RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   stuck up hobby shops (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11568830-stuck-up-hobby-shops.html)

nitrosportsandrunner 07-13-2013 07:58 PM

stuck up hobby shops

ok, so at my hobby shop today.
Now, I know the guy running the counter and the owner both own MANY rcs. They race all the time and own many expensive models.

And I do understand that if you can afford a Mustang, you don't buy a focus.

But that doesn't mean you gotta put down the focus!

As someone who has often run Redcats, I kind of got used to put-downs.

But today, the hobby shop guys were putting down the ECX torment....saying the slash is hands-down the better basher.
The slash without battery is $220. The torment is $190 (just $150 on ebay) Both are waterproof. Both 2.4ghz. Both high CG chassis.
The slash is a bit faster on the top end...but having owned both I can say I like the torment much more. Out of the box it just handles better. Tires grip better, body tends to last longer and overall just works well.

Now I know everyone has their own opinions....but these guys almost sounded like Traxxas sales men! Sure, the slash is a better basher....once you upgrade half the parts to RPM! Traxxas has better aftermarket support.

Anyway, it just bugged me. As the guys behind the counter, they really shouldn't speak negatively of a model unless its a very well known issue. And that's the thing, they couldn't speak of a reason the torment isn't good....just that the traxxas is BETTER. Well at $70 more and not even including a battery it had better be!
Traxxas makes good stuff sure, but that doesn't mean they are the best, or that they are the best for certain people. Seem like hobby shops tell all newbs they should start with a traxxas. sometimes people don't have $250 to spend! And even at $190 the torment is a great truck. At $150 on ebay, its a killer truck.

All that said, when I had them look at the latrax on traxxas' site, even they agreed that its silly and overpriced...LOL!!! Even they could see it.

Foxy 07-14-2013 01:39 AM

RE: stuck up hobby shops

Focus RS500&gt;Any Mustang in any contest.<div></div><div>http://image.eurotuner.com/f/euro-ne...ocus-rs500.jpg</div>

nitrosportsandrunner 07-14-2013 04:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Focus RS500>Any Mustang in any contest.<div> </div><div>[img][/img]</div>
LOL, thanx foxy. Perfect reply. Is that the focus with a Volvo 2.5 turbo motor? Its either that one or a Europe spec focus. You guys get all the really cool cars. Oh, how I would love a turbo 740 Volvo with a manual trans! In USA we only got automatic turbos:(
I just don't understand those who think if an RC doesn't have a large pricetag that it cant be good. I suppose its their lose really.

Foxy 07-14-2013 08:50 AM

Yes, it's the volvo powered 2.5 turbo tuned up to 350hp and given a matt black paint job. We euro folks really do get all the best hatchbacks, its true.

nitrosportsandrunner 07-14-2013 09:54 AM

Yes, it's the volvo powered 2.5 turbo tuned up to 350hp and given a matt black paint job. We euro folks really do get all the best hatchbacks, its true.
who would have thought that there would be a day when overpowering a car meant slapping in a VOLVO engine...lol
Ive owned a 1991 Volvo 740 turbo....with a 2.5'' manderal bent turbo back exhaust...no cat, custom intake, larger injectors and running the max 15psi that the computer will allow. All that resulted in a touch over 200hp (not bad for an old car with 300k miles on it ) and man was it fun to drive! I just wish the US had gotten the turbo's with manual trans.
Would love to drive the 300hp s60r AWD sedan. Tho, IMO Volvos stopped being Volvos after the 900's stopped being made. The RWD Volvos were the really fun ones.

Ever wish car companies would go back to making cars from the late 80's early 90's? When a light weight car was hardly over 2000 pounds...and a 120hp engine was enough to make such a car fast and fun?
Ive looked into the scion FRS. Its considered a cheap and lightweight sports car. but its close to 3000 pounds. And Im not a fan of the boxer...give me an inline motor any day.

I recently watched a video of a lotus elise that was compound charged...supercharger for the low end and massive turbo on the top. 700 WHEEL horse power! 0-60 in under 2 seconds. More HP per pound than the bugati! That's the way to build a car, light 1st, then add power.

kinda wish RC companies would think the say way. Traxxas is going the way the big car makers are. Adding lots of gizmos we don't need to entice us...instead of making better and more durable models. I like having a 2.4ghz radio....but I don't need fancy menu buttons that require a frickin manual to use. I don't need my phone to dock with it. I just need it to control the car.

