RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Redcat Mirage unboxing / body off/ running vid (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11436371-redcat-mirage-unboxing-body-off-running-vid.html)

nitrosportsandrunner 04-07-2013 10:14 AM

RE: Redcat Mirage unboxing / body off/ running vid

oh, looks like tboneracing has gotten some bumpers!
They make basher bumpers....on par with any RPM parts.
Not as stealthy as I hoped for, but should add alot more durability.
http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/R...ro-p1179.html?
http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/R...Pro-p1178.html

-JBLKING- 04-07-2013 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

Man, this buggy certainly looks promising nothing! Anything you recommend tweaking out of the box? How are those custom parts coming?

I still can not believe how much buggy you get for the money! and your eval seems promising, nitro! I cant decide whether I want to build a buggy from a LCG Slash 2wd or just get this!<br type="" />
1st attempt at custom suspension pin holders were out of a plastic slash chassis....didnt hold up.
I do believe that the cold temps effected the plastic. simillar jumps have been done now without issue.

I cant say if the mirage is as good as the exo. I havent owned an exo. I have owned the ax10 and scx10. based on how awsome those trucks are, Im sure that the exo is well built. Other than the mirage having a better battery tray setup, I dont think the mirage has a leg up on the exo.

But I will say this, the Mirage is a good step above other Redcat models. Tougher parts, better design. Not so generic as the other brushless trucks.

The mirage is also faster than the RTR exo. According to jang's review (correct me if I am wrong) it does 35mph on a 3s. The mirage does 45mph on the stock (OK, but not awsome) 3s lipo. On 4s it nearly hits 60mph. It screams!

Pretty much everyone who has seen my mirage has said "thats and exo right?"
So, basically I own a "exo" that costs $100 less than the RTR exo and is faster!
I am hopefull that some upgrades will come out. Im still waiting for Tboneracing to offer a bumper/skid plate!

The battery door is a huge plus especially when you need to unscrew 15 +/- screws to take the body off!
How is the battery included performing for ya so far?

The exo is also available as a kit for $220- and the RTR price is now $350 so these two models are getting pretty comparable.

Has anyone tried putting exo parts on the mirage? The low aftermarket makes me uneasy about supporting this model.

<br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 04-09-2013 04:53 AM

where did you find the RTR exo for $350?
That does make the choice harder if you had to pick.

The battery door makes it easy to install a battery. The only thing that doesnt work right is the small tabs you have to pull for the door to open. sand gets inside the sliders and my fingers cant get a good enough hold to pull them sometimes. Any flat tool does the job. I just have to have a screw driver, or at least a body pin to get it open.
But there is enough room in there to fit a pair of 2s, 5000mah hardcased packs (for 4s) and my 3s 5000mah fits with room to spare.

Only issue I am having is the dang suspension pin holders. broke my third set yesturday. Other than that, this model is holding up very well.

I think I will pick up the axial pin holders. Even if they do not fit, they should be close enought that I can mod them to work.

If the exo RTR has come down to $350....then the price diff is now only $50. The exo is faster out of the box, has a battery and the battery door is better. But the exo is likely tougher and will have more aftermarket support. tough choice.

I do have tboneracing front and rear bumpers coming for my exo.

-JBLKING- 04-09-2013 09:07 AM

where did you find the RTR exo for $350?
That does make the choice harder if you had to pick.

The battery door makes it easy to install a battery. The only thing that doesnt work right is the small tabs you have to pull for the door to open. sand gets inside the sliders and my fingers cant get a good enough hold to pull them sometimes. Any flat tool does the job. I just have to have a screw driver, or at least a body pin to get it open.
But there is enough room in there to fit a pair of 2s, 5000mah hardcased packs (for 4s) and my 3s 5000mah fits with room to spare.

Only issue I am having is the dang suspension pin holders. broke my third set yesturday. Other than that, this model is holding up very well.

I think I will pick up the axial pin holders. Even if they do not fit, they should be close enought that I can mod them to work.

If the exo RTR has come down to $350....then the price diff is now only $50. The exo is faster out of the box, has a battery and the battery door is better. But the exo is likely tougher and will have more aftermarket support. tough choice.

