RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Help with rc car auction (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11480032-help-rc-car-auction.html)

readysetlaunch 04-16-2013 06:21 AM

Help with rc car auction

Hello, I've been cruising the site for months now as I try and plan my first build and have finally decided to register.<div>Im in college and will be working on a shoestring budget to say the least. a friend contacted me whose around</div><div>my experience level about an auction he found online containing a large section of 1/10 scale rc cars, chassis'</div><div>parts etc. I know I'm losing my edge by posting about it but I'de rather have some experienced guys and gals give me some insight</div><div>on whats here and whether it would be worth my hard earned money trying to start a new build using whats in the</div><div>auction. I'm looking to build a 1/10 scale on-road car, manufacturer isnt a huge factor as im just looking to get</div><div>on the track come the warm weather. The auctions cataloge is here http://netteauctions.com/toytrainexchange/04-27-13/lots.htm</div><div>if you guys have any insight I'de definently appreciate it. Thanks!</div>

redfisher1974 04-16-2013 06:34 AM

RE: Help with rc car auction

Just make sure you look at the rules and fees etc, As you don't want to win something and pay more then its worth.

flyinwalenda 04-16-2013 06:48 AM

I can give you some advice on auctions. I've attended quite a few dealing in almost everything. Estate auctions and country auctions are the best. High profile "collectable" auctions usually command high prices BUT deals can still be found.
You can get some good deals at auctions but you can also overpay of you are not careful.
All auctions are different. Some have online bidding, some have high buyers premiums, some have minimum bids, etc...
A few auctions use/allow shills to drive the prices up .
You need to do your homework before attending to know what things are worth and actually inspect the items to determine the value.
Determine the most you will spend on each lot (including any premium)and don't go over it..
Looking at this auction they are allowing online bidding so that increases your competition BUT online bids have a minimum of $50.00 so if something starts out at $1.00 you won't have online competition until / if it reaches $50.00.
They have a 14% buyers premium tacked on to your final bid.
They charge tax unless you have a reseller tax number.
They charge an extra 4% if you use a credit card.

All of those fees add up and you need to consider them part of the actual cost of the item.
Sometimes lots get little to no interest and you can pick things up for next to nothing. Sometimes you can get into a bidding war with someone and before you realize it you have overpaid for that item.

Research prices on what you are interested in and include all of their premiums to determine what your final bid will be.
Good luck !

Also, some auctions charge you to register and get a bidding number . I didn't see that mentioned at this one.

redfisher1974 04-16-2013 06:49 AM

Great advice ^

phmaximus 04-16-2013 07:14 AM

Sounds dodgy to me...

A) Bid Increments

Minimum Bid Increments:
$1 - $200 $10
$200 - $1,000 $20
$1,000 - $2,000 $50
$2,000 - $10,000 $100
$10,000 & Over $250
Larger increments may be used if floor bidders allow.

6.35% Connecticut Sales tax on all purchases

Shipping will be calculated at $10 per box plus the estimated cost of shipping and insurance. Actual costs above estimate will be the responsibility of the buyer, Damage to lots in transit is not NETTE's responsibility.

There is a 14% buyer.s premium, which will be added to all auction purchases.

we do not accept bids below $50.

Stuff that!!!!

phmaximus 04-16-2013 07:16 AM

Oops looks like I took to long to post lol

turok007 04-16-2013 07:27 AM

you should study the ones you want then write down your best price. and is it easy to get a refund for faulty items.

flyinwalenda 04-16-2013 07:30 AM

Looking through the history of this auction they specialize in collectable toys and trains. This one has a lot of tin toys which usually bring a lot of bids and a lot of collectable items. Also a lot of musical instruments so that will be an added  draw.
The RC car parts may not get a lot of action but they are early in the auction and you may get a deal.  I always liked when items of my interest would be at the end of the auction as most people would leave by then !

redfisher1974 04-16-2013 07:32 AM

Maybe better just picking up a Tamiya on road kit and have fun building it.... Lunchboxer could hook you up...

SyCo_VeNoM 04-16-2013 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Sounds dodgy to me...

A) Bid Increments

Minimum Bid Increments:
$1 - $200 $10
$200 - $1,000 $20

$1,000 - $2,000 $50
$2,000 - $10,000 $100
$10,000 & Over $250

Shipping will be calculated at $10 per box plus the estimated cost of shipping and insurance. Actual costs above estimate will be the responsibility of the buyer, Damage to lots in transit is not NETTE's responsibility.

