RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   REALLY tough choice (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11335971-really-tough-choice.html)

t-max97 12-18-2012 09:23 AM

REALLY tough choice

im getting a new vehicle and I have a very tough choice to make, I loved my revo when I had one and I always wished I didnt sell it, I have an e-savage that I dont like at all, its fragile lol. But i dont know if I want nitro or electric or which truck, im leaning more toward a revo based platform because I love the setup but I heard the 3.3 engines are hit and miss.
Ill just be driving it around here some medium jumps nothing major. What do you guys think? I also love that with the summit I can go in water and do some light crawling.

HerrSavage 12-18-2012 09:30 AM

RE: REALLY tough choice

I voted Savage X RTR, because 1.) it's nitro, and nitro rules, and 2.) it's got a good stock engine, unlike the XL(unfortunately), and 3.) never Traxxas - cheap flimsy RTR's which need lots of expensive hop-ups. So there.

t-max97 12-18-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I voted Savage X RTR, because 1.) it's nitro, and nitro rules, and 2.) it's got a good stock engine, unlike the XL(unfortunately), and 3.) never Traxxas - cheap flimsy RTR's which need lots of expensive hop-ups. So there.

How many traxxas trucks have you owned? My revo was MUCH tougher than my e-savage.

yakfish 12-18-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Quote:

How many traxxas trucks have you owned? My revo was MUCH tougher than my e-savage.
the e-savage is known to have been a dud and not on par with the rest of the veghicals HPI produces. The 1/8 scale Savage is a far superior truck. Personally if you want to go with either HPI or Traxxas I would go HPI. I have owned several HPI and Traxxas vehicals including at least two revos (maybe three I don't remember!) and three Savages. Even though I'm not a fan of monster trucks any more I will say the Savage is hands down the better truck. the revos needed constant work in order to run them. I have spent my share of time taring down and fixing Savages too but they are built much better than the Revos. just mu .02.

sparky 25 12-18-2012 10:52 AM

Can't go wrong with the savage flux,

Herrsavage has never owned a brushless rc truck,

yet he continually dismisses them,

Nitro is messy and slow and noisy IMO

I can say that because I have run nitro for more than 10 years.

TheKennyKiller 12-18-2012 11:16 AM

Depends if you want speed or not, the Summit is a great choice but it's not all that fast. Another problem is that Traxxas is "updating" them so they now come with lipos in the box which has put the price through the roof. The new Summit part# 5607L with two 5000mAh 2S packs and two cheap chargers is listed at Tower for a whopping $790. You can still get them with NiMH packs for around $580-$600, but no one knows for how long.

I'd also take a look at the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3, it looks to be pretty durable, perhaps even more so than the Savage.

HerrSavage 12-18-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

Can't go wrong with the savage flux,

Herrsavage has never owned a brushless rc truck,

yet he continually dismisses them,

Nitro is messy and slow and noisy IMO

I can say that because I have run nitro for more than 10 years.

Oohh.. My ears hurt, and I got gunk on my hands. My panties are all in a knot... :eek: Go sit in a library then.

I don't dismiss electrics per se. I dismiss the imbecilic commentary of people such as this who pesumptuously profess that electric is some kind of revolution that you have to join.. One, it's silent and soulless compared to nitro. And two, I don't have to join anything.

I will be trying electric shortly. And I will like it, or not. I like nitro a lot. Shrug.

t-max97 12-18-2012 11:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, im still trying to decide.

HerrSavage 12-18-2012 11:48 AM

IMO, you really need to decide - nitro or electric. If you choose one, and regret not choosing the other, it would really kind of suck. Electric is a bit simpler and more dummy-friendly(supposedly.. I'm trying to learn about lipos and chargers - not so set-and-forget/plug-and-play as some of these people make out..) Nitro is more visceral, requires a bit of a learning curve, but for me anyway is more exhilerating and rewarding.

Then, once you choose that, it's easier to procede from there. If for ex. you say nitro, then Savage X RTR IMO, or even better, Losi XXL.

If you opt for electric, then IMO TT MT4 G3... That's what I'm gonna' get I think.. Been researching it a lot. Best value-for-money based on what I've heard, seen, and read(which is a lot..) Traxxas is overpriced and needs hopups, and HPI is dubious in the quality dept. too IMO. I don't trust HPI plastic or drivetrains.

t-max97 12-18-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

IMO, you really need to decide - nitro or electric. If you choose one, and regret not choosing the other, it would really kind of suck. Electric is a bit simpler and more dummy-friendly(supposedly.. I'm trying to learn about lipos and chargers - not so set-and-forget/plug-and-play as some of these people make out..) Nitro is more visceral, requires a bit of a learning curve, but for me anyway is more exhilerating and rewarding.

Then, once you choose that, it's easier to procede from there. If for ex. you say nitro, then Savage X RTR IMO, or even better, Losi XXL.

If you opt for electric, then IMO TT MT4 G3... That's what I'm gonna' get I think.. Been researching it a lot. Best value-for-money based on what I've heard, seen, and read(which is a lot..) Traxxas is overpriced and needs hopups, and HPI is dubious in the quality dept. too IMO. I don't trust HPI plastic or drivetrains.

