RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   For the older guys: What car brings back memories? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/2778900-older-guys-what-car-brings-back-memories.html)

s7jstep1 12-14-2007 10:27 PM

RE: For the older guys: What car brings back memories?

im not an old timer but i would say that the old school rc10 with the gold chassis . when i see that, i want to see what racing was like back then

justinep 12-15-2007 12:22 AM

Great post!

I remember when (1987) my brother got the Tyco Turbo-hopper (haha) and My neighbor had the Tamiya Hornet (smoked the Tyco). My first car was a used Tamiya Lunchbox and then I upgraded to a Kyosho Nitro Thunderbird (1994) and a Tamiya Super Astute... from there it just went downhill ($$)! I still own all of my cars (and the turbo hopper from my Bro) too.

I do remember the "rich kids" had the RC-10 buggy and they would smoke everyone on the block!

s7jstep1 12-16-2007 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: justinep

Great post!

I remember when (1987) my brother got the Tyco Turbo-hopper (haha) and My neighbor had the Tamiya Hornet (smoked the Tyco). My first car was a used Tamiya Lunchbox and then I upgraded to a Kyosho Nitro Thunderbird (1994) and a Tamiya Super Astute... from there it just went downhill ($$)! I still own all of my cars (and the turbo hopper from my Bro) too.

I do remember the "rich kids" had the RC-10 buggy and they would smoke everyone on the block!
my brother saved up for that rc10 and when he finally got it, he and his friend spent all night putting it together. i was only like 3 and didnt really care. now i have it and im restoring it. when my dad told me it was top of the line in its day, i laughed at him. with its foreward only msc with no brakes i thought it was funny.

tokenring 02-16-2008 09:57 AM

Nice! My friend just found his original Nikko Black Fox and I'm trying to find my original Nikko Turbo Aero (white). I have the my friends Black Fox with me as I am into RC's again. Does anyone know where I can find a back tire for this buggy. Here is a link to the buggy.

http://chogokin.altervista.org/nonso...kfox/index.htm

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...ini/aero15.jpg

AB

hilifemt 02-16-2008 10:07 AM

I had a Futaba FX-10 as my first hobby grade rc. Then I got a RC10 buggy. My bro had a Losi JRX-2 buggy. And my buddy had the forever awesome Lunchbox. Those bring back great memeories to me.

Itsme7 02-16-2008 10:59 AM

I'm not that old to the hobby, my first rc was a first gen. tmaxx i got on Christmas 01. I was 11 years old at the time. I broke it in no problem, and had tons of fun.

wave waker 02-16-2008 08:41 PM

i didn't get any rc car when i was young[:o],,so what brings back memories? is MATCHBOX!!! AND MORE MATCHBOX:D:D. OH! man they really cool[8D] then to have....

Soothsayerman 02-16-2008 08:43 PM

Frog and the Lunch box.

My neighbor had that cox car that you locked the wheels and let her rip! It had a very short life. So he got into cox tether planes.

Frog was amazing.

NitroBobby 02-17-2008 12:52 PM

i like this thread.

the first "good" r/c car that i can remember was called the "mountain man". i think it was a tyco. it was a big black heavy blazer looking truck that had a 2wd/4wd slider switch on top of the truck. 2wd had pretty good speed and the 4wd was geared low for climbing and off roading. it didn't have any suspension, but it had air filled balloon tires. i beat the heck out of it until i broke the gears that drove the wheels one day.

my first hobby grade r/c was the tamiya fox. i got it for my 13th birthday. i raced it a few times at a local indoor dirt track, but mostly i would just beat on it in the street in front of my house. that thing was so much fun. i remember the mechanical speed control. i think it "featured" 3 speeds forward, one reverse.

justinep 02-17-2008 11:12 PM

I had the COX control line planes (just makes you dizzy and bored, haha).

Any old tamiya buggyt from the mid 80's makes me smile (hornets, falcon, frog, boomerang, lunchbox, grasshopper, super astute etc)

and of course the TYCO TURBO HOPPER!

jeepnhal 02-23-2008 06:13 PM

this brings back memories for me.ive had this one since about 1991 when i was 12.i cant even count how many paint jobs,wheel/rim combos/motors it has had.ive taken it all over the country on vacations,road trips,work trips etc.its been beaten and put away wet so many times its crazy.it has never sat except for a week once when i snapped the rearend in half.i drive it a few times a week faithfully.i took it apart last week to clean it and do some upgrades.itll be back on the road asap.ive had at least 20 diffrent lunchboxes but this is old faithfull that never will leave my possesion,my baby.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...chboxes009.jpg
the red one is also an original one that i purchased a few years ago which i will soon go through,not sure what i want to do with it.shelf queen basher,cant decide
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...chboxes001.jpg
and my blackfoot.got this one in about 1993 for a song ,oh and it was brand new.guy couldnt get it working ,i cant remember why but i got it working on the car ride home lol.has been driven once,and prolly will never be driven again.im going to strip the body and go back to all black paint.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...oxresto005.jpg

i have a passion for theese old vintage rides,and will continue buying rebuilding and driving them,making more memories.

