RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11338807-penny-your-thoughts-rally-vehicles.html)

MR.FEESH 12-20-2012 04:23 PM

Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
<div>Hello all,</div><div></div><div>Just curious if anyone who has had both on road and an off road RC vehicles could comment on the current selection of available RC 'Rally' vehicles out there today. I've never had one of these, and am interested in getting one but don't really know what to expect because I've only ever had a nitro on-road vehicleand even that was a good 7 years ago. </div><div></div><div>Maybe a few questions to get you thinking:</div><div>-Are they as versatile as they are advertised to be? Or are they really just on-road vehicles with extra ground clearance?</div><div>-Can they handle decently on dirt/gritty surfaces?</div><div>-Think of the poisitives and fun aspects of your on and off road vehicles. Is Rally a good mixture of those attributes?</div><div>-Do you think the rally vehicles on the market now have any significant shortcomings?</div><div></div><div>I'm interested in something around the 1/10th size. Perhaps a Tamiya DF03-RA, for instance. I like the idea of a realistic body like the Lancia Delta much more than the cartoonish type offered by Traxxas, too.

Please, chime in!</div>

i8tweety 12-20-2012 04:27 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
They are great on pavement and dirt. Grass is a no-go. It is one of my favorite racing classes for their scale looks and the need to drive the car, not just throw it around.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-20-2012 04:55 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Ive had a couple of 1/10 chassis that I ran with rally block tires and raised suspension.
I never had much fun with them tho. They look cool, but tend to have little performance. A "scale" jump to a 1/10 car is very small. And anything unscale is something they dont handle well.

But there are several offerings now in 1/8 scale. Im not talking about the traxxas rally...tho it is pretty much 1/8 (body aint that scale looking tho)
There are some out there. Having a scale body, but in a larger scale with larger tires means they can do better offroad. Some of them could probly handle very short grass.

jang (ultimaterc.com) has a nice youtube review comparing several of these larger scale rally beasts.

The downside of course, is they cost a fair bit more.

phmaximus 12-20-2012 05:33 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Rally cars are great, I'm slowly finishing off mine, Ta01 and my brother and his son have a DF03r and a CC01 great fun.
My brothers cars runs on grass with no major problems, He is running a smaller pinion and larger spur gear for obvious reasons. If u run on grass just be smart about it and gear down,

We did have a few problems running on a gritty surfaces, rocks were getting stuck in the steering, but a close fitting buggy body under the rally car body helped fix that

IMO the rally cars are more suited for running out on the road than the touring cars, I've cracked a few body's on touring cars lower front skirt by hitting a small imperfection in the road

1/8 is really the way to go for rally cars the bigger wheels and ground clearance really help on grass and Rc tracks.

The traxxas rally car does have a odd looking body, wonder how long untill we see some one fit a kyosho WRX body to it?
From what I've seen most 1/8 rally cars have a very close wheelbase and track to the traxxas slash and rally cars.

Have u checked out HPI's version?

phmaximus 12-20-2012 05:43 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
I'm 99% sure one of these bodies would fit the new traxxas rally

eBay item no. 360218382954

TheKennyKiller 12-20-2012 09:51 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Rally cars are awesome. I like the look of the HPI WR8 and the Traxxas Rally.

The Mad Modder 12-21-2012 06:55 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: MR.FEESH

<div>Hello all,</div><div> </div><div>Just curious if anyone who has had both on road and an off road RC vehicles could comment on the current selection of available RC 'Rally' vehicles out there today. I've never had one of these, and am interested in getting one but don't really know what to expect because I've only ever had a nitro on-road vehicleand even that was a good 7 years ago. </div><div> </div><div>Maybe a few questions to get you thinking: </div><div>-Are they as versatile as they are advertised to be? Or are they really just on-road vehicles with extra ground clearance? </div><div>-Can they handle decently on dirt/gritty surfaces? </div><div>-Think of the poisitives and fun aspects of your on and off road vehicles. Is Rally a good mixture of those attributes?</div><div>-Do you think the rally vehicles on the market now have any significant shortcomings? </div><div> </div><div>I'm interested in something around the 1/10th size. Perhaps a Tamiya DF03-RA, for instance. I like the idea of a realistic body like the Lancia Delta much more than the cartoonish type offered by Traxxas, too.

