RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Looking to get some (cheap) RC cars for Rocket League "irl" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11641898-looking-get-some-cheap-rc-cars-rocket-league-irl.html)

lollkoll 09-24-2017 12:07 AM

Looking to get some (cheap) RC cars for Rocket League "irl"

Any suggestions?

I get that hobby grade RC cars are going to be $100 or more, but I'm not looking to drain my bank account over getting two RC cars to hit a ball around with.

So far I've been looking at the WLToys l939, but I'm looking for more ideas under $50, and am hoping that you guys might have seen something in the lower end RC world that is up for the task.

Battery life is a concern, so either having good batteries or standardized batteries that I can purchase a bunch of would be preferred. Also there will be quite a few collisions during activities, and while cosmetic issues are fine, I would prefer to not have the car break down all the time...

I know I'm asking for something that most people can only dream of, but I'm hoping someone here might have suggestions.

suburban_hooligan 09-24-2017 03:26 PM

what scale do you need? if you can get away with 1/18 scale the Dromida's aren't bad. and you can usually get them from Tower Hobbies scratch and dent for less than $100 per car. keep an eye on it and you can buy 3, get 2 running and have a parts car for less than $200

lollkoll 09-24-2017 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan (Post 12370454)
what scale do you need? if you can get away with 1/18 scale the Dromida's aren't bad. and you can usually get them from Tower Hobbies scratch and dent for less than $100 per car. keep an eye on it and you can buy 3, get 2 running and have a parts car for less than $200

Doesn't need to be that big; 6 inches for the car (about 1:24-1:28?) would be fine.

suburban_hooligan 09-24-2017 05:56 PM

the Dromida's are about 11 inches bumper to bumper. if something ruffly half that size would work Team Associated has the SC28 that i think is about 6 inches bumper to bumper. it's 1/28 scale. they're only like $50. just not sure about run time with those.

JammEr21 09-17-2020 10:13 AM

I'm sorry for posting here but I'm looking forward to buying a rc car, my maximum price is 70$ and I don't know what should I buy, can you help me out?

JammEr21 09-25-2020 10:17 AM

Can you answer me?

suburban_hooligan 09-25-2020 04:09 PM

70 wont get you much in the hobby grade world. the only one's i can name are the TR28, SC28, RC28T, RC28, and MT28 from Team Associated. they're small, 1/28 scale (about 6 inches long) and are mint mainly for indoor use.

1QwkSport2.5r 09-27-2020 05:38 AM

What’s with folks wanting a cheap ass RC Car that that has premium batteries, durable as granite, and as cheap as a chinese face mask? :rolleyes:

suburban_hooligan 09-27-2020 09:08 AM

it's always been like that. about twice a year (Christmas and usually summer) forums used to get bombarded with idiots wanting a 100mph anvil, but they only have between $60 and $120. those threads would turn into 2 or 3 page arguments and we would never hear from the thread starter again.

JammEr21 09-27-2020 09:12 AM

Hey, lollkoll. I think that WLToys I939 might be a great variant for you, you can purchase it. If I were you I would try to find a car which is looking similar to the cars in Rocket League because they are looking beautiful. When I was looking forward to buying an RC car I remembered about Rocket League and I used Google in order to find something about it, but I didn't manage to find something. My friend said that he can help me out and even said that I can choose how my car should look. I used the Internet and found out this rl trading site it helped me to understand what kind of items do I want to see in my car, you can try it.

1QwkSport2.5r 09-28-2020 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan (Post 12634871)
it's always been like that. about twice a year (Christmas and usually summer) forums used to get bombarded with idiots wanting a 100mph anvil, but they only have between $60 and $120. those threads would turn into 2 or 3 page arguments and we would never hear from the thread starter again.

Maybe I’m just paying more attention nowadays. :D. The “I want it fast, durable as steel, best quality, and cheap as dirt” idea is pretty far out considering how people are generally more “in the know” these days. :rolleyes: I guess ignorance is still bliss.

suburban_hooligan 09-28-2020 04:14 PM

people just think they're in the know. RC noobs are just as dumb as ever. in fact in some ways they're even dumber than they used to be. noobs used to have to build a kit, or read a manual, attach something or maybe plug something in. not so much today. hobby grade has turned into recreational grade, and no one has any mechanical skills. so there's that.

in other news this thread just went from questionably plausible, to full on bot!

1QwkSport2.5r 10-03-2020 04:06 AM

Well, at least we’re legit. I don’t think there’s a robot dumb enough to spout off the crap that I do. :D

I am a diehard nitro guy anyway, so anything I say in regard to anything electric powered should be viewed as complete rubbish. ;):)

YMMV

by the way - I love your tag line. My favorite games were Contra and Final Fantasy.