RCCanuck 02-23-2008 08:20 PM

my first RC was a Tyco back in the day...then I got a Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle.

Bigshades 02-23-2008 08:38 PM

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...inoedited4.jpg

This i stumbled upon in a garage sale for $5. It is a 1985 Nikko Rhino Frame-Buggy. I dont know too much other than it has a Relay-speed control. It has 4 AA's for the servo, and the typical shotgun pack for the motor. lol, its pretty old school there.

aftermarket 02-24-2008 12:14 AM

Lol, I can't tell you how many rc cars I've been through (non hobby at first) One that really stood out: A toy dodge viper I got from china that could go as fast as I could jog (that was fast to me, I was 8) Another car is my first hobby grade car, I was like 11 or so and me wanting the best, got myself a cen racing cts4, I always had it rich (didn't know how to tune it rofl) and my bro finally hit a car tire w/ it, then I took it for a spin after a ghetto fix, and the wheel fell off...couldn't find a 25 cent pin that got lost in the street, and my car lay in the garage for about 4 months. My dad threw it away, and when I got to like 13 I'm like, aw s***, I had such a nice car and trashed it :S

good times ;)

casper975 02-24-2008 11:02 AM

Ok lets see my first was a tamiya hornet then a subaru brat, rc10 ,rc10ds, rc10t, losi jr t, clod buster, juggernot 2, 2 tl01's, mini rs4 pro, rs4 pro 2, mini rs4, futaba stadium truck, nitro sand blaster, nitro rustler, t-maxx, ofna monster, 2 micro rs4's, mini-t, xray m18, rc18t, yokomo yr4-m2 japanese version, ta04, m03m, panda stocker, mini stocker, bolink digger, rc10l, bandit, 2 rustler's, 2 stampede's, street sport, goliath, tlt-1, high roller, nitro 4tec, 2 tc3's, rc10t3, rc10b4, mini quake, 2 mini-z's, 4 xmod's, mini-z monster, mini-z overland, tyco bandit, theres more I just cant remember all of them but not in that order just the hornet and brat was my first 2 I had:D

aero750rider 02-26-2008 06:57 AM

mine was the tamiya hornet a couple months later i bought the blackfoot and then my all time favorite classic is my clodbuster[8D]

toysn909 06-06-2011 05:53 AM

I'm looking to buy vintage Thorpe 1/8 scale gas cars if anyone has one or chassis parts please email me [email protected]

lez1troubles 06-06-2011 06:07 AM

Tamiya Sand scorcher, I still have it. Rolls like a ball and mostly lands back on its wheels. Tough as nails that thing is.
They even have a remake of it on the market now, maybe I should buy another one just for fun.:D

Chucksolo69 06-06-2011 06:25 AM

Yep, I had the Cox dune buggy as well. First car I had with a pull start. Eventually the spokes on the wheels broke and I couldn't find parts. My first hobby class RC car was a Traxxas Street Sport.

kaiser01 06-06-2011 11:15 AM

the wild one, my first car, brings back horrible memories. i'd still buy a re-release if they make one.

my fondest memories are of my first gen losi jrx2, loved that car.</p>

stoya789 06-06-2011 01:08 PM

tamiya clodbuster/bullhead.

378 06-06-2011 06:23 PM

My first hobby-grade RC, in that it used digital proportional control and had replaceable parts, was a couple of Mini-Z Overlands. I still use the transmitter from one of them on my TC3. I also go nostalgia when I see a nitro Rush and a Kyosho Mad Force.

asmithnc 06-07-2011 08:00 AM

The Tyco Turbo Hopper was my first. Got it Christmas morning and DAD wanted to jump it off the deck. I said no, he said yes with the words ( I'll fix it if it breaks). It broke and he bought me some model airplane glue and said fix it. After many attempts to fix and breaking I gave up. It was my first and last B/C of the disappointment it made on my young heart.

FahrtAutoRC 06-07-2011 09:49 AM

My first two RC that i really remember, and loved, I cannot remember the names of. One was this little 4X4 MT from Radio Shack, late eighties or so, had a black semi body and ridiculous wing but was pretty fast for what it was, on eight AAs hehe

other one, which I would love to have today, was this black F1 style NIKKO on-road car, also pretty quick for what it was.

If anyone knows what I am talkin about and can steer me in the right direction I will buy em up ASAP

Aside from that, I had the norm. The TYCO Dagger, numerous New-Brites and Nikkos, the old Caterpillar dump truck that let out "real diesel smoke" when you put 3-in-1 oil in the chamber, etc

moe7404 06-07-2011 01:14 PM

i love to see cars from the 50s-60s. the cars in the 70s was junk.