Ive owned nitro brushed and brushless/lipo, If nitro was as easy as electric i would go nitro for sure, i love the whole real engine thing and the noise and its just funner but electric is more reliable and easier so its a toss up, im kind of leaning toward nitro though. Im thinking get the slayer and convert it to a revo because the only thing i would have to buy is rods and driveshafts and then I could swap to what ever I wanted....revo or slayer but when your spending this much on a rc its a tough choice. lol Ugghh but i also love the savage flux and x so idk.[&:]

ejc34710 12-18-2012 12:08 PM

Geez nitro vs electric. It is entirely a personal preference. I have brushless rc cars and nitro ones as well. I hate electric vehicles. Prefer nitro anyday, don't care how messy or "slow" they are. Same way with boats, gimme nitro or gimme death. I also fly planks and helis. I will never own a nitro heli, no thanks. As for planes, 50/50. Love the sound of an engine on my birds, but i dig electric there too. I'll say go with a Savage X if you want nitro, or go with the Thunder Tiger MT4 for electric. Whichever you choose, HAVE FUN!

t-max97 12-18-2012 01:20 PM

I went outside and drove my nitro rs4 around for a while and I think im gonna go nitro, now its just savage or revo which is kind of like red vs blue lol. The savage comes with a better engine but Ive always loved the revo's setup and how they look especially with a wing and dish wheels "like a truggy". im thinking revo because im not going to be doing any hardcore bashing just playing around with it. I wish I new when the savage octane is coming out though.

SyCo_VeNoM 12-18-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

I went outside and drove my nitro rs4 around for a while and I think im gonna go nitro, now its just savage or revo which is kind of like red vs blue lol. The savage comes with a better engine but Ive always loved the revo's setup and how they look especially with a wing and dish wheels ''like a truggy''. im thinking revo because im not going to be doing any hardcore bashing just playing around with it. I wish I new when the savage octane is coming out though.
could always go get dish wheels, and a wing and slap em on a savage X (I've seen it done on the savage board)

could get http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUW&P=ML I own its predecessor(the jammin X1) and if its anything like the X1 its a extremely solid truck

t-max97 12-18-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Quote:

I went outside and drove my nitro rs4 around for a while and I think im gonna go nitro, now its just savage or revo which is kind of like red vs blue lol. The savage comes with a better engine but Ive always loved the revo's setup and how they look especially with a wing and dish wheels ''like a truggy''. im thinking revo because im not going to be doing any hardcore bashing just playing around with it. I wish I new when the savage octane is coming out though.
could always go get dish wheels, and a wing and slap em on a savage X (I've seen it done on the savage board)

could get http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUW&P=ML I own its predecessor(the jammin X1) and if its anything like the X1 its a extremely solid truck

True but its just not the same lol, ive always regretted selling my revo so Im just going with my gut and do that, i dont want to regret it later. thanks for the advice guys even though i didnt use it hahaha:D

JohnP2 12-18-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

I voted Savage X RTR, because 1.) it's nitro, and nitro rules, and 2.) it's got a good stock engine, unlike the XL(unfortunately),
+1 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

yakfish 12-18-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

if you like the wing and dish wheels " like a truggy", why not take a look at buying a truggy? IMO that is really the only option!

SyCo_VeNoM 12-18-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Quote:

if you like the wing and dish wheels '' like a truggy'', why not take a look at buying a truggy? IMO that is really the only option!
I posted one and he wants a revo. no point in trying to talk him out of one IMO.

t-max97 12-18-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Quote:

if you like the wing and dish wheels '' like a truggy'', why not take a look at buying a truggy? IMO that is really the only option!
I posted one and he wants a revo. no point in trying to talk him out of one IMO.

Lol im not just set on a revo but i always regretted selling mine and i don't want to regret buying something else but its very tempting to get that truggy...ill look more into it.

t-max97 12-18-2012 06:11 PM

I cant find hardly any reviews or anything like that on it and I only found two places that sell arms for it, eb@y and one other place.

ejc34710 12-18-2012 06:12 PM

Well, just get both :D....

t-max97 12-18-2012 06:23 PM

Haha ok if you buy one.

t-max97 12-18-2012 07:22 PM

I saw the hyper 7 and im actually really considering that, does anyone know how it handles grass a couple inches high? Ive never had a buggy or truggy.

littlemel 12-18-2012 07:42 PM

SUMMIT, the things can go anywhere! I mean anywhere!

SyCo_VeNoM 12-18-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

I saw the hyper 7 and im actually really considering that, does anyone know how it handles grass a couple inches high? Ive never had a buggy or truggy.
2 inches high should be ok
I've driven my 1/8th scale buggy in 2-3 inch grass and it was ok.

HerrSavage 12-18-2012 09:48 PM

Traxxas'are money pits.. Get something else. The Hyper 8 is by all accounts very very durable, and more importantly very good value for money. With a Hyper you can buy the car and invest any money in important things, like servos, tires, maybe a pipe and later an engine. With a Revo, as with most Traxxas stuff, there's a laundray list of stuff you have to buy to make it durable, and the thing is over-priced to start with...

What about a Losi 8T 2.0? Here the Losi stuff is starting to get sold off cheap.. With the Losi RTR you have everything you need, and it will smoke a Revo on all terrain. Plus if you ever want to you can go to a track. It's a truggy, with bigger tires, so grass is no issue.

Buggies are no issue in short grass, and are all in all a lot of fun to drive. Really fast and nimble...