I am surprised that traxxas is now selling models Without battery/charger. I kinda like that change. Wish Redcat would do the same (as most of their nimh packs are kinda wimpy)

Its like the heads of the large companies are out of touch with their customers wants. Like how Microsoft got a thrashing because of the new Xbox One. How off they were to think we would be OK with "always online" checkins and no more used games. Selling your used games and buying other used games is a big deal, it supports a whole type of store. And Microsoft thought they could just change that. At least they listened to the outcry and are getting rid of those features. If only Traxxas could follow microsofts example.

SyCo_VeNoM 07-14-2013 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ok, so at my hobby shop today.
Now, I know the guy running the counter and the owner both own MANY rcs. They race all the time and own many expensive models.

And I do understand that if you can afford a Mustang, you don't buy a focus.

But that doesn't mean you gotta put down the focus!

As someone who has often run Redcats, I kind of got used to put-downs.

But today, the hobby shop guys were putting down the ECX torment....saying the slash is hands-down the better basher.
The slash without battery is $220. The torment is $190 (just $150 on ebay) Both are waterproof. Both 2.4ghz. Both high CG chassis.
The slash is a bit faster on the top end...but having owned both I can say I like the torment much more. Out of the box it just handles better. Tires grip better, body tends to last longer and overall just works well.

Now I know everyone has their own opinions....but these guys almost sounded like Traxxas sales men! Sure, the slash is a better basher....once you upgrade half the parts to RPM! Traxxas has better aftermarket support.

Anyway, it just bugged me. As the guys behind the counter, they really shouldn't speak negatively of a model unless its a very well known issue. And that's the thing, they couldn't speak of a reason the torment isn't good....just that the traxxas is BETTER. Well at $70 more and not even including a battery it had better be!
Traxxas makes good stuff sure, but that doesn't mean they are the best, or that they are the best for certain people. Seem like hobby shops tell all newbs they should start with a traxxas. sometimes people don't have $250 to spend! And even at $190 the torment is a great truck. At $150 on ebay, its a killer truck.

All that said, when I had them look at the latrax on traxxas' site, even they agreed that its silly and overpriced...LOL!!! Even they could see it.
Cause they ARE ;)

Its like the heads of the large companies are out of touch with their customers wants. Like how Microsoft got a thrashing because of the new Xbox One. How off they were to think we would be OK with ''always online'' checkins and no more used games. Selling your used games and buying other used games is a big deal, it supports a whole type of store. And Microsoft thought they could just change that. At least they listened to the outcry and are getting rid of those features. If only Traxxas could follow microsofts example.
Again cause they are (specially the head of MS Steve Balmer he is completely out of touch with reality, just look at windows 8 everyone wanted a touchscreen OS built around phones on non touchscreen computers...)

nitrosportsandrunner 07-14-2013 01:40 PM

its sad really, im not really looking forward to the new xbox. Sure, the graphics will be better...and I will end up buying one at some point to play the next Forza. But there is a lot of crap being put into that console that I will never use. I have a computer to surf the web. I don't need a gaming system that can tell my voice and do what I say (that's what controllers are for) and I certainly don't need one that can tell who is in the room (via the camera) and base the commercial ads on that.
I am looking forward to the new GTA game in sept. Holy crap does that look good.

But I suppose that's alittle off topic. Or is it? cause when it comes to RC's I cant say there is a new model (within the past year) that I would truly love to own. Other than the twin hammers, not much of the new releases has impressed. And the twin hammers does so only because of what it is capable of...not what it can do out of the box. Its a bit small for my taste and does have a couple of issues (Shift servo, underpowered and overpriced) But at least it is not some re-hash of an old design or a lame design marketed at newbs who don't know they are overpaying.

turok007 07-14-2013 02:23 PM

that game does look good but it also looks so unrealistic.

nitrosportsandrunner 07-14-2013 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: turok007

who wants a game that portrays real life? We all do that, its boring. I want a massive open world were I can do all the crazy stuff you cant do in real life.
It looks like it will combine the stuff I liked from GTA4, along with the massive world size and terrain variation that was in Just Cause 2.
The official gamplay videos out do show what the 360 can really do.
Only problem is, I still own a standard def TV! All the games out today I cant read any of the fonts as they are tiny and blurry. kinda ticks me off really. So before I get a new xbox, Ill be buying a HD tv.

