RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   looking for good nitro rc (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11599588-looking-good-nitro-rc.html)

rc fanatic 123 05-27-2014 06:42 PM

looking for good nitro rc

Hey ive been in the hobby for three years now and had many electric trucks, I want to get into nitro I had one truck which was a redcat earthquake 3.5 which didnt last very long. Trying to find a good reliable rc, max I want to spent is 250 since it will be pretty much my first nitro. Any replys would be great thanks

SyCo_VeNoM 05-27-2014 06:46 PM

$300ish is minimum I would spend, and that would be on an ofna hyper 7($320), or a LX2($285) anything under that from my experiences, and you are asking for trouble.

rc fanatic 123 05-27-2014 07:05 PM

It doesnt have to be brand new and I just want to bash with it. Looking for something reliable, and durable

SyCo_VeNoM 05-27-2014 07:17 PM

Extreme wise words from someone that has done it do not buy Nitro used unless you plan on buying a new engine with the vehicle. Seriously I've bought about 5 or 7 used nitros(seriously I've bought quite a few) every single one was listed as runs great... Runs great translates to engine needs replacing as its been ran into the ground by someone that had no idea what they were doing along with who knows what else.

Example I bought a Savage X the thing had 5 tanks on the engine I do not doubt this as to how the shape the Savage was in as it had only a few extremely light scuffs(I put more in it on my 2nd run), but in this the engine was damaged to the point it needed a new piston, and sleeve as it was ran so lean for its 5 tanks the sleeve was scored, and the piston burnt(and was rusted, and gummed up too cause he shipped it with fuel...). I paid around $200 for it IMO this was a good deal anyways as after an engine($150) I was still about $60-100 under a NIB one, and it had quite a few upgrades thrown on that I wanted anyways which would have cost me $150 alone(hell it had what at the time was a $60 servo put on) ;), but I bought it knowing completely well it would more then likely need a new engine.

Basically if buying used plan to spend cash on a new engine right from the get go, and who knows what else might need work. I've bought many a used RC's, and honestly most of them were run into the ground but sold as great shape...

phmaximus 05-28-2014 04:13 AM

Can agree more with syco.....

second hand nitro's are very touch and go, there are some good ones but the majority are wrecks.

Same old story, they didn't know how to run it and and tune it, so they never did. Then they wonder why it won't hold tune, and has starting and hot running issues... Then they give up and sell there nearly brand new car with a motor that's been ruined within only a few tanks...

or or ur get the guys that think they know what they are doing and tune it for max power not releasing a nitro motor needs to be slightly rich for lubrication. Then the motor turns into a ticking time bomb, that will either snap a rod or wear out until it has no compression when hot.

just keep in mind nitro engine do have a learning curve. If u have someone to teach u the basics it can be less costly but self learning by mistakes can get expensive...
The hardest parts to learn is what should the engine sound like and how should the exhaust smoke look.
its like riding a bike, it can take a while to learn but u never forget.
Also for learning purposes it would be better to get something brand new so u know u have a solid starting point.

rc fanatic 123 05-28-2014 09:09 AM

Thank you for the info i wont be getting a used truck, but i cant spend more than 250 so what should I do

Large Larry 05-28-2014 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by rc fanatic 123 (Post 11812825)
Thank you for the info i wont be getting a used truck, but i cant spend more than 250 so what should I do

Save up a little more. There's also the cost of fuel and glow plugs to consider so it's best to have some money left over rather than *****g out your budget on the car alone.

Not sure how the shortened version of the word maximum with 'ing' added is swearing. The things you learn...

rc fanatic 123 05-28-2014 12:58 PM

Is the hpi mt2 any good if so then I will be getting it

rc fanatic 123 05-28-2014 01:00 PM

I already have all the stuff to get it started (glow starter, fuel) so I dont need that I just want a nice truck

ReMiXeDg 05-28-2014 02:52 PM

if your coming from electric to nitro dont do it, in the end you'll hate nitro because of many factors. I would rather invest that $200 into more upgrades or a roller for a electric build...

also don't buy nitro used unless you really know the seller and know that he did not abuse nor touchpaper that engine. most times when someone sells a nitro car its beacause something is majorly wrong with the engine that they can not fix.

its best to buy new so you can break it in .

SyCo_VeNoM 05-28-2014 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rc fanatic 123 (Post 11812981)
Is the hpi mt2 any good if so then I will be getting it

I would pass on that I own 2 of them lol
They were my 1st nitro RCs(well hobby grade RC's period), and honestly are not that good they have heaps of issues. Small list of what needs to be done aluminum knuckles as the stock ones will lose the screws in 2 runs(and the screw is like $1 as its not a standard screw size...), Dogbones pop out of cups extremely easy(no solution except paint them with neon paints, and hope you find em), A-arms are made of a weak plastic(again no options), ball ends strip out easy (buy RPM rod ends...), radio tray is a pain to work with(its small), and its discontinued so parts support will be limited.
After I got my 1/8th buggy I NEVER used the MT2s again (well I stripped them for parts) as the buggy can do everything the MT2 can do, and not suck doing it.

