RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   how long is your antenna wire? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/1619159-how-long-your-antenna-wire.html)

ICrashThings 03-12-2004 08:58 PM

how long is your antenna wire?

i got 18 inches on my truck now, i could go to 20, but that sounds ridiculous!!!:) does it matter if its long or not?

R/C Dragon 03-12-2004 09:06 PM

RE: how long is your antenna wire?

I think if you go longer you will have a better reception but not alot

ICrashThings 03-12-2004 09:08 PM

hmmm i have this big antenna sticking out and i just wanted to know, tomarrow i will find out for sure, i was just wondering...[&:]

ericheller 03-12-2004 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: ICrashThings

i got 18 inches on my truck now, i could go to 20, but that sounds ridiculous!!!:) does it matter if its long or not?
just whatever you do dont cut the wire to make it shorter, it will glitch. with my xs3 ive never had a problem with glitching and it has a range further than my eyes. but generally
longer = further range.

newbie003 03-13-2004 12:58 AM

my anntena is about 10 something inchs long

Da R/Cer 03-13-2004 02:13 AM

How come your car glitches if you cut the antenna wire?

vizaracer 03-13-2004 02:36 AM

my trucks anntena is like 25 inches or so. lol.:D

nownnew 03-13-2004 02:54 AM

Just don't cut the antenna wire. It should have been a specific length when stock. You will notice that, with different fequencies and/or channels, the antenna lengths differ. Cutting down the antenna length alters the receiver to another frequency and/or channel. Since you're only cutting the antenna with your naked eye, the frequency can be anything. A manufacturer cuts an antenna wire with acurracy and precision. The antenna wire would receive more clearly and farther with extra length, but not by much. (Also, it will prove very dangerous to drive your R/C car farther than your eyesight!)

ICrashThings 03-13-2004 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: vizaracer

my trucks anntena is like 25 inches or so. lol.:D
damn, i just measured, mine only gos 23.5 inches straight from the box!!!!! is that good for a stadium truck?[&:]

ICEweasel 03-13-2004 09:52 AM

i lost an inch or so of the top of my antenna wire after a flip . do i have to replace it or is it ok?

iliketobreakthings 03-13-2004 02:35 PM

i tripped while holding my remote and the tip broke off but i lost it and now the reception is realy short how can i fix it?

ericheller 03-13-2004 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: nownnew

Just don't cut the antenna wire. It should have been a specific length when stock. You will notice that, with different fequencies and/or channels, the antenna lengths differ. Cutting down the antenna length alters the receiver to another frequency and/or channel. Since you're only cutting the antenna with your naked eye, the frequency can be anything. A manufacturer cuts an antenna wire with acurracy and precision. The antenna wire would receive more clearly and farther with extra length, but not by much. (Also, it will prove very dangerous to drive your R/C car farther than your eyesight!)
actually antenna lenths have nothing to do with the frequency i dont think. if it did then how come i can change the channel on my radio and it still works just fine. i dont know exactly why cutting the antenna messes it up but it has for me befor(not with my xs3).

lately ive noticed that alot of people are using those plastic things that you wrap the wire through the holes like a coil. it makes it so you dont have to cut a hole for the antenna in the body, and it doesnt stick up. i think now radios are starting to get better, and there isnt as much of a need for a long antenna. i was thinking about using a short antenna if i paint a new body for my nt so there isnt a hole through it.

ericheller 03-13-2004 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: iliketobreakthings

i tripped while holding my remote and the tip broke off but i lost it and now the reception is realy short how can i fix it?
you just need to go to your lhs and order and/or buy a new antenna. i need to do the same, lately ive been using a antenna from a different transmitter that is the wrong width. they make a black antenna for my radio so there isnt a reflection from the sun in your eyes.

BOOCAKE4U 03-13-2004 10:44 PM

ORIGINAL: ericheller
actually antenna lenths have nothing to do with the frequency i dont think. if it did then how come i can change the channel on my radio and it still works just fine. i dont know exactly why cutting the antenna messes it up but it has for me befor(not with my xs3).
antenna lengths have EVERYTHING to do with the frequency...this is why 27MHz and 75MHz receivers will have different length receiver antennas...the length of the antenna is tuned to a number of factors, the most important being the band (27,40,75MHz etc)...a small change (an inch or two off the antenna, or changing crystals/channels) will not have a noticeable effect on reception, but significantly changing the length of the antenna (or coiling it) will most definitely reduce the range, and possibly increase glitching/interference...if you want to hide your antenna under the body, just bend the whole thing over inside the tube, or rig up a piece of plastic (from a soda bottle or whatever) with cuts in the sides, and have the antenna "zig zag" along the length of it (from cut to cut)

moral of the story: NEVER CUT OR COIL YOUR ANTENNA

Da R/Cer 03-14-2004 02:55 AM

no wonder, now when ever i turn on my quick drive the steering servo glitches and makes a wierd noise and it moves like a millimetre or 2 each side.

ICrashThings 03-14-2004 09:38 AM

wait...i thought those little tiny frequency crystals changed the damn frequency.......

Selfdestruct 03-14-2004 10:48 AM

my antenna wire is so friggin long. i have a good 6 inches hanging out the top of my tube. *** do i do with all of that? it looks like crap

ICrashThings 03-14-2004 11:00 AM

get a bigger tube...if u cant, then (dare i say it) CUT TEH WIRE!!!![sm=lol.gif]

Selfdestruct 03-14-2004 01:01 PM

a bigger tube would look totally retarded. Ill get right on cutting that wire too :eek:

ericheller 03-14-2004 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: visible

a bigger tube would look totally retarded. Ill get right on cutting that wire too :eek:
you should never cut the wire. i would get a cap for the end dand wrap the wire around the tube. or better yet pull the antenna down so there is none above the tube, and use a wire tie.

Selfdestruct 03-14-2004 02:17 PM

thats what i did. just pulled the excess down, tied and hide ;)

Bush Wacker 03-14-2004 05:09 PM

My antenna wire broke so I just twisted the wires back together.

basher314 03-14-2004 06:32 PM

i dom\nt think cutting the wire will do anything. my attena wire got riped out(my friends dog did it) and all i did was strip each end soddered them together and shrink wraped it and now it works as good as new, and it DOESN'T glitch

vizaracer 03-14-2004 10:32 PM

i had about 7 inches coming out of my antenna tube. i just stuffed it all in the radio box.

raceme 03-15-2004 02:21 AM

if my antenna wire was to rip out of the whole rx box how would i go on fixin that...would i be able to order a replacement wire instead of buying a whole new rx..i have a mx-3 and im worried that my antenna wire will rip and there rx cost like 80 dollars and the whole set wit two servos cost around 120. so yea where could