RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   New to RC car (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11660389-new-rc-car.html)

Mitchjenn07 02-06-2019 04:20 PM

New to RC car

I am very new to RC hobby. I bought a Traxxas rustler 4x4. I have been messing with gearing as a start. I went from a 11 T pi onion gear to a 13T and got a 4mph increase. I then put on an 18T pinion gear and it went down .3 mph. The road was a little wet but I’m not sure if it was that. Any opinions?

seedygreenute 02-06-2019 09:01 PM

What are you using to measure the speed ?
If you are spinning your wheels on a wet road you wont go as fast .
It also takes longer to get to top speed so you might have just run out of road .
11T to 18T seems like a pretty big jump , do you have a temp gun ?

Mitchjenn07 02-07-2019 03:30 AM

Thanks for ur reply

i am using an IOS app on phone under body. Made multiple passes seems pretty constant.

i have the Traxxas titan 12T motor. Would like to upgrade but not ready to spend 200 on the brushless motor just yet since I am still new.

I did did not hear or see it slipping but I imagine it could have been.

i have a temp gun but only ran 3 passes with the 18T pinion to try not to blow up motor.

Im just thinking that a motor can only hold a certain gearing. I would think that at some point going with a bigger pinion gear would show it down.

the spur gear is stock 54T

bill_delong 02-07-2019 05:48 PM

What gearing for upgraded electronics?

Decent combos can be found for as low as $40, this combo here can run up to 3S if you want to hit speeds in the 75mph+ range, keep in mind this motor has a 5mm shaft and will require different pinions:

GoolRC Waterproof 3660 3300KV Brushless Motor w/ 60A ESC Combo Set M5N7

seedygreenute 02-08-2019 01:49 AM

GPS can sometimes take a little bit to update its position . If you dont stay at full throttle for very long , it could give a slower speed reading .
As a first motor upgrade , Bills link seems Ok . Its a full size motor , not like some of the cheap finned ones ( smaller motor in a big case ) .
You can spend much more on motor combos but being new , I think something like this would be fine .
Another option would be the Traxxas VXL esc and motor . There seemed to be a lot of guys ( on another forum ) who are putting 1/8 scale combos in these . So there should be plenty of them on ebay .

bill_delong 02-08-2019 05:38 AM

I would stay away from the VXL, it's a 3650 sized can with a 2 pole magnet which won't offer near the torque/acceleration that the 4 pole 3660 sized motor I linked. If you locked the center slipper then you would be able to do an infinite wheelie with the motor that I linked, as well as standing back flips with large enough wheels.

I would not recommend going any larger than a 3660 motor, while you can fit a 3674 motor, you'll risk tearing up the drive line at that point... Traxxas is not known for durability unfortunately :(

seedygreenute 02-08-2019 01:55 PM

The newer ones are 4 pole .
To tell the difference - there are 3 visible capacitors on the ESC and the motor wires have a braided cover near the end cap .
Dont get a 2 pole version !
The guys putting BIG systems in them are spending up on upgrades ( and probably breakages ) too .
Running 2S and Brushless it will be quick and should last . On 3S it will scream but parts wear faster and you crash harder !

bill_delong 02-08-2019 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't realize that the newer VXL's switched to 4 Poles, that can be confusing, apparently they use the same part number too but with an R on the end, spending $250 on the Attachment 2263386 system is absolutely insane to me :(