RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   How do you find bash spots? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11576860-how-do-you-find-bash-spots.html)

Microz 07-22-2013 01:09 PM

How do you find bash spots?

Hey guys. I was just wondering, how do you find bash spots near you? I may rebuild my ECX circuit for maybe the 4th time because the RC Car bug has bit me again, but it gets OLD REALLY FAST just running up and down your backyard. I have a track, but its kind of far so I can't get there too often. So how do you guys find bash spots?

Zonked 07-22-2013 01:17 PM

RE: How do you find bash spots?

Construction sites are my favorite, usually scope them out first . Always get permission before running .

ejc34710 07-22-2013 01:25 PM

I'm always on the lookout whenever i'm driving around in the real car. Family and friends houses. BMX track.

flatpickhippster 07-22-2013 02:00 PM

I find that the off road bicycle trails offer some great bashing and there is usually a website showing them in your county.

I walk/bike the trails and talk to the riders about jumps/gullies/dips/whoops....etc on the trail that might be fun to bash
They're usually all in once I show'em the RC basher and are happy to point out some good spots..

I once asked the local gravel/dirt/sand supplier if I could rip around on his various big piles of hard pack with my TMAXX and he was cool with it as long as I wore a hard hat and safety glasses. You do wht ya gotta do.

Catching air over the baseball mounds can be fun.

A buddy put up a flyer at the Motorcycle Dealer in the Dirt Bike section inquiring about home made/backyard tracks that we could bash on the big stuf. JACKPOT......dirtbikers are into RC bashing too.

Good Luck

collector1231 07-22-2013 02:59 PM

I look to the left of my house. Its an undeveloped neighborhood, so I've got many places to bash.

Microz 07-22-2013 03:31 PM

Thanks guys! I'm going to turn the question around a bit...this is my 4th time of getting bitten by the RC car bug, and I always get out of it because I become bored out of my mind. I fly RC planes, so its not like I don't enjoy RC. Its just the cars get me bored after awhile. Maybe its the type of car I'm trying? So far I've only tried bashers/speed demons. I'm now thinking of maybe trying out a scaler/crawler. Maybe that would hold my interest better? Anyone out there with a scaler who has tried bashing/speed and have an opinion on this? Also, anyone know of the cheapest way to get into that? Most scalers I see cost hundreds of dollars!<div></div><div>
Again, sorry about the flip of topic. Not sure if I'm allowed to post another thread in such a short amount of time.</div>

SyCo_VeNoM 07-22-2013 03:47 PM

Well to me I find speed demons do get boring quite fast. Once I get it going fast I usually end up ok now what do I do to it.

As for ashing if doing it alone I find it can be mind numbingly boring. I probably would have way more run time on my RC's if there was a track located nearby(talking within a 30-40 min drive, the tracks I know of close to me are all like 2 hours away), and would love one open during the day.

Scalers are nice, but are not made for high speed, and things like the SCX10 IMO do best with a 35t or so brushed motor. One nice thing about scalers though is due to their slower speeds they can run in places most other RC's would clear in a split second. THey can also usually climb up, and over things that vehicles like buggies would get stuck on.

collector1231 07-22-2013 04:57 PM

I'd get a racer. The OFNA Nexx10SC is only 99 at ofnawarehouse.com

nitrosportsandrunner 07-22-2013 04:58 PM

for me it takes some work. sure the local skate park is fun....but rough on the trucks. There is a sand pit, but its gated off at the road....which means walking in 1/4 mile. There is a gravel yard with some decent dirt piles that's not far. Basically, I go to the local parks and such.
Ive been wishing the town would build a bmx park. Technically they did....but on the side of a hill with trees all over the place! A bmx park should start with flat ground where you make the track/jumps. But the people in charge of the Rec dept's money are morons. The skate park took a ton of work for people to make it happen...yet its the most pathetic looking one you will ever see.
There isn't a lot of be construction sites around either.

Ive been keeping an eye out for any flat ground that looks unused that I could throw some wooden jumps onto for a temp track. no luck thus far tho.

Microz 07-22-2013 06:38 PM

Syco_Venom - Thanks! Yeah thats one of the appeals to me for the scalers...the ability to go anywhere the others cant.<div>
</div><div>Collector1231 - Whoa thats a good price! Thats a reliable site though yes?</div><div>
</div><div>Nitrosportsandrunner - Thanks. I've thought of local parks, but I'm not sure if people would appreciate that...the parks around here get crowded. Plus, theres not many dirt lots, skate parks, BMX tracks, etc. :( School fields are good for flying my micro planes, but not so good for rc cars since they are all just grass...and I can find grass in my backyard!</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Any other opinions?</div>

nitrosportsandrunner 07-22-2013 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Microz

Syco_Venom - Thanks! Yeah thats one of the appeals to me for the scalers...the ability to go anywhere the others cant.<div>
</div><div>Collector1231 - Whoa thats a good price! Thats a reliable site though yes?</div><div>
</div><div>Nitrosportsandrunner - Thanks. I've thought of local parks, but I'm not sure if people would appreciate that...the parks around here get crowded. Plus, theres not many dirt lots, skate parks, BMX tracks, etc. :( School fields are good for flying my micro planes, but not so good for rc cars since they are all just grass...and I can find grass in my backyard!</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Any other opinions?</div>
I drive my SCT at the park often. The kids chase after it. parents don't seem to mind as it helps wear the kids out. Just make sure not to hit someone...lol.

