RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   UbidRC (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11340064-ubidrc.html)

nitrosportsandrunner 12-21-2012 06:53 PM

UbidRC
 
1 Attachment(s)
check them out : http://www.ubidrc.com/
rc penny auction site.

There was an auction site a year ago that failed. This new site looks to have a much better format.

I did OK tonight, winning a 3 in 1 lipo ballance meter. Worth $25, and it cost me less than $5 total.

They have reserve prices on most items...but if you bid on an item and it doesnt meet the reserve price, you get 110% of the bids you placed given back.

You wont get something for nothing on these sites. Its a mixture of gambling and statagy. But its good fun and you can get cool RC stuff for very little cash.

Oh, and they give you 5 free bids for signing up. Technically, I used my free bids to win the balancer.

proanti1 12-22-2012 01:10 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
These penny bid sites are a scam. Shill bidding everywhere. Stay away from crap like this. You think you got a good deal, but I would probably research a little more about the stuff you bid on. No-name stuff is very cheap when ordered in bulk, especially this Chinese LiPo crap.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-22-2012 01:58 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: proanti1

These penny bid sites are a scam. Shill bidding everywhere. Stay away from crap like this. You think you got a good deal, but I would probably research a little more about the stuff you bid on. No-name stuff is very cheap when ordered in bulk, especially this Chinese LiPo crap.
I agree the balancer I won is nothing much, but most of the stuff was brand name. The owner I believe has run a hobby shop for years now.
Like any penny site, you can blow lots of money. but only if you get carried away.

I said that it wasnt free. You basically pay $0.89 per bid (unless the item doesnt meet the reserve price, then you get your bids back)
And then you pay whatever the item went for.
I used 4 bids, and paid .21 cents for the item. Less than $5. Again, no big win but still nice.

This site is cool if you enjoy the act of playing. Realize its basically gambling, just with odds that arent huge.

I dont like the mainstream penny auctions...where you could be bidding against thousands of other people. But on this site, you will likey be bidding against 5-10...maybe 20 people. As the site grows, that number may grow as well.

A "scam" to me is something where the person behind it profits and no one else does. With this site, yes, the owner makes money. Thats the point of the site. But anyone playing can win as well. One guy won a Parkzone T-28 Micro BNF. He used 5 bids, and paid .31 cents for it. Less than $5 for a $100+ plane. (you can look and see the bidding record for past items)

Heres how I look at it, sign up is free, they give you 5 free bids. So there is no harm in trying it out.
If you dont have fun or dont win, then dont buy bids. Nothing lost. But always the chance you will either win, or at least have fun playing.

mattster1971 12-22-2012 02:54 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
I looked at it. I didn't see anything good. Junk. I saw a bunch of buy it now stuff. Nothing interesting.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-22-2012 04:29 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: mattster1971

I looked at it. I didn't see anything good. Junk. I saw a bunch of buy it now stuff. Nothing interesting.
yeh, I dont get the BIN ads. Nothing special there...same prices you would pay anywhere else.

Monday evening the penny auctions are a Life battery, hobbico double radio case, ECX smash(im gonna try on that one) brushless plane motor and a tamiya LED light unit.

I would like to see a wider array of stuff. Bet they would get more bidders if they put up a traxxas stampede 4x4 or something along those lines.
Next week there will be a parkzone F27 stryker, spektrum dx5e trans, and a blade MCPX and a couple other things.

For me, the bidding itself is fun. If the bidding part aint fun for you, then its not gonna be worth it to buy any bids. But get the 5 free ones and give it a try before you knock it. Then if you dont like it, knock it all you want:)

TheKennyKiller 12-22-2012 05:23 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
Looks dodgy. Only a fool would trust this crap, is that why you posted this at RCU?

TheKennyKiller 12-22-2012 05:27 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
nitrosportsandrunner are you getting a kick back for this? You seem to be very keen to get people to sign up for their "5 free bids". I've seen people on youtube promoting these kind of sites for cash.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-22-2012 06:33 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

nitrosportsandrunner are you getting a kick back for this? You seem to be very keen to get people to sign up for their ''5 free bids''. I've seen people on youtube promoting these kind of sites for cash.
Nope. I just think its a fun site thats all.

What exactly is there that you dont trust?(as if we can trust any website these days) Its all spelled out on the site. No big promises made. You buy bids, you use them, and you have a chance to win. If you dont win, your money is gone.

Shoot, millions by lotto tickets every day even tho the odds are crazy. How is paying $5 for a lotto ticket different from paying less than a buck for a bid? Why so much flack against a penny auction which is just gambling for RC stuff?

I posted this on RCU because its RC related. The rc penny auction site that tried to start up last year had their own subforum on RCU. Several RCU'ers joined and liked it. Thought they might wanna know another one is out there.

If you dont want to try it im not forcing you to.