I do have tboneracing front and rear bumpers coming for my exo.
just look on tower hobbies<a href="http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&amp;I=LXCNTC&amp;P=ML">http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XCNTC&amp;P=ML
looks like $300 now! limited time sale!

the price makes these two a hard choice
</a>
The battery door is a huge plus when it takes 16 screws to remove the exo body.

Are you replacing the pin holders with stock ones?
Let us know if the exo ones fit!

[ The exo is faster out of the box, has a battery and the battery door is better. ] you mean redcat right?

not sure which body I like better. I like the color scheme on the sandrail the best.
<br type="_moz" />

-JBLKING- 04-09-2013 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

The bottom battery door feature is great for changing out your battery without unscrewing the entire roll cage. Definitely a plus over the Axial exo.
yep,
granted, the locks are hard to pull down on once you pinch them together. I use a body pin or screw driver on one lock so I can pull downward once I pinch them together.
But its not that hard, and once you have the door off the battery goes in easy. Plenty of wire so the plug comes out of the battery tray making it easy to plug/unplug the battery. And it closes easy to.

It is natural to wanna compare this to the exo. And they are the same basic size / look. But the RTR exo is $400. And that price doesnt include a battery or charger. The Mirage is $300 shipped and includes batt/charger.

I am in no way saying that makes the Mirage better. While I havent seen a exo 1st hand, i have owned other axial products, and they are top notch stuff.

I wont be able to speak as to the durability until I have had at least 10 packs threw it. With just 2 pack, all I can say is no issues yet.

I should mention that some of the hardware is star drive, not hex. This is a bit odd because redcat's other models either have phillips or hex hardware.
I still wonder if Redcat has more than 1 OEM supplying their models now. Otherwise you would think it would be hex hardware like on the other models.

If the take the Mirage on its own, its alot of RC for your money. If you compare it to the exo (my opinion) its a toss up. If you have $450 (exo plus a lipo) then it may be worth the extra money to get it.
If you only have $300 to spend, then I dont think you can go wrong. There are not many RTR brushless 1/8 models for that price anyway...but the mirage may be the best out of that range.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWaCaODTmeU&amp;list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRka KGQ&amp;index=1[/youtube]
how do you like your sandstorm? Ive been looking at one of those too.
<br type="_moz" />

BKoz559 04-09-2013 06:20 PM

Until April 19th, the EXO RTR is $299.

If you're a Tower 'Club' member then you can take an additional $50 off and get free shipping. It still doesn't include a battery, but you can't argue with the price. It almost makes me want to get another one. Almost.

nitrosportsandrunner 04-11-2013 03:30 AM

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Until April 19th, the EXO RTR is $299.

If you're a Tower 'Club' member then you can take an additional $50 off and get free shipping. It still doesn't include a battery, but you can't argue with the price. It almost makes me want to get another one. Almost.

dang, thats awsome that the price came down.
If only it was as fast as the mirage...Id think about buying one.
I am also not a fan of castle stuff. Its probly fine, but I hate how they program via a computer and Ive had a couple sidewinders go up in smoke. Castle does back up their stuff, but I still prefer ezrun/hobbywing. Not saying its better, just what I prefer.

Maybe the Mirage helped reduce the price of the exo? It is direct compitition.

I am going to buy the exo suspension pin mounts and see if they fit the mirage...or if they can be modded easy to fit it.

I have some 40K diff oil coming as well. Gonna tame that center diff.

XtrmTJ 07-01-2013 12:31 PM

Any updates ?  EXO pins work ?  Any new Mods ?  Details, ... we need details !  (lol)  TIA !

nitrosportsandrunner 07-01-2013 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: XtrmTJ

Any updates ? EXO pins work ? Any new Mods ? Details, ... we need details ! (lol) TIA !
afraid I sold my mirage.
Awsome power system, great driveline, good battery tray....brittle plastic arms and pin holders.

I have no doubt that either the exo pin holders could be modded (if not direct fit) or that one could fab up some out of a mild alloy that would do the job. The shape isn't that complex.
As for the arms, if one is gonna fab up pin holders, might as well make them work for exo arms.