Trust me like the other guy said if $250 is your max save up for a better RC as what you save now you will be spending 10X more later on parts

rc fanatic 123 05-28-2014 04:25 PM

If I did save a little more, lets say 350, what would be some options. It has to be able to handle tall grall and also be able to take alot of abuse. It can also be an electric rc.

rc fanatic 123 05-28-2014 04:50 PM

Also ive never bought a used electric rc they were all bought new, would that be better than used nitro or is that the same

SyCo_VeNoM 05-28-2014 05:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
for new nitro I'd say Hyper 7 TQ black as those can take some abuse, and 1/8th scale buggies height, and size are the same as the MT2 you mentioned
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1999451http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1999452
Old pick I use for comparison next to my Jammin X1x CR Those were Mashers I believe n the MT2 also where the stock ones were lower. Only use that pic as 1/8th scale buggies are all the same physical size(due to race limitations)
Depending on grass height, and stiffness (I'd say about .5-1 inch) it could go through. After that not many RC's will run (well maybe a Savage would have little issues)

As for electric... those can be hit or miss I've bought a few I bought a used Stampede turns out it was missing parts that were unable to be seen as he just slapped the tires on any old way to make it look nice. Bought a slash 4X4 the back plate that holds the rear arms on was cracked in half, and glued together poorly... Didn't show up in the pic It also needed a few other parts that guy broke, and just CA glued together to make it look like it was in running condition.
Other then those 2 the rest were bought new cause I usually got killer deals on em from model closeouts. Hell I netted a $350 RTR for $100 last year(Vaterra Kalahari) :D Or when I was buying crt .5's for $85 each or my SCRT10 I got for $100 shipped NIB ;)

rc fanatic 123 05-28-2014 06:14 PM

Thank u guys for all the help think im gonna save up and get eithier the lx2 or hyper 7, might even get the ss version

rc fanatic 123 05-28-2014 06:22 PM

Also I cant seem to find any in stock any suggested sites that might still have then

SyCo_VeNoM 05-28-2014 06:37 PM

seems on back order from the places I usually shop from. Towerhobbies says mid Jun for restock. This is kinda the season they sell alot of them so its probably why.

Hell my buggy it took the place 3 months to get stock that I ordered from a few years back lol

nitroexpress 05-28-2014 08:39 PM

I think people have to keep in mind that the OP had a Earthquake 3.5 Truck. 1/8 scale with large tires. He wants to bash in grass and etc. Doubt a buggy will cut it for him.

phmaximus 05-28-2014 11:20 PM

The word grass is very subjective.

peoples diffination on grass and experance can be very different from country to country.

all I can say from experance, a hyper 7 is fine on maintained kikuyu grass like what's commonly found at parks and school grounds in Australia.

phmaximus 05-28-2014 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by nitroexpress (Post 11813228)
I think people have to keep in mind that the OP had a Earthquake 3.5 Truck. 1/8 scale with large tires. He wants to bash in grass and etc. Doubt a buggy will cut it for him.

Its hard to say.... I was under impression the redcat died from durability issues not associated with running on grass. And durability wise u can't beat a hyper 7. As the Ofna Hyper is infact a HoBao rebadged for the US market... And IMO HoBao are one of the best manifactures out

but then again I noticed the OP said "tall grass" so ignore me lol

phmaximus 05-28-2014 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by rc fanatic 123 (Post 11813105)
If I did save a little more, lets say 350, what would be some options. It has to be able to handle tall grall and also be able to take alot of abuse. It can also be an electric rc.

Hummm... I'm thinking u either need a 1/10 or 1/8 Truggy or monster truck for running in tall grass... So budget wise u might be only able to squeeze something 1/10........or a 1/8 buggy... Just keep in mind the 1/8 buggy has smaller wheels that a 1/10 mt, Truggy or stadium truck. They are about the same size as a 1/10 SCT wheel.

one I can think of, but I don't know if u can get it but the hyper TT's are great value or a tamiya levant.... But I'm sure some of the other guys might know of some newer stuff

rc fanatic 123 05-29-2014 11:08 AM

Ive owned a couple of monster trucks, and I think its time for a change ive only owned one buggy which was an associated rc18b2 with a castle micro mamba pro and I loved it. The trucks are starting to get boring and I want a buggy. I also really want a nitro im probably gonna go with the lx2 when it gets back in stock. U guys have been really helpful thanks for all the suggestions

ForkedTailDevil 05-29-2014 12:37 PM

Well, I went the other way. Bought a Nitro Traxxas Rustler, used it on our short course track, and everyone talked me into a slash. So if your interested I was going to put it on here for sale this weekend. Has the run time on the motor for break in as recommended by Traxxas, then around 3 tanks on the track. Upgraded the receiver bats to NIHM, other than that stock.

Bubs

rc fanatic 123 05-29-2014 12:46 PM

How much u askin for it

rc fanatic 123 05-29-2014 12:49 PM

Well as syco previously stated I dont think it would be a good idea to buy used nitro, not that I dont trust u but since I cannot physically inspect the rc I dont know the condition therefore I dont feel comfortable buying from someone ive never met