RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Comic Book Guys (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11553113-comic-book-guys.html)

john2364 06-25-2013 12:38 PM

Comic Book Guys

Ughh, why does every hobby store have to have at least one Comic Book Guy (Simpsons reference if you do not know what I am talking about) working there? Most of the hobby store employees are nice and helpful however, there is always that one dude at every store I have been to. The last one at hobby town in Orland park had a terrible superiority complex, didn't want to do anything. Aside from his social ineptness, he gave me blatantly incorrect advice and aggressively insisted that he was right (He insisted that you could not charge lipos in series w/o destroying them). Pathetic individuals like this do not give me any incentive to support my local shop.

The only exception that I have encountered was Larry's R/C in Michigan. I do not think that this place still exists but I never ran into a jerk there. Of course, there might have been one that I missed.

What are your experiences?

Eman77 06-25-2013 12:54 PM

RE: Comic Book Guys

The LHS that used to be buy me had 2 really nice guys working there, actually.

By comparison, another well known one (that's popular for some reason) in the area had some pretty rude employees - like you're putting them out when you ask for something. Never went back to that one.

SyCo_VeNoM 06-25-2013 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: john2364

Ughh, why does every hobby store have to have at least one Comic Book Guy (Simpsons reference if you do not know what I am talking about) working there? Most of the hobby store employees are nice and helpful however, there is always that one dude at every store I have been to. The last one at hobby town in Orland park had a terrible superiority complex, didn't want to do anything. Aside from his social ineptness, he gave me blatantly incorrect advice and aggressively insisted that he was right (He insisted that you could not charge lipos in series w/o destroying them). Pathetic individuals like this do not give me any incentive to support my local shop.

The only exception that I have encountered was Larry's R/C in Michigan. I do not think that this place still exists but I never ran into a jerk there. Of course, there might have been one that I missed.

Hmm in a way that is right, and wrong at the same time.
The problem is not knowing the knowledge level of the customer.
I say its a half true statement cause if you plug a 4000mah 25C battery in series with a 5000mah 40C battery you could damage the 4000mah battery specially if their charge rates vary. Lets face it you read all the time people doing stupid things. As someone that worked in support I've learned you could talk to the average customer till you are blue in the face, and they won't have heard a word. Now as you probably know 2 of the same capacity, and impedance batteries you can do it with as long as the impedance, and capacity matches.

I will be honest one hobby shop I hit the owner was a total jack ass acted like he didn't care at all ignoring customers, giving terrible advice(like telling me stuff about a nitro engine I knew was 100% wrong, and it turned out he never even used a nitro even), etc

Other hobby shop I went to had one that acted like that, but he actually knew his stuff, and would try and talk people out of wasting their money (like if they asked for integy he would tell them its complete crap). Hell he talked me into getting my Jammin X1x, which is a model the shop didn't even sell.

littlemel 06-25-2013 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I say its a half true statement cause if you plug a 4000mah 25C battery in series with a 5000mah 40C battery you could damage the 4000mah battery specially if their charge rates vary. Lets face it you read all the time people doing stupid things. As someone that worked in support I've learned you could talk to the average customer till you are blue in the face, and they won't have heard a word. Now as you probably know 2 of the same capacity, and impedance batteries you can do it with as long as the impedance, and capacity matches.

I will be honest one hobby shop I hit the owner was a total jack ass acted like he didn't care at all ignoring customers, giving terrible advice(like telling me stuff about a nitro engine I knew was 100% wrong, and it turned out he never even used a nitro even), etc

Other hobby shop I went to had one that acted like that, but he actually knew his stuff, and would try and talk people out of wasting their money (like if they asked for <span style="font-size: large;">integy he would tell them its complete crap</span>). Hell he talked me into getting my Jammin X1x, which is a model the shop didn't even sell.

Some/most of it is......

As a employee of a hobbyshop you learn that everybodys knowlege of the hobby is different. We have a 11 year old who can tell you anything and everything about his car, then a 40 year old guy cant tke his wheel off...... You have to gauge the customers level of knowledge and go from there.

<br type="_moz" />

SyCo_VeNoM 06-25-2013 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: littlemel

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Other hobby shop I went to had one that acted like that, but he actually knew his stuff, and would try and talk people out of wasting their money (like if they asked for <span style=''font-size: large;''>integy he would tell them its complete crap</span>). Hell he talked me into getting my Jammin X1x, which is a model the shop didn't even sell.

Some/most of it is......

As a employee of a hobbyshop you learn that everybodys knowlege of the hobby is different. We have a 11 year old who can tell you anything and everything about his car, then a 40 year old guy cant tke his wheel off...... You have to gauge the customers level of knowledge and go from there.

<br type=''_moz'' />
Well I will be honest Integy read HD savage hubs aren't bad [:@], but the vast majority of what they make is IMO pretty worthless outside going Bling Bling.

But this was like 3-4 or so years ago he worked there and at the time it pretty much Integy was all terrible(Kinda like venom gear).

I saw a 40 year old guy that was gonna buy a new $200 2.4 ghz radio cause his nephew "broke" his radio cause it wouldn't go forward when he hit the throttle. The clerk(that I mentioned) tried telling him it more then likely wasn't broke, but the guy wouldn't listen, and kept ranting on it. In the mean time the clerk grabbed the radio, hit the reverse switch, centered the dials, and said "now go home,and run it" the guy looked embarrassed/pissed off then stormed out without saying thanks even.

thehuntingterminator 06-26-2013 08:15 AM

Syco is right. There are simply so many things that have to be explained to a customer who's just getting in. Say he's buying a Stampede 4x4, smart charger, and 2s lipo. He's going to have questions about EVERYTHING he's buying, and rightfully so considering how much money he's spending, so then you've just gotta answer those questions. Then you've got to explain to him how to use the truck basically, how to use the charger with the battery he picked, and then what extra stuff he may/want need to upgrade or get down the road. That's a lot to explain to someone in the 20 minutes they may be in the store. So while I definitely wish morons didn't work in hobby shops (which unfortunately there are some truly stupid hobby shop workers out there), a lot of the time it's more of the sales person trying to make everything as simple as possible and as quick/easy as possible. And you've also gotta remember that each hobby shop worker is his/her own individual person. Some don't like being wrong and will argue with you even if they are (sounds like that's what happened to you). But then again, they're just people, so they're gonna have flaws, and not be perfect. In general though people who work there should know as much as they can at least about what they're selling.

Foxy 06-26-2013 08:18 AM

You guys are too politically correct. I humiliate these kind of people without remorse or mercy. Then I go back the following day and do it again.

But that's just me. :)