent S811).
My short list for the next 6-12 months in order(as of today) is:
D8T w/O.S. 25XZ (possibly "clocked"?) ;-)
Mugen MB6XR w/O.S. 21XZ-B V-Spec (formy son - but I have nodoubt I'll get behind the transmitter quite a bit)
AE RC8.2 w/Nova Bonito
Kyosho GT2or XRayNT1 2012 (depending on how the on-road scene scopes out at my track)

These are subject to change, but based on my budget for the next year - this is whatI'm looking at. Of course I'm not anticipating this will make me a betterracer over night, but will (as you alluded) give me at least the right toolsto begin working with.

Thanks

supertib 11-25-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Quote:

Dont underestimate how much difference the vehicle can make.....a well set up quality car can make a average driver look much better then they really are.....Now I am not saying to go buy a Serpent, but rather I am saying that having the right tool for the job can make things much easier then I think you realize
Oh, I don't underestimate what a quality race car can bring to the table - believe me. If they did not, no one would be buying them, right? I assure you I have a landry list of race spec cars I'm intersted in (including the Serpent S811).
My short list for the next 6-12 months in order (as of today) is:
D8T w/O.S. 25XZ (possibly ''clocked''?) ;-)
Mugen MB6XR w/O.S. 21XZ-B V-Spec (for my son - but I have no doubt I'll get behind the transmitter quite a bit)
AE RC8.2 w/Nova Bonito
Kyosho GT2 or XRay NT1 2012 (depending on how the on-road scene scopes out at my track)

These are subject to change, but based on my budget for the next year - this is what I'm looking at. Of course I'm not anticipating this will make me a better racer over night, but will (as you alluded) give me at least the right tools to begin working with.

Thanks
good list.... but the Bonito is a massive engine for a twitchy buggy like a RC8.2..I would look to the Nova BTT instead

Mugen just announced the MBX7...so there will be some killer deals on the MBX6 platforms...I will even have some on clearance....