SyCo_VeNoM 07-14-2013 03:00 PM

its sad really, im not really looking forward to the new xbox. Sure, the graphics will be better...and I will end up buying one at some point to play the next Forza. But there is a lot of crap being put into that console that I will never use. I have a computer to surf the web. I don't need a gaming system that can tell my voice and do what I say (that's what controllers are for) and I certainly don't need one that can tell who is in the room (via the camera) and base the commercial ads on that.
I am looking forward to the new GTA game in sept. Holy crap does that look good.

But I suppose that's alittle off topic. Or is it? cause when it comes to RC's I cant say there is a new model (within the past year) that I would truly love to own. Other than the twin hammers, not much of the new releases has impressed. And the twin hammers does so only because of what it is capable of...not what it can do out of the box. Its a bit small for my taste and does have a couple of issues (Shift servo, underpowered and overpriced) But at least it is not some re-hash of an old design or a lame design marketed at newbs who don't know they are overpaying.
Why I bought a Wii U

As for Xbone (X Box One) or PS4 games I'll wait till some people just make a boot loader for windows, or a VM to play those as they are based on standard desktop processors. I look at it like this if they can make emulators to play games programmed for Power PC on windows, how hard will it be to make one that loads games programed for a game console that basically is running windows (like the Xbone). Or how most of the games will come out on the PC anyways for less ;)

Ditto on the RC stuff too. Can't say there was really any model that has made me want it in ages. I'll also be honest most my RC stuff also has had no action in ages as either the weather don't co-operate when I got free time, injured(couldn't walk for almost 2 weeks when I had free time...), or I got stuff to do IRL that has to take priority.

flatpickhippster 07-14-2013 03:07 PM

Replying to stuck up HS.....

I recently worked at a well known HS chain.

Traxxas.....bottom line Traxxas/distributor gav e the store about 90 days of float and if it didn't sell send it back for full and get another Traxxas vehicle.....no $$ out of store owner pockets, upgrade/trade-ins, parts avail!! Customer service A-
So of course traxxas gets pushed.

Kyosho. and others....makes some bad ass venicles.. They also require a huge up front investment from store owners....which means too much risk to stock it all...etc.

Redcat....great prices, B qlty control, and getting parts is a nightmare IME.

HS owners are just trying to stay afloat and that sometimes means the true enthusiaist gets treated like the goober.

Good Luck

collector1231 07-14-2013 04:38 PM

Just to say, flatpickhippster, you are correct. And, the slash is plenty durable; if you don't put a friggin' 2.5 550 10000 KV motor with a 6s. It is great with the titan or a mild brusless system. ECX cars aren't the best quality you can find. Parts support stinks, and all of them are nearly junk. ECX; Entry Level.

littlemel 07-14-2013 05:06 PM

I would have to say that the slash is better based off a few simple things.  First......part support, every hobby shop that has rc will prob have traxxas parts. Second is upgradeability with rpm or aluminium parts.  Now the ecx has it's place though.  They are made more for beginners tha want to try out the hobby without paying alot to get into it.  Not saying the ecx sucks.

nitrosportsandrunner 07-15-2013 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: collector1231

Just to say, flatpickhippster, you are correct. And, the slash is plenty durable; if you don't put a friggin' 2.5 550 10000 KV motor with a 6s. It is great with the titan or a mild brusless system. ECX cars aren't the best quality you can find. Parts support stinks, and all of them are nearly junk. ECX; Entry Level.
parts support on the traxxas is better sure....but out of the box the ecx is better IMO. Why beat down on the new guy about parts support. We know half the reason traxxas has great parts support is that half their stuff uses 90% of the same parts.

ECX got some bad flack early on from the FM radios they came out with. But its all 2.4 now (torment always was)

Ive owned both and never had any more breakage with the torment than the slash. but the torment handled better and just felt more lively.
I haven't owned the ecx 1/8 models, but I don't see why anyone would call the boost/torment/ junk.
IMO, if you are gonna call the torment entry level, then the slash should be called the same. I don't think you will find any truck that is as close to the slash in every way as the torment is. Heck, the driveshafts from the slash can be used in a torment!