Stuff that!!!!
what the... they don't accept bids under $50 but for under $1000 rthe increments $10-20?

site sounds dodgy as hell, and makes ebay seem reasonable

flyinwalenda 04-16-2013 07:42 AM

As far as the RC stuff you won't be getting any refunds. I didn't see any description stating that something is operating fine. Most say "it appears to be functional"....not "it IS functional".
The only time you would be able to return something is if it was graded or described in a particular way and upon closer inspection you found out otherwise.
As-is where-is !

flyinwalenda 04-16-2013 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Sounds dodgy to me...

A) Bid Increments

Minimum Bid Increments:
$1 - $200 $10
$200 - $1,000 $20

$1,000 - $2,000 $50
$2,000 - $10,000 $100
$10,000 &amp; Over $250

Stuff that!!!!
what the... they don't accept bids under $50 but for under $1000 rthe increments $10-20?

You need to read the rules again. ONLINE bids only start at $50.00. Floor bidding can start at $1.00 and if floor bids don't get above $25.00 any online bidder cannot get in. Good for the floor bidders. Most online bidders will be going after the tin toys and musical instruments and those will probably start at $50.00.
'The bid increments are typical. With 700 lots and dealing with $1.00 or $5.00 increments you would be there WAY too long to finish everything.

This does not appear to be a LIVE online auction but rather a way for bidders to leave a bid on an item via the internet(you can also "leave" bids via email, phone and fax). Looks like you can update your bid prior to auction start but when the auction starts you can't update it anylonger and online, phone, email, fax bidding is closed. That's they way it looks to me.
You should call them to verfy but I don't think they have live online bidding as the auction is underway.

redfisher1974 04-16-2013 07:51 AM

Thanks Brian, You seem to have good info on these auctions.

flyinwalenda 04-16-2013 07:57 AM

Sure !  Auctions are fun and a way to get stuff (cheap sometimes) as long as you know the rules and pitfalls !

SyCo_VeNoM 04-16-2013 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Sounds dodgy to me...

A) Bid Increments

Minimum Bid Increments:
$1 - $200 $10
$200 - $1,000 $20

$1,000 - $2,000 $50
$2,000 - $10,000 $100
$10,000 & Over $250

Stuff that!!!!

You need to read the rules again. ONLINE bids only start at $50.00. Floor bidding can start at $1.00 and if floor bids don't get above $25.00 any online bidder cannot get in. Good for the floor bidders. Most online bidders will be going after the tin toys and musical instruments and those will probably start at $50.00.
'The bid increments are typical. With 700 lots and dealing with $1.00 or $5.00 increments you would be there WAY too long to finish everything.

This does not appear to be a LIVE online auction but rather a way for bidders to leave a bid on an item via the internet(you can also ''leave'' bids via email, phone and fax). Looks like you can update your bid prior to auction start but when the auction starts you can't update it anylonger and online, phone, email, fax bidding is closed. That's they way it looks to me.
You should call them to verfy but I don't think they have live online bidding as the auction is underway.

ahhhh ok this is a live bidding place thought it was like ebay and online only now it makes sense

Foxy 04-16-2013 08:42 AM

You must go and bid on that Xray T3 (lot 10). Don't pay more than 200 bucks (it's probably worth 400, but with all those hidden auction costs they have, stick to 200, you'll probably get it if most of the punters are there for the tin stuff), but if you get it under 200, you have one of the finest RC's available, for peanuts. It's only recently been replaced by the T4.

readysetlaunch 04-16-2013 12:46 PM

Hey guys, I appreciate all the direction. It's clear im getting alot of solid information in regards to not only the auction process but where to start as far as a build. For some of you guys that could look at a basket case and build a car lol, is there a way to get to a built running car through whats up for auction?

The Hedgehog 04-16-2013 01:00 PM

What about something like this? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGXB3&P=7

It's a kit you get to piece together with great instructions.

phmaximus 04-16-2013 03:03 PM

Those fees are rediclius compared to the biggest auction site in the world (eBay)

SyCo_VeNoM 04-16-2013 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

What about something like this? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGXB3&P=7

It's a kit you get to piece together with great instructions.
thats an original TT01 the TT01e's have better bulkheads from what I remember(and a few other parts)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBGTR&P=7

When I got my TT01e I almost bought that one as I was like oooh its cheaper, but a few people set me straight that it was inferior to the tt01e

flyinwalenda 04-17-2013 04:21 AM

I would say if someone could attend they would get most of that car stuff fairly cheap. From the little research I did there are a few higher valued lots there.

Foxy 04-17-2013 04:26 AM

Indeed. The Xray cars that include top of the line electrics are worth upward of $500, you may even get them for 100.