RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   For the older guys: What car brings back memories? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/2778900-older-guys-what-car-brings-back-memories.html)

thumpin347 03-18-2005 12:30 PM

For the older guys: What car brings back memories?

whats up people. what car brings back memories of your childhood/noobie years of RC? i've had TONS of RCs when i was young. i used to get them for my birthday, christmas, and my mom would sometimes surprise me and come home with one after work. anyway, the 2 cars that bring back my memories as a kid are both Tyco cars, one being a 49mhz Lamborghini Countach, and the other being a Tyco 49mhz Bandit. i remember both to be fast! but then again i was younger. i always wanted kits, like a grasshopper or clodbuster or RC10s but my parents wouldnt buy them for me since they were pricey and my cars usually didnt last that long. but yeah, those are the 2 cars that i remember fondly from more than 10 years ago. i remember beating up on my neighbors RC10T with the bandit but the buggy would smoke me.

now that i'm older, i finally have kit cars and can afford to do with them what i may please, but those memories of tyco cars will always stand out

claccytim 03-18-2005 01:48 PM

RE: For the older guys: What car brings back memories?

my first childhood r/c was a tamiya super sabre, bought for me by my dad one christmas. I remember spending most of christmas day watching HIM build it[:o]

this was often raced against hornets, grasshoppers and blackfoots, before i swapped it for a mardave mini stock, for those who dont know, the mardave was one of very few cars with no gearbox, very basic, but when you match a technigold 540 ministock race motor, with a light car that runs only 2 cogs, one on the motor and the other on the rear axle, it flys. Bearing in mind this was 15/20 years ago, to get a car to hit 40mph, with the only upgrade being a £35 motor, it was a dream.

one vehicle i never got my hands on though was a tamiya bull head, if i'm not mistaken this was the first 4x4x4 on the market and everyone wanted one.

Mr Angry 03-18-2005 06:43 PM

I remember the falcon,Bigwig,luntchbox,sonic fighter,blackfoot,monsterbeetle,
And the first Nitro car i saw was a mardave maurader.

ThaMatrixHazU 03-18-2005 07:30 PM

ah ... good topic!

My first car is/was a kyosho Rocky. I think I got it when I was 14/15 back around 1986 or so. A friend of mine had a Grasshopper and we would take those two cars out and run em' all day long. He would always complain about his spiked tires wearing out and mine never showed any wear. Well, I've still got the Rocky, just finished restoring it, all but the body, that's this weekends project I hope. Still has the original tires and body on it, and hopefully, once I drop the hardward in, it'll still run! I still love the looks and build of that little car, you just don't get stock clearance out of buggy's today like you used to. I've often thought of selling it on ebay or something, but never can get myself to do it. That's the car that started it all! Hopefully once the restoration is complete, I'll post some pics to share!

Pigsmightfly 03-20-2005 05:20 AM

First RC was a Schumacher Pro Cat, was 14 at the time so it had taken ages to save up for.

It was confiscated by a teacher after it came to a halt aided by his shin.

Women and beer soon took priority over RC but got back in to it a couple of years back with a T-maxx, Savage and now a Marder. Like being a kid again.

bIGmiK 03-20-2005 05:27 AM

i have a hornet, a super hornet, and i have them tricked to the max, i got others but these are my vintage cars :eek: my super hornet is prolly my must used car, coz with that 13t motor in it it flies, and does wheelies [>:]

poor judgement 03-20-2005 07:39 AM

my first was a marui samurai, chain driven 4wd buggy. u know - i never broke a single part on that thing!! i occasionally find the odd part in a drawer or at the bottom of a box somewhere...