I can agree that the lack of aftermarket support hurts the ecx. It can never be built up as a slash can be. In that respect, it is slightly more entry level....its meant to be bought, run as is, have fun with it, ect. But you cant build it into a 80mph speed freak or a 60mph offroad basher. That's not to say it doesn't do just fine with a brushless system. I had the boost with a brushless and it held up like a bandit would.

rgburrill 07-15-2013 04:51 AM

Yes, it's the volvo powered 2.5 turbo tuned up to350hp and given a matt black paint job. We euro folks really do get all the best hatchbacks, its true.
who would have thought that there would be a day when overpowering a car meant slapping in a VOLVO engine...lol
Ive owned a 1991 Volvo 740 turbo....with a 2.5'' manderal bent turbo back exhaust...no cat, custom intake, larger injectors and running the max 15psi that the computer will allow. All that resulted in a touch over 200hp (not bad for an old car with 300k miles on it ) and man was it fun to drive! I just wish the US had gotten the turbo's with manual trans.
I had an '87 740Turbo with a manual transmission. It wasn't that the US didn't get any it was that he dealers didn't believe anyone would want a Volvo sedan with a manual transmission. Mine was that bright red with the black and white checkered interior. 4 speed with the push button overdrive. Downshifting from overdrive put you immediately into 3rd so even coming up out of San Diego's Mission Valley on 805would throw you back in your seat.
Yea, it was so cool but that was my younger days.

jester_s1 07-15-2013 05:30 AM

I'm failing to see what the LHS guys did wrong. They shared an opinion- the Slash is better. Several here have chimed in on why it's better, not all of the "better" being wrapped up in the initial build quality of the truck but rather in parts support and dealer support. If they had said everyone who doesn't buy a Slash is a fool or that nothing else is worth their trouble to sell I could see why you'd complain. But these guys see the vehicles come in and out of the shop all day long. When you work on the other side of the counter, you get a different perspective. It's a value call for sure, but I'd rather pay the extra $70 and have a vehicle that I can get parts for and fix easily instead of having it be out of commission for a month because I'm waiting for parts to arrive from China.

collector1231 07-15-2013 06:03 AM

ORIGINAL: collector1231

parts support on the traxxas is better sure....but out of the box the ecx is better IMO. Why beat down on the new guy about parts support. We know half the reason traxxas has great parts support is that half their stuff uses 90% of the same parts.

ECX got some bad flack early on from the FM radios they came out with. But its all 2.4 now (torment always was)

Ive owned both and never had any more breakage with the torment than the slash. but the torment handled better and just felt more lively.
I haven't owned the ecx 1/8 models, but I don't see why anyone would call the boost/torment/ junk.
IMO, if you are gonna call the torment entry level, then the slash should be called the same. I don't think you will find any truck that is as close to the slash in every way as the torment is. Heck, the driveshafts from the slash can be used in a torment!

I can agree that the lack of aftermarket support hurts the ecx. It can never be built up as a slash can be. In that respect, it is slightly more entry level....its meant to be bought, run as is, have fun with it, ect. But you cant build it into a 80mph speed freak or a 60mph offroad basher. That's not to say it doesn't do just fine with a brushless system. I had the boost with a brushless and it held up like a bandit would.
How does it hold up against a B4.1? Thats another question.

Foxy 07-15-2013 06:46 AM

ORIGINAL: flatpickhippster

HS owners are just trying to stay afloat and that sometimes means the true enthusiaist gets treated like the goober.
And herein lies the problem. If the 'hobby' shop is not looking after the needs of the 'hobbyists', it might as well be selling vaccuum cleaners as far as I'm concerned.

When did people start thinking that a successful business model was what was good for the business and not the customers....

Give it a few years and the same 'hobby' shops will be wondering what went wrong

"Hot dam, I sold Traxxas models all through the difficult years, to thousands of spotty teenagers who I knew had sod all interest in the hobby, because it made my bottom line look good, now I'm closing because the kind of people who buy traxxas either; stay in the hobby but move onto other brands (which I don't stock because they don't pander to my terrible business skills, or my inability to manage my stock needs), or; only wanted traxxas style 50mph instant gratification, after which they sold it on ebay to someone in another state who doesn't buy his parts here. Where's my repeat business yo?"

