RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Electric technology and the Dremel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11376025-electric-technology-dremel.html)

Ttowntoolman 01-19-2013 08:22 AM

Electric technology and the Dremel

So we all know how electrics have advanced in technology over the years. Look at the difference in power from brushed to brushless etc.....battery life and power output gains have been truely amaising. Can someone please explain the Dremel to me? Why was it left behind?

I have ditched the Dremel in place of an air pencil grinder. I cant stand the powerless plastic piece of wishfull thinking. Just my 2 cents worth. Opinions welcome [8D]

turok007 01-19-2013 08:45 AM

RE: Electric technology and the Dremel

didn't dremel do a brushless version or was it just cordless

big JC 01-19-2013 11:32 AM

Air pencil grinders are awesome as are most pneumatic tools. But comppressors are expensive and loud. I can bust out the $25dremel to tool away at something on my rc at the kitchen table real quick and not bother my girlfriend in the next room.......gets the job done for us that don't have home garages or workshops I guess.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-19-2013 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: big JC

Air pencil grinders are awesome as are most pneumatic tools. But comppressors are expensive and loud. I can bust out the $25 dremel to tool away at something on my rc at the kitchen table real quick and not bother my girlfriend in the next room.......gets the job done for us that don't have home garages or workshops I guess.
dremels also use less power than a compressor

supertib 01-19-2013 02:39 PM

I use a 100 000 RPM dynabrade air spindle ...really nice tool but beyond what someone would buy for regular RC hobby use.....

phmaximus 01-19-2013 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

So we all know how electrics have advanced in technology over the years. Look at the difference in power from brushed to brushless etc.....battery life and power output gains have been truely amaising. Can someone please explain the Dremel to me? Why was it left behind?

I have ditched the Dremel in place of an air pencil grinder. I cant stand the powerless plastic piece of wishfull thinking. Just my 2 cents worth. Opinions welcome [8D]
What model did u have? Powerless? I'm interested to know more, are they really that bad?
I just got a dremel 3000 and I find it plenty powerfull for my hobby projects so far

Just wondering what where u working on that it was found to be underpowered?

turok007 01-20-2013 08:26 AM

i have a older dremel and 99% of the time i use power setting 2

The Mad Modder 01-20-2013 11:34 AM

Myself, I use an electric flex shaft. Depending on which one you get, they can be pretty beefy and still not cost any where near as much as a decent compressor and air pencil die grinder.

Anthoop 01-20-2013 12:25 PM

What is doing the cutting and what you are cutting is just as important as what is driving the cutter.
You can ruin any cutting edge with improper use.
If a tool has the same cutter but is lower powered then you work slower and take lighter cuts.

phmaximus 01-20-2013 05:44 PM

The OP"S complaint reminds me of my father in law, he complains about his tools been underpowered and they keep breaking....
wanna know why? he dosent let the tool do the work, he forces it, ive seen him destory a mini chainsaw, and even push a circular saw so hard it striped the gearbox!!

Seriously ive just blended and ported a 26cc motor with my Dremel, it had tons on power, I was doing some heavy grinding and it was happy, If I worked the tool any harder it wouls be uncontrollableand dammage my tips. what was the OP doing?

How can u even compare a Air grinder to a Dremel? what????
it takes me 2min to set up my dremel on the kitchen bench, and i can use it why the kids are asleep and my wife is watching tv.
hell, even my 1yo can carry the whole Dremel kit...its that light.

I dont see a pencil grinder been very pratical, mobile or versitile.

Great example, just yesterday, the valve caps were stuck on my wifes tyres, (stipid alloy caps)
it took me about 7min to setup and complete the job

where if u used a Air compressor it would of taken 10min to just setup and wait for it to pressureise.... not everyone has a 3hp pluss compressor

kyleshrub 01-20-2013 06:59 PM

Dremels, and both brushed and brushless motors are electric powered. Air pencil grinders are not electric powered. So what was your point, anyway?
<br type="_moz" />

The Hedgehog 01-20-2013 08:26 PM

At least the cordless now are almost all lithium powered. I don't know I never found myself wanting more power in my Dremel tool.

Ttowntoolman 01-21-2013 07:39 AM

I do much grinding and polishing at work. My opinion was formed in the work environment, we would eat up a Dremel tool inside of two weeks. I am a tool and die guy, I work on cutting tools, forming tools and molding tools. The Dremel was used for polishing only so not pushing it really......

kyleshrub 01-21-2013 09:14 AM

I do much grinding and polishing at work. My opinion was formed in the work environment, we would eat up a Dremel tool inside of two weeks. I am a tool and die guy, I work on cutting tools, forming tools and molding tools. The Dremel was used for polishing only so not pushing it really......
I wasn't aware that Dremel ever made, produced, or intended their products to be used for "industrial use" purposes.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/50_50.gif
<br type="_moz" />

The Hedgehog 01-21-2013 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: kyleshrub

I wasn't aware that Dremel ever made, produced, or intended their products to be used for ''industrial use'' purposes. [img][/img]
<br type=''_moz'' />
Jackpot.

FahrtAutoRC 01-21-2013 11:30 AM

I have a decent older Dremel in my basement workshop, but should I feel the need to do more than that can handle, I have an air compressor I use my big tools with, and a nice selection of die grinders, both straight and 90 degree. And should I feel the need to have all that trackside with me, I have a little refillable 10 Gal air tank that fits nicely in the trunk of the car ;) All this, honestly, isn't practical to buy if you don't have other uses for it outside of your hobby!