If I had known I would get flack for sharing the link, I wouldnt have posted it.

TheKennyKiller 12-22-2012 06:59 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
Yeah the lotto odds are crazy but their aren't people working against you, I'll bet once you buy some bids you always get outbid by some fake bidder or something like that, they let you win something small so you feel all good about it but after you buy bids you win nothing.

Sorry for calling you out but I have seen shills trying a similar approach.

"Hey look at this thing I got cheaper than I should have on this bidding site, why don't you give it a try, sign up and get your first 5 bids for free."

nitrosportsandrunner 12-23-2012 09:53 AM

RE: UbidRC
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Yeah the lotto odds are crazy but their aren't people working against you, I'll bet once you buy some bids you always get outbid by some fake bidder or something like that, they let you win something small so you feel all good about it but after you buy bids you win nothing.

Sorry for calling you out but I have seen shills trying a similar approach.

''Hey look at this thing I got cheaper than I should have on this bidding site, why don't you give it a try, sign up and get your first 5 bids for free.''
If you feel thats the case thats fine. But Im certainly not part of any scam.

Sigma.40 12-24-2012 05:52 PM

RE: UbidRC
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner


Quote:

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Yeah the lotto odds are crazy but their aren't people working against you, I'll bet once you buy some bids you always get outbid by some fake bidder or something like that, they let you win something small so you feel all good about it but after you buy bids you win nothing.

Sorry for calling you out but I have seen shills trying a similar approach.

''Hey look at this thing I got cheaper than I should have on this bidding site, why don't you give it a try, sign up and get your first 5 bids for free.''
If you feel thats the case thats fine. But Im certainly not part of any scam.
I don't think you ever came across as trying to "sell" Ubid RC to people. I don't have any interest in those penny auctions, though,other than wishing I thought of the idea first http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif.

-BTW-How are those 1/5 scalewheel wells coming along (hint hint).

nitrosportsandrunner 12-24-2012 06:23 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40


Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner


Quote:

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Yeah the lotto odds are crazy but their aren't people working against you, I'll bet once you buy some bids you always get outbid by some fake bidder or something like that, they let you win something small so you feel all good about it but after you buy bids you win nothing.

Sorry for calling you out but I have seen shills trying a similar approach.

''Hey look at this thing I got cheaper than I should have on this bidding site, why don't you give it a try, sign up and get your first 5 bids for free.''
If you feel thats the case thats fine. But Im certainly not part of any scam.
I don't think you ever came across as trying to ''sell'' Ubid RC to people. I don't have any interest in those penny auctions, though, other than wishing I thought of the idea first [img][/img].

-BTW-How are those 1/5 scale wheel wells coming along (hint hint).
I know I know, I need to get on that.
Still waiting for a replacement wheel hub, broke one a couple weeks back.
I think I can use some plexy glass....but I would 1st need to make a wooden form to mold the glass to the shape I want.
Trying to do the same on my scx10 1st. I just worked on a new hilux body and want fenders and a bed for it. Im working on aging the body as well...

Sigma.40 12-29-2012 09:09 PM

RE: UbidRC
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner


Quote:

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40


Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner


Quote:

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Yeah the lotto odds are crazy but their aren't people working against you, I'll bet once you buy some bids you always get outbid by some fake bidder or something like that, they let you win something small so you feel all good about it but after you buy bids you win nothing.

Sorry for calling you out but I have seen shills trying a similar approach.

''Hey look at this thing I got cheaper than I should have on this bidding site, why don't you give it a try, sign up and get your first 5 bids for free.''
If you feel thats the case thats fine. But Im certainly not part of any scam.
I don't think you ever came across as trying to ''sell'' Ubid RC to people. I don't have any interest in those penny auctions, though,other than wishing I thought of the idea first [img][/img].

-BTW-How are those 1/5 scalewheel wells coming along (hint hint).
I know I know, I need to get on that.
Still waiting for a replacement wheel hub, broke one a couple weeks back.
I think I can use some plexy glass....but I would 1st need to make a wooden form to mold the glass to the shape I want.
Trying to do the same on my scx10 1st. I just worked on a new hilux body and want fenders and a bed for it. Im working on aging the body as well...
You made that body?! You got skills my friend. I like the dents on it.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-30-2012 09:44 AM

RE: UbidRC
 
thanx,
its not that hard tho, just takes bravery to put a lighter to a brand new body!
And an exacto knife to the hood and grill area.
Still needs rust painted on it tho. But Im still pretty happy with it.
It will never look as good as the hardbody hilux trucks I see on youtube, but I think it looks good for a lexan body.

pcarluvr 01-02-2013 02:31 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
Hey Nitro, thanx for the heads up on the ubid thing. It's always nice that people put things up to let other know about it but then there's people that bring you down and make you feel like you should have kept it to yourself! That is exactly why I usually don't speak up in this forum any longer due to a certain someone who always had to point out that he/she is smarter or more knowledgeable that me and likes to put my comments down and point out where I'm incorrect or what I said makes no sense. I'm only posting now to point out it happens a lot! Good luck with the ubid thing and I may try it!

nitrosportsandrunner 02-04-2013 04:59 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
In the past couple of weeks ive won a
ramfire .10 brushless motor
Power Edge Life 850mah 6.6v battery
and 3s 2200mah 50c/100c burst Lipo battery.

