RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Engine Trouble (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11639045-engine-trouble.html)

Jonas4sberg 05-18-2017 11:47 AM

Engine Trouble

A few years ago my dad got me a Volcano S30 (SH .18 Engine) as a present, and I just finished breaking it in when one of the controller arms broke. So it sat inside for a year or so until i picked it up again, and fixed it. The engine was a little tricky to get running, but i can get to run, problem is when I go full throttle. I can roll through the throttle up to about half and then any further and it just kinda cuts and dies. When I hit about 1/8th throttle it gives off a trail of a good trail of smoke so I dont think its too lean. Past 1/2 throttle it jusy kinda gives one last puff of smoke and the engine cuts. I tried tuning it leaner with HSP needle slowly and the problem just slowly gets worse as i lean it, cutting at a lower rpm. And going any richer it just doesnt want to idle properly and will die and then wont start until I lean the HSP needle but to where it was. Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks! FYI I have new gas and a new glow plug. (Sorry if this the wrong cars subform to post this on, im new on this site.)

F4 Phantom blue angles 05-18-2017 12:23 PM

Check your plug,It might be the problem.Or,maybe you should find out what kind of fuel it calls for. Such a small engine,you might be running to much oil in your mix,and not enough nitro,or just plain methenol. One last thing,Check the ports where the fuel enters the combustion chamber. I really think you have a problem with your oil mix. I might be wrong,but I thought I would just mention it.

Jonas4sberg 05-18-2017 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles (Post 12337443)
Check your plug,It might be the problem.Or,maybe you should find out what kind of fuel it calls for. Such a small engine,you might be running to much oil in your mix,and not enough nitro,or just plain methenol. One last thing,Check the ports where the fuel enters the combustion chamber. I really think you have a problem with your oil mix. I might be wrong,but I thought I would just mention it.

Im using the recommended 20% nitro fuel with 9% oil, and I tried some of my friends 20% nitro and 16% and there was no noticable change. Earlier today I got frustrated and tore the whole car apart and cleaned it spotless and then put it all back together to find it still runs the same afterwards. Also I bought a new plug from redcat this time, ill get it tomorrow and hopefully thats it.

F4 Phantom blue angles 05-19-2017 11:30 AM

A two stroke is a simple engine,no matter what the size. You need fuel,air,and spark. If not an oil problem,make shure your high speed port is clean. These holes are extremely small. Use a fine peice of wire to clean out. You might have a defective needle valve. It might no be closeing all the way. I would have to have it here to figure it out. Check all your gaskets. Let me know how it goes.

Lucky

F4 Phantom blue angles 05-19-2017 12:10 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention, If this is used on a plane,Maybe your prop is to big,causing your engine to work to hard. Get back to me,I'm curious about this.

Jonas4sberg 05-19-2017 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles (Post 12337694)
A two stroke is a simple engine,no matter what the size. You need fuel,air,and spark. If not an oil problem,make shure your high speed port is clean. These holes are extremely small. Use a fine peice of wire to clean out. You might have a defective needle valve. It might no be closeing all the way. I would have to have it here to figure it out. Check all your gaskets. Let me know how it goes.
Lucky

Well like i said above i tore the whole thing apart earlier, even the engine, it was clean as a whistle, wasnt even visible carbon yet. I put on the new glow plug i got and it instantly seemed to idle better, but it seemed to be spitting out a lot less smoke so I began making the HSP needle richer, and the richer i got the more throttle I could guve it until i can now give it full throttle even when its a little cold and ot doesnt even bog down. Guess it wasnt burning all the fuel cuz of the glow plug. Runs perfect now! Thanks yall!

F4 Phantom blue angles 05-20-2017 11:23 AM

Your welcome!