Ttowntoolman 01-21-2013 11:53 AM

I last used one of my buddies Dremel at the track a couple of months ago. It was a rechargable unit and it was pretty wimpy, (trying to drill out a snapped off screw). Any pressure put on it to push it into the material would cause it to bog or stop almost instintly. I dont know how old it was or how long it went without charging. Seemed the same as I always remembered, gutless, zero tork, poor working switch, and it rattled and slopped around as if there were no bearings in it.

If you all have had better luck with yours, I may entertain purchasing a new Lithium unit for my pitbox. I am very opinionated, but am willing to listen to others experiances......

Anthoop 01-21-2013 01:10 PM

I last used one of my buddies Dremel at the track a couple of months ago. It was a rechargable unit and it was pretty wimpy, (trying to drill out a snapped off screw). Any pressure put on it to push it into the material would cause it to bog or stop almost instintly. I dont know how old it was or how long it went without charging. Seemed the same as I always remembered, gutless, zero tork, poor working switch, and it rattled and slopped around as if there were no bearings in it.

If you all have had better luck with yours, I may entertain purchasing a new Lithium unit for my pitbox. I am very opinionated, but am willing to listen to others experiances......
Dremels are not really made for drilling, for drilling I recommend a drill, I have a Dewalt rechargable that will nearly turn me around before it will stop. ;)

kyleshrub 01-21-2013 02:01 PM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">I wasn't aware that Dremels were made, produced, or intended to be used to drill out hardened screws either.</span>

When I was a child my father gave me a simple lesson - use the right tool for the job.So don't use flat bladed screw drivers on phillips head screws, don't use a monkey wrench on regular nuts, and don't use a hobby grade light duty grinding/sanding implement for any heavy duty purposes.<br type="_moz" />

Ttowntoolman 01-21-2013 02:42 PM

<span style=''font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);''>I wasn't aware that Dremels were made, produced, or intended to be used to drill out hardened screws either.</span>

When I was a child my father gave me a simple lesson - use the right tool for the job. So don't use flat bladed screw drivers on phillips head screws, don't use a monkey wrench on regular nuts, and don't use a hobby grade light duty grinding/sanding implement for any heavy duty purposes.<br type=''_moz'' />
I was trying to drill out a snapped off aluminum ball stud out of carbon fiber for all you smart ashes out there. No one carries a Dewalt drill motor in there pit box, for the most part, a cordless dremel is all we were left with. I am 48 years old and a tool and die guy, I know what the right freekin tool for the job is.

I guess if you all find the Dremel a usefull tool, then use it. Did not mean to Pee in your weaties. Toolman out.....and NEVER MIND!

phmaximus 01-21-2013 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

I wasn't aware that Dremel ever made, produced, or intended their products to be used for ''industrial use'' purposes. [img][/img]
<br type=''_moz'' />
Jackpot.

U do know this is a RC car forum right? what does this have to do with out beloved hobby?
I could understand if u were using it on a r/c car, but u were not.

Ttowntoolman 01-21-2013 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

<br type=''_moz'' />
Jackpot.

U do know this is a RC car forum right? what does this have to do with out beloved hobby?
I could understand if u were using it on a r/c car, but u were not.
U can't read these forums on that I-thingy can you?

phmaximus 01-21-2013 03:01 PM

I was trying to drill out a snapped off aluminum ball stud out of carbon fiber for all you smart ashes out there. No one carries a Dewalt drill motor in there pit box, for the most part, a cordless dremel is all we were left with. I am 48 years old and a tool and die guy, I know what the right freekin tool for the job is.

I guess if you all find the Dremel a usefull tool, then use it. Did not mean to Pee in your weaties. Toolman out.....and NEVER MIND!
Dont get fustrated, u were the one that provided little to no information, and the peoples oppinions and conclusions were based of ur comments and from what i can see fully justifiable.

Seriously if u were cutting alloy with a dremel and slowed down to a stop, something was wrong.
im keen to find out more information on that

now for my smartass comment :D:D:D

so what u are saying u are 48 and cant Dremel alloy?

might be worth asking this girl for some pointers?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MofKOHP5Trs[/youtube]

phmaximus 01-21-2013 03:09 PM

U can't read these forums on that I-thingy can you?

whats that ment to mean, are u having a go because i thought u were using it on a non rc related project????

maby u computer does not show the time of the posts (unlikely)

Did u stop to think that i was writing my post while u were doing yourse???? wow could it be 2 post at the same time WOW

I dident see ur post untill i posted mine, allso the 20th post was the first to mention a rc car.

so saying that who made the mistake?

kyleshrub 01-21-2013 03:26 PM

I have ditched the Dremel in place of an air pencil grinder. I cant stand the powerless plastic piece of wishfull thinking. Just my 2 cents worth. <u>Opinions welcome</u>

I was trying to drill out a snapped off aluminum ball stud out of carbon fiber for all you smart ashes out there. No one carries a Dewalt drill motor in there pit box, for the most part, a cordless dremel is all we were left with. I am 48 years old and a tool and die guy, <u>I know what the right freekin tool for the job is</u>.

Then why didn't you know this was the <u>wrong</u> tool for the job? If anyone, you should have known better.

I'm confused. If you didn't want, or want to hear, other people's opinions, then why did you ask?
<br type="_moz" />