More "no reserve" items are being added, like a: spektrum DX2E, spektrum AR6115 Rx. Hobbico double radio case and a Park 480 brushless outrunner. No reserve auctions are the most fun ones! The 3s battery I won with just 5 bids. Basically, I paid $3.72 for it!

Sigma.40 02-04-2013 05:40 PM

RE: UbidRC
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

In the past couple of weeks ive won a
ramfire .10 brushless motor
Power Edge Life 850mah 6.6v battery
and 3s 2200mah 50c/100c burst Lipo battery.

More "no reserve" items are being added, like a: spektrum DX2E, spektrum AR6115 Rx. Hobbico double radio case and a Park 480 brushless outrunner. No reserve auctions are the most fun ones! The 3s battery I won with just 5 bids. Basically, I paid $3.72 for it!
Good job! Now where are those d*mn wheel wells?http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif. I finally got a Dremel and am itching for a reason to use it.

nitrosportsandrunner 02-04-2013 05:57 PM

RE: UbidRC
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40


Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

In the past couple of weeks ive won a
ramfire .10 brushless motor
Power Edge Life 850mah 6.6v battery
and 3s 2200mah 50c/100c burst Lipo battery.

More ''no reserve'' items are being added, like a: spektrum DX2E, spektrum AR6115 Rx. Hobbico double radio case and a Park 480 brushless outrunner. No reserve auctions are the most fun ones! The 3s battery I won with just 5 bids. Basically, I paid $3.72 for it!
Good job! Now where are those d*mn wheel wells?[img][/img]. I finally got a Dremel and am itching for a reason to use it.
i got something in the works. I finally got a metal bender that can make 1'' bends.
Need more sheet metal.
also bought some delrin blocks to make new bumpers.

ASSOCIATED_DRIVER 02-04-2013 06:28 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
Its not a scam. Its just like quibids. It will cost you to place a bid, and you loose money even if you dont win. You only get your bids back if the item does not meet the reserve price.

I agree, at this time the odds are good because there are not a lot of people going for it. If they put name brand products there then they may have more people to sign up.

Technically all bidders are paying for the item. Example, item starts at 0.01 and ends at 1.00 - that is 100 bids at 0.69 = $69.00 + $1.00 = $70.00 It may seem like you are only paying 1.00 but dont forget that you have to pre-purchase bids to be in the bidding.

Good for the sellers but bad for the buyers.

Sigma.40 02-04-2013 08:32 PM

RE: UbidRC
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner


Quote:

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40


Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

In the past couple of weeks ive won a
ramfire .10 brushless motor
Power Edge Life 850mah 6.6v battery
and 3s 2200mah 50c/100c burst Lipo battery.

More ''no reserve'' items are being added, like a: spektrum DX2E, spektrum AR6115 Rx. Hobbico double radio case and a Park 480 brushless outrunner. No reserve auctions are the most fun ones! The 3s battery I won with just 5 bids. Basically, I paid $3.72 for it!
Good job! Now where are those d*mn wheel wells?[img][/img]. I finally got a Dremel and am itching for a reason to use it.
i got something in the works. I finally got a metal bender that can make 1'' bends.
Need more sheet metal.
also bought some delrin blocks to make new bumpers.
Why metal and not plastic? Wouldn't metal add more weight?

nitrosportsandrunner 02-05-2013 07:38 AM

RE: UbidRC
 
no really worried about weight. The weight helped it in the snow (see vid)
Would prefer a plastic but only ones availible to me are hard to work with. I can get plexyglass sheets, but tricky to bend into the right shapes even with heat. I tried cutting up a plastic tote, but that plastic was kinda brittle.
Im not 100% sold on the sheet metal, but its the closest to what I want thus far.


Oh, I won a heat gun last night as well:)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWZoW-OnVgQ[/youtube]

nitrosportsandrunner 02-11-2013 05:15 PM

RE: UbidRC
 
I won a Spektrum SPMAR6115 6-Channel DSM2 Microlite rx tonite. Just 5 bids....or $3.50

was thrilled, till I realized I hit my "win limit" this month:(

then a DX2E went for .03! Someone used just 2 bids and won it. Lucky SOB.

Im upto 7 won items since I started playing. You can blow a ton of money if you are not careful (as with any form of gambling) but it is possible to win cool stuff without paying alot.



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:56 AM.