I get a kick out of all the people who assume my brushless sc10 is a nitro. I tell them I wouldn't drive a nitro at a park or anyplace with a lot of people as they are too loud, smoke and would hurt a lot more if I hit someone.

Microz 07-22-2013 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Microz

Syco_Venom - Thanks! Yeah thats one of the appeals to me for the scalers...the ability to go anywhere the others cant.<div></div><div>Collector1231 - Whoa thats a good price! Thats a reliable site though yes?</div><div></div><div>Nitrosportsandrunner - Thanks. I've thought of local parks, but I'm not sure if people would appreciate that...the parks around here get crowded. Plus, theres not many dirt lots, skate parks, BMX tracks, etc. :( School fields are good for flying my micro planes, but not so good for rc cars since they are all just grass...and I can find grass in my backyard!</div><div></div><div></div><div>Any other opinions?</div>
I drive my SCT at the park often. The kids chase after it. parents don't seem to mind as it helps wear the kids out. Just make sure not to hit someone...lol.

I get a kick out of all the people who assume my brushless sc10 is a nitro. I tell them I wouldn't drive a nitro at a park or anyplace with a lot of people as they are too loud, smoke and would hurt a lot more if I hit someone.

Lol thats the part that annoys me...the kids. :D I feel like if I accidentally hit them, or if they fall while chasing the car or something, then BAM there comes a lawsuit. Then if they break my car...well then they just walk away and brush it off. Or maybe the people around here just have an attitude issue.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

I used to get the question "Is it gas?" when I used to run my brushless boost in the front yard. :D
<br type="_moz" />

Nitro Fumes 07-24-2013 07:32 AM

Try using satellite technology and use Google Earth or Yahoo Maps or something like that.

Microz 07-24-2013 08:38 AM

Yeah I tried that, but I can't really tell what is grass and what is dirt. Plus, the pictures are pretty outdated for my area. :(

Microz 08-02-2013 05:28 AM

When did RCU start having spam?

suburban_hooligan 08-08-2013 06:08 PM

google earth.
cruise around on my bike seeing what i can get into.
hit bike trails (even the paved cycling trails) usually have good spots off to the side out of the way.
hit up BMX'ers and mountain bikers. find out where the out of the way off the beaten path jumps and trails are.
iv found a few good spots by going through holes in fences and getting into places i really shouldn't. that's how i found this place
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/.../P71700442.jpg
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/.../P71700422.jpg
no joke, riding my bike on the riverbed trail, looked up saw a hole in a chin link fence, climbed about a 10foot tall rock wall, went through the hole in the fence. boo ya bashers paradise!

Microz 08-09-2013 06:56 PM

Whoa that is awesome!!!! I'll try and talk to some mountain bikers. I'll also hit up the bike trails...theres a few around here. Thanks!

Zonked 08-10-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan (Post 11586507)
google earth.
hit bike trails (even the paved cycling trails) usually have good spots off to the side out of the way.
hit up BMX'ers and mountain bikers. find out where the out of the way off the beaten path jumps and trails are.
iv found a few good spots by going through holes in fences and getting into places i really shouldn't. that's how i found this place
no joke, riding my bike on the riverbed trail, looked up saw a hole in a chin link fence, climbed about a 10foot tall rock wall, went through the hole in the fence. boo ya bashers paradise!

Wow what a find :cool: that looks like a great place for some fun.

butt_housed247 08-10-2013 05:13 PM

iv been a skateboarder my whole life so iv got an eye for things to skate. if you can skate it you can typically RC it. my RC typically rattles around in the back of my truck so it's usually with me. i run it out back on the loading docks where i work. i run it at the beach a lot. it's gone camping with me a few times. any time i go to a park, lake or river i just take it with me.

when i lived with my bro and his wife i would run it out in front of the house. once that got kind of boring i built a ramp. sense moving out i rip my truck all over the apartment complex.

everything is a blank canvas. it's up to you to paint the picture

goodatthis 08-11-2013 06:17 PM

I like to look on google maps for areas to bash, I'm a runner and RC enthusiast so I'm always looking for cool technical trails to run on and bashing spots, so they go hand in hand pretty well if you ask me. Also ask anyone that goes ATVing or mountain biking, wherever they are you should be. Most ATV dirt jumps will handle RC cars quite nicely, just because ATVs are so heavy and the speeds are close to each other, so boom, same air.

james101291 05-22-2016 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan (Post 11586507)
google earth.

Do you know the address of this place? i live in South California, EL MONTE.

suburban_hooligan 05-23-2016 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by james101291 (Post 12216628)
Do you know the address of this place? i live in South California, EL MONTE.

not sure if it's in long beach or seal beach. but it's off the san gabriel river bike trail between 7th street and college park drive and is only accessible from the bike trail.
the bike trail goes down under college park drive and 7th street. you have to stop at the bottom, climb the rock wall and go through a hole in the fence.

now for the disclaimer:
pretty sure being in there is considered trespassing. there are or have been some crazy homeless people and coyote's in the area. i haven't been there in a good 3 maybe 4 years and don't know if it's still intact and usable or even accessible anymore (it does still show up on google earth). so check it out at your own risk.