To which my reply is "you shoulda sold more hobby products to more hobby people and supported them and listened to them and respected their opinions, and, and, and..."

flatpack, you aren't wrong, and really I'm just playing devil's advocate and going for the other extreme, as always, the truth is somewhere in the middle, but really, bottom line, and the first rule you will learn if you get into a really serious multi million dollar corporation, is that you don't criticise the competition, you just do it better, and you always, ALWAYS treat people with respect, colleagues, customers, competitors, hobos, hookers, zombies, everyone.

flatpickhippster 07-15-2013 07:33 AM

To which my reply is "you shoulda sold more hobby products to more hobby people and supported them and listened to them and respected their opinions, and, and, and..."
AGREE, but......

In todays web based businesses with web based pricing (No lease at strip mall, no min wage employee headaches, payroll, Franchise haedaches....etc.) the local HS biz model starts with the beginner and the I want it now, I want it fixed now, my kid is pitching fits, I paid $300 here when I coulda spent $100 at Radio Shack mentality..and , and , and on on on. The wife is buying puzzles....sister wants the bead bracelet kit and sonny boy is trying to convince Dad to buy the $300 Traxxas or whatever......He'll never become that Hobby Person w/o that place to walk in and see a wall of parts and a reason not to go to Wal-Mart.

Hot dam, I sold Traxxas models all through the difficult years, to thousands of spotty teenagers who I knew had sod all interest in the hobby, because it made my bottom line look good, now I'm closing because the kind of people who buy traxxas either; stay in the hobby but move onto other brands (which I don't stock because they don't pander to my terrible business skills, or my inability to manage my stock needs), or; only wanted traxxas style 50mph instant gratification, after which they sold it on ebay to someone in another state who doesn't buy his parts here. Where's my repeat business yo?"
Every year is a difficult year for walk-in store base hobby shops.....local and chains. These web businesses offer Free ahipping and bulk pricing and just about every cost savings associated with a ZERO store front business. Those spotty teenagers ARE his business.....assumptions about business skills of owners and stock management do not support the fact that an owner will do whatever it take to make sales and profits and stay in business. If that means selling TRaxxas to spotty teenagers and speed freaks to stay in business NOW....more power to them and their success.

AND....then there are the KNOW IT ALLs that just like to hang around in store and be a PIA and show off their $2000 Mugen nitro and 150mph Brushless pan car....and and and ...wanna borrow tools...and they buy EVERYTHING online cause they are 1 out of 1000 customers with that roided out pan car, but they wanna come buy and spend $1 on screws and get a free solder job.....etc.

Its a fine line between going out of business as a HOBBY shop and also being able to support the Pro-Am high-end people of RC community.

Then there are the RC Plane peeps!! Yadadadayadada...:-)

Have phun!!

nitrosportsandrunner 07-15-2013 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I'm failing to see what the LHS guys did wrong. They shared an opinion- the Slash is better. Several here have chimed in on why it's better, not all of the ''better'' being wrapped up in the initial build quality of the truck but rather in parts support and dealer support. If they had said everyone who doesn't buy a Slash is a fool or that nothing else is worth their trouble to sell I could see why you'd complain. But these guys see the vehicles come in and out of the shop all day long. When you work on the other side of the counter, you get a different perspective. It's a value call for sure, but I'd rather pay the extra $70 and have a vehicle that I can get parts for and fix easily instead of having it be out of commission for a month because I'm waiting for parts to arrive from China.
there is a difference between sharing one's opinion and stating fact. they way they spoke they were stating fact.
The same people will flat out say that redcats are junk...rather than saying that they are OK for the price. And I know for a fact they they haven't owned a redcat either, but rather based their opinion (which they state as fact) on the word of others.

Foxy, I totally get what you were saying about hobby shops selling what makes "quick" money...rather than doing biz that gets repeat customers.
And traxxas does equal quick money...cause many newbs only know of the traxxas name and as it was mentioned traxxas will lower the overhead cost for hobby shops where other companies may not.

