RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   esc help! New to the hobby and the site (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11599687-esc-help-new-hobby-site.html)

supa truck 05-29-2014 08:12 PM

esc help! New to the hobby and the site

Hi guys! I just got a 600 Johnson(19t) brushed motor and a brushed WP 1040 esc. I got these to beef up my Volcano epx 4x4, so it would go faster and be lipo 3s compatible (and they appeared cheaper than going brushless). The problem is that by running these with just a 7.2v nimh 5000ma batt. the esc and the motor get way too hot. Also, the esc worked fine at first, then reverse seemed very weak, then reverse went out all together. It still goes forward just fine. Any ideas what's going on here? Any suggestions for a good, cheap, brushed esc that will work well with the 600 Johnson (19T) motor, and allow the use of lipo?

SyCo_VeNoM 05-29-2014 08:35 PM

ESC is toasted if reverse died out its happened to me before on a brushed motor when I put too low of a turn motor on a vehicle geared to high(in my case I was converting a RC, and did it as a test).

Honestly what your goal is, and what you are buying are incompatible.

Brushed motors for one will not last on 3S so your setup would not be 3S compatible unless you wanted to roast some marshmallows when it burst into flames.

That trucks tires are big I'm guessing you didn't change your pinion size to a smaller pinion when you changed the motor to a lower turn.

27t to 19t is a huge jump, and honestly looking at that RC online I doubt is feasible.

Personally I'd just get a brushless setup, and if you are gunning for 3S maybe a motor in the lower 3000kv range. Funny thing after I typed that line I looked at the BL version of the truck, and they use a 3300kv motor in it. I would recommend a 60A HW combo, but there is no 3000kv 60A combos, and the place I usually order the stuff from seems to be out of stock on pretty much every friggin 60A 3000-3300kv motor... :(

supa truck 05-29-2014 09:22 PM

Thanks for the reply syco. I'm a total newb here, but, I was under the impression that my original motor was a 550 (12T). Given the deal I got on the motor, I thought it a fantastic upgrade. It's a lot faster atm. I did go from a 17 tooth pinion to a 23 tooth pinion gear as well. I really don't care if I can use a 3s (it was just an example) I did want to be able to use more voltage for more speed tho. I'm trying to keep things cheap. I'm not considering racing or anything. Just messing around with the hobby, trying to build a solid, fast 4x4.

SyCo_VeNoM 05-30-2014 08:32 AM

yea its goofy
Like I said I've smoked an ESC or 2 specially when I 1st started in the electric side.
It gets really goofy when going to a different can size as turns change.

Stock in the vehicle you own is a 27t 540 motor. Other issue is longer motors pull more current looked up that ESC (assuming its the Hobby wing brushed one which I never even knew existed) its only rated for a 540, and 550 motor as its kinda weak burst current. For that motor you would probably need a more powerful ESC which honestly in the end BL would probably not cost much more.

supa truck 05-30-2014 02:28 PM

Thanks again SyCo. You're right about going brushless vs. the price of a better esc. I just ordered a 550 BL motor with a 60a esc. Now, I just have to figure out a good gear ratio that won't burn out the BL motor and esc... It came stock with a 17t pinion and a 64t spur. I have bought a 19t, 23t pinion and a 58t spur (the pitch is fine, the new pinions and spurs are Redcat and supposedly made for the vehicle in question.) The environment is lawn grass, field grass, gravel, and dirt (a farm).

nitrosportsandrunner 05-30-2014 03:17 PM

you went the wrong way with gearing...you geared up, should have geared down. when changing to a lower turn motor (which will turn higher rpms but have less torque) you have to gear down.
If you had used the stock gearing, you might have been ok and the ESC/motor might not have run to hot.

But I assume you used the larger pinion gear because the larger motor could not sit close enough to the spur gear? And I right?

the brushless version uses a 3300kv motor. I don't have the time, but if you look it up on redcat's site you should be able to find what size the pinion gear is for that motor. Then, if your motor is higher or lower kv you can adjust to compensate (if higher kv, use a slightly smaller pinion, if a lower kv then slightly larger kv)

and do not feel bad....in my early days I fried a few motors and speed controls trying either to run to much voltage or to tall of a gear ratio!