Tricksligger 03-20-2005 08:14 AM

Grasshopper!!!! Then I upgraded many years later to a RC10 buggy. The one with the gold chassis, yea that was sweet! Dog-bones were a flyin. That thing bent dog-bones like there was no tomorrow:D

DavidAgar 03-20-2005 09:36 AM

Mine was a Bolink car that we used for indoor racing. It had a servo for a throttle that had a sweep arm attached to it for the throttle. No where near as many parts as the cars of today. Good Luck, Dave

thumpin347 03-20-2005 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Tricksligger

Grasshopper!!!! Then I upgraded many years later to a RC10 buggy. The one with the gold chassis, yea that was sweet! Dog-bones were a flyin. That thing bent dog-bones like there was no tomorrow:D
i had that buggy too like 10 years ago! thing FLEW

Johnboy Walton 03-21-2005 10:16 AM

For me it will always be the Kyosho Raider. It was a really simple car, but it had most of the features the modern buggies do (molded tub, fiber-reinforced arms, mid-motor, etc.) I still have it. It has a cracked gear case (a little over-complicated design), but it still ran fine when I last used it. If I can find parts, I may have to put it back together.

And like everyone else, I then went to the gold-tub RC10. It wasn't a bad car, but I couldn't afford all the bearings and stuff you needed to make them fast. I ended up stealing the shocks to put on the Raider (where they are to this day), and it's now a shell. I've been thinking about restoring it ever since I heard you could get all the parts from Associated.

Wow, now there are some memories. Good thread, sir!

Mike

mattymx 03-21-2005 10:48 AM

I would have to say the Frog and the Rough Rider.... I would love to have those 2 again just to put on my mantle.

Om3ga 03-21-2005 11:01 AM

Has to be the frog!.

I saved my school allowance to buy it. At every weekend I would just watch the other bash around.I couldn't even build the buggy when i finally had it !. My uncle helped me built it which took him a week lol!.I was 10 then. Still have the original box but the buggy is gone :(.

I still have X2 Tamiya Porsche 956's back home just for memories sake.

r1p_s4w 03-22-2005 04:38 PM

I remember cox put a .049 into a car. You tied it to a tree or something and it rans circles like a mutha!!! maybe 1970 or 71? I was into choppers then

akm 03-22-2005 09:01 PM

I,m new to these forums and just found this thread. My first car was a falcon then I spent the big bucks and bought a gold chasis rc10. I was about 13 back then, now my 2yo son is pushing the the rooling chasis (all that is left of my rc10) around the floor as I write this.

yazoo bass 03-22-2005 10:17 PM

my first was a cox rc shriek it had a .049. one channel

FlyingV77 03-22-2005 10:21 PM

i finaly broke am a-arm on my vintige ride this week, my brothers dog was chaing it arount the yard, hit a tennis ball and cart wheeled. but i found some arms on the bay, so ill hav it running again soon! had the thing sence 91' one of the only hings to ever break on it

B.T.D.T. 03-23-2005 05:34 PM

My first car is a rough rider, then a frog, ABC 1/12th scale onroad, 1/8th scale Nitro Vanning, RC10 (yes the gold tub with holes drilled out for weight) and last year I got a FT NTC3 and a RT-G4. I still have all my cars. I'm glad I save them. They all still run. The rough rider is all patched up with glue and missing the rear cage. Too many pieces to glue back.

Last year I let my 6 years old son drive the frog and he loved it. Now he drives the Nitro RTP-G4.

This hobby brings back the kid in you.

Flan Mutters GO BLUE! 03-23-2005 05:36 PM

Grass Hopper. I used to beat down the Tyco Bandit's like it was my job.

Sinny Gun 03-23-2005 07:14 PM

my first car was a tamiya falcon and my some of my friends had an ultima, optima, bigwig, boomerang,hotshot and an rc10. i spent all my bday money on that falcon and now that i look at that list of cars... my car was the crappiest out of the bunch. damn falcon those dog bones were the worse! i also had this huge stick radio, a challenger 250. lol. that was like 20 years ago!

1troy7 03-24-2005 07:39 PM

Yes, my Frog, can remember getting it hooked on a bumper of a passing car. Those hard antenna wires. Lol, many accidents