I just feel if I owned a hobby shop (and boy would I love to) that 1) I wouldn't sell/carry a model if I had owned it and felt it was crap and 2)If I shared my opinion of a model I would make sure the person knew that was my opinion. I wouldn't speak it like it was from the Bible.

turok007 07-15-2013 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: turok007

who wants a game that portrays real life? We all do that, its boring. I want a massive open world were I can do all the crazy stuff you cant do in real life.
It looks like it will combine the stuff I liked from GTA4, along with the massive world size and terrain variation that was in Just Cause 2.
The official gamplay videos out do show what the 360 can really do.
Only problem is, I still own a standard def TV! All the games out today I cant read any of the fonts as they are tiny and blurry. kinda ticks me off really. So before I get a new xbox, Ill be buying a HD tv.
i didn't mean it in the sense of the way it portrays real life i meant the way things move on screen is so unrealistic. after all theses years they should of tried a bit harder. some big games nowadays may look good but that's it. i would describe it like someone getting a game from the NES and just changing the graphics using the latest TECH. but leaving everything else alone.

cumquat 07-15-2013 09:20 AM

i too want to own a hobby shop. you would not find one traxxas product on my shelves. i know of plenty of other hobbies that dont get the exposure they should and i'm positive if i carried the right stuff they'd sell well enough to keep the doors open. in my opinion, traxxas is a glorified toy grade company. i mean they are sold at toys r us for crying out loud! pep boys too! one of the local hobby shops has done well without going exclusively traxxas like another local shop did. they have managed by being the only carpet track in the tri-county area AFAIK (it gets real cold in the winter here).

MTK 07-15-2013 10:38 AM

FOXY, you gotta be the LUCKIESTdog around. How did you get such assignment, living in Greece? I want to retire there, next to the water

flatpickhippster 07-15-2013 11:22 AM

i too want to own a hobby shop. you would not find one traxxas product on my shelves.
Bwahahahaha.......you would if carrying Traxxas meant you could also cater to that huge $$$$ source of Mugen. Kyosho, carpet racers....whoever.....that makes a much better product with less than 15% of the market and lil or no walk off the street buyers coming into your store....who BTW if they come to your RC Highend $1000 a car strte are gonna screw you over $1 if they can get from JohnnyJoes RC House in El Sungundo . com.....

Why would you care if they sell their products at 7-11, Pep Boys and Billy Bob Mart?

For every 1 local RC Track Champion there are 10,000 people who just wanna have some fun with sumthing better than a Radio Shack POS...not spend $500-800......be able to upgrade in the hobby....easy access to parts and support.......AND not have to wait weeks for parts .....if you can own a HS and ignore/look down on this customer base and the highly profitable companies like Traxxas and others that support these entry level customers...AND.....float you the products with no $$$ to stock......thats no glorified toy company!! Thats a business partner IMO!!

cumquat 07-15-2013 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: flatpickhippster

i too want to own a hobby shop. you would not find one traxxas product on my shelves.
Bwahahahaha.......you would if carrying Traxxas meant you could also cater to that huge $$$$ source of Mugen. Kyosho, carpet racers....whoever.....that makes a much better product with less than 15% of the market and lil or no walk off the street buyers coming into your store....who BTW if they come to your RC Highend $1000 a car strte are gonna screw you over $1 if they can get from JohnnyJoes RC House in El Sungundo . com.....

Why would you care if they sell their products at 7-11, Pep Boys and Billy Bob Mart?

For every 1 local RC Track Champion there are 10,000 people who just wanna have some fun with sumthing better than a Radio Shack POS...not spend $500-800......be able to upgrade in the hobby....easy access to parts and support.......AND not have to wait weeks for parts .....if you can own a HS and ignore/look down on this customer base and the highly profitable companies like Traxxas and others that support these entry level customers...AND.....float you the products with no $$$ to stock......thats no glorified toy company!! Thats a business partner IMO!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! that's all i could do while reading your post. i said i wouldn't carry traxxas, where did i say i'd only carry the high end stuff? i would carry many lower priced options such as duratrax, ecx, arrma and i'd even be willing to give redcat a chance. i just wouldnt carry the vastly overpriced crap from traxxas (crap is an opinion, overpriced is fact).

why would i care about other stores carrying stuff i specialize in? hmm...

most new comer threads i've seen are looking to spend $300 for everything. you realize most traxxas models exceed that right? thus, your point is moot. furthermore, i wouldnt be relying on rc to pay the bills as most hobby shops seem to do. as i said, i know of several other hobbies that dont have the public exposure that they should and some of them are things you want to try first hand before laying down hundreds, just to make sure they work for you.