Please, chime in!</div>
I have a df03ra, so I'm speaking from a 1/10 sedan sized rally standpoint.

Depends on what you consider versatile. They are able to drive more places than a regular sedans and generally have much better grip. Depends on what tires you are using, I've found Tamiya's rally block tires to have a lot of grip to them. I've been able to run through areas, such as short grass, that a regular sedan would be stuck in. Keep in mind, though, that because they are sedan sized, they won't drive through grass and offroad conditions as well as a vehicle with larger tires and more ground clearance, like a stadium truck or monster truck. I think 1/10 sedan sized rallies, would be most at home on relatively smooth dirt(meaning no large clods to get hung up on), gravel, and pavement.

HerrSavage 12-21-2012 07:05 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
I'd like to try the Kyosho DRX.. Much cheaper than the HPI and other 1/8 scales, but still good Kyosho quality and value-for-money. At 1/9 scale it's decent sized too. Just needs a 2-speed(which I believe is available for it now....) Without a 2-speed afaic it's basically a drifter.. A car that size needs to hit 40mph.. (Talking nitro here btw..)

TheKennyKiller 12-21-2012 07:52 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I'm 99% sure one of these bodies would fit the new traxxas rally

eBay item no. 360218382954
lancia delta body. T hat's awesome dud.

EXT2Rob 12-21-2012 09:31 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
I would LOVE to try that Kyosho DRX AND the Traxxas Rally.  I love off-road racing.  The DRX looks pretty close to the ground, tho.  I love the look. I'm also a Subaru fan. (I own a 1:1 WRX, and I put a Tamya Subaru WRX body on my Evader)  The Traxxas Rally car looks like it would have a little more ground clearance than the DRX.  RC Car Action loved the Rally. Said they really nailed the handling of a true rally car.  And it handles jumps well.  The body is debatable as far as looks, but areo-wise, it is supposed to be functional.  I would like to have seen them put wheel wells on the car, as on the new Tamya Team Arai Subaru rally car.  That would go a long way in eliminating lots of mud/dirt from getting into the car and collecting on the inside of the body.

t-max97 12-21-2012 10:47 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Ive never owned a rally car but to me for bashing i wouls rather have either off-road or on-road, not a cross over thats not that great at either. But If you had a well groomed track for them i bet that would be really fun.

SyCo_VeNoM 12-21-2012 10:50 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

I would LOVE to try that Kyosho DRX AND the Traxxas Rally. I love off-road racing. The DRX looks pretty close to the ground, tho. I love the look. I'm also a Subaru fan. (I own a 1:1 WRX, and I put a Tamya Subaru WRX body on my Evader) The Traxxas Rally car looks like it would have a little more ground clearance than the DRX. RC Car Action loved the Rally. Said they really nailed the handling of a true rally car. And it handles jumps well. The body is debatable as far as looks, but areo-wise, it is supposed to be functional. I would like to have seen them put wheel wells on the car, as on the new Tamya Team Arai Subaru rally car. That would go a long way in eliminating lots of mud/dirt from getting into the car and collecting on the inside of the body.

Have they ever NOT loved anything traxxas made?
Seriously Traxxas could probably put a horse turd on top of the merv's chassis give it to them and they would say it was they loved it and it would probably win a best RC turd of the year award, and they would claim it smelled like roses.
I don't give any credibility to RCCA's writers as they just write positive stuff about who ever pays them the most in AD's.

I've been thinking of making a rally one day. Just the one time I tried making one it kinda was a failure(my fault for using a bizarre setup, and a extremely weird body).

The Mad Modder 12-21-2012 11:08 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Have they ever NOT loved anything traxxas made?
Seriously Traxxas could probably put a horse turd on top of the merv's chassis give it to them and they would say it was they loved it and it would probably win a best RC turd of the year award, and they would claim it smelled like roses.
I don't give any credibility to RCCA's writers as they just write positive stuff about who ever pays them the most in AD's.

I've been thinking of making a rally one day. Just the one time I tried making one it kinda was a failure(my fault for using a bizarre setup, and a extremely weird body).
Too true, with as much advertising as traxxas buys in RCCA they practically own it. On a side note, I don't think I've seen any RC car magazine actually give a vehicle a "average" or "poor" rating.

