RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Electric car beaks too soft! Help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11641643-electric-car-beaks-too-soft-help.html)

Bob Corey 09-13-2017 12:34 PM

Electric car beaks too soft! Help

I got the HPI Sprint 2 Sport and I immediatelly noticed that the breaks is very very soft. I'm used to the thunder tiger's nitro super breaking so I'm want to adjust them. How do I do that? Thank you

seedygreenute 09-13-2017 04:40 PM

There are 2 types of braking on electric cars .
Drag Brake - when you let off the throttle ( in neutral ) how quickly the car stops .
Brake / Brake Force - when you push the throttle forward .
Both should be adjustable in the ESC settings .
What ESC do you have ?

Bob Corey 09-13-2017 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by seedygreenute (Post 12367617)
What ESC do you have ?

Everything is stock on it: SC-3sWP2. I run a test run with more speed and the breaks seemed to stop fine with these super drifty tires but it's like ABS or something, you can't block the wheels. Can I adjust this for more break? I also found very annoying the fact that there's a gap on the steering system and when you hit a small rock the car might start turning...Should I start another thread for this? I found a video about replacing the front ball cups but I think there's a gap on this part too (Attachment 2231888) I don't know it's name.

RustyUs 09-14-2017 02:21 AM

Brakes and breaks. You don't want your RC to break, but you do want your RC to have brakes to stop it.:cool:

RustyUs 09-14-2017 02:26 AM

That SC-3SWP2 ESC doesn't have any brake adjustment. The only other thing to check is if your transmitter has any throttle EPA adjustment knobs/settings. Make sure the brake/reverse throttle EPA (if there is knob/setting) is set to 100%.

seedygreenute 09-14-2017 08:15 AM

After reading the manual I also found no adjustments for brakes !
The plug is in the right spot for brakes ?
You should be able to tighten that servo saver ( put more pressure on the spring ) .

Bob Corey 09-14-2017 02:18 PM

With these tires I think I don't need more braking, I searched the manual a lot but I didn't find anything that could tighten up the breaks.
For the steering gap I did the mod of the Youtube video: "Hpi sprint 2 drift steering gap solve", it helped a little.
Now the problem is that the stock ball ends (ball cups) are not 100% tight and one by one they make the front wheels unstable...Which ones are the tightest ball cups? I saw there are metal ones with the ball pre-inserted in the cup and other normal plastic ones...

RustyUs 09-14-2017 02:56 PM

RPM is normally the go to company for my rod ends. You just gotta be sure of thread size as well as ball stud size. Lunsford has great rod ends as well.

Bob Corey 09-16-2017 04:45 PM

To have harder braking I should use another ESC? Better motors break better?

RustyUs 09-17-2017 05:02 AM

If you want adjustability of braking, I'd look into an ESC that is programmable.

Now you have me thinking about the brushed ESC in my stadium truck. It's, more or less, the same as your HPI. If you look at specs, you will see, a lot of times on brushed ESCs, the brake/reverse current is half of the forward current. Does that equate to 50% braking power available to motor? I don't know. I of course run on a dirt track, and rarely have need for full force brakes. My brushless ESCs are only set to 50% brake force on all of my 2wd/4wd RCs, and that is too much most of the time. My 4wd RCs will almost always lock up all four tires, and front end flipping will occur when traction is available.