EXT2Rob 12-21-2012 11:27 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Yeah, yer prolly right, there.  Traxxas has at least 10 pages of ads in every magazine.  I guess RCCA is the Motor Trend of the RC car world. :)   But with all the so-called "rally" cars I've seen, most are of the gymkhana ilk, not a true off-road chassis, like the looks of the Traxxas Rally chassis. That's what caught my attention about the Rally.  I looked at some of the videos of the RS4 and Tamiya "rally" cars, and they all look pretty low to the ground (not much suspension travel or ground clearance) and looks like you'd be catching the front splitter of the body on anything but smooth ground.  Love the look of them, tho....

I was wondering how that new Tamiya "Team Arai" Subaru WRX with the FRONT mounted motor system would handle?  Interesting concept, putting the motor in front (where it is in real cars) as opposed to the rear, or middle of the chassis like most 4x4 models.

TheKennyKiller 12-21-2012 11:31 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Whether RCCA is biased or not the Traxxas Rally is freaking awesome Yo

proanti1 12-22-2012 01:14 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
They're touring cars with grippy tires and slightly longer shocks. They'll get stuck on the same stuff a touring car will. About the only place you can run them (at least their intended purpose) is a baseball diamond. Still fun though.

TheKennyKiller 12-22-2012 05:06 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
So where is my penny?

MR.FEESH 12-22-2012 06:36 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
Thanks for the responses, all!

(Pennies are currently in the mail to you)<br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 12-22-2012 06:54 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
i like jangs review here
he had detailed vids on most of the models shown in this vid:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mXEWoW6-rg[/youtube]

Maj_Overdrive 12-22-2012 10:24 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
I have a Traxxas 1/10 Rally and I think Jangs review is spot on. Its really a pretty darn good car thats actually more 1/8 buggy size (wheelbase and track width) and I'd rather it than the smaller ones. The Kyosho and HPI rally cars also look and seem pretty good as well from Jang's reviews. I went with the Traxxas for the versatility, aftermarket support and it would be easier to change into a SCT or something else later if I wanted to.

That Lancia body looks like one of the DeltaPlastic bodies, there's a bunch to choose from in Rally style. They're meant for 1/8 buggies. Speaking of 1/8 buggies, I converted a LX1e to Rally with a Kyosho WRX body awhile back. It was fun, but turned into more of an onroad car in the process. Had a hard time getting the right combo of ride height, body height and not having the tires rub on the body. Basically only short street tires wouldn't rub on the hood when the suspension was compressed and the suspension needed uptravel limiters with the stock offroad style shocks. Offroad would require the body raised up alot ruining the rally look unless you don't mind the tires trashing the body.

phmaximus 12-22-2012 11:37 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
IMO a Traxxas rally car would be just as much fun as a 4x4 slash... If not more...

turok007 12-23-2012 06:39 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
is there any real rally cars on the market or are they all just another chassis with a rally body and wheels.

EXT2Rob 12-26-2012 11:56 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive

I have a Traxxas 1/10 Rally and I think Jangs review is spot on. Its really a pretty darn good car thats actually more 1/8 buggy size (wheelbase and track width) and I'd rather it than the smaller ones. The Kyosho and HPI rally cars also look and seem pretty good as well from Jang's reviews. I went with the Traxxas for the versatility, aftermarket support and it would be easier to change into a SCT or something else later if I wanted to.


Hey Major! So have ya been driving it much? How do you find the tires and the off-road handling? After watching Jang's review, sounds like the tires and springs are the first things to be jettisoned. Where you been driving it?


phmaximus 12-26-2012 06:15 PM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: turok007

is there any real rally cars on the market or are they all just another chassis with a rally body and wheels.

Not really, most company's wont develop a whole brand new off road chassis when they have existing offroad chassis.
Just watch out for company's using onroad touring chassis on rally cars... ie. exposed belt driven chassis

A sc10 with a kyosho rally body would be awesome, even tho it's a SCT chassis, or wait is it really a buggy chassis?

9five9 12-27-2012 10:11 AM

RE: Penny for your thoughts on 'Rally' vehicles
 
I converted my tt01 a few years ago. It's a ton of fun to learn proper scale car control. What I've found most fun is rc rallycross. Take a touring car track, throw some gravel on a few of the corners and add a few rolling jumps. That's where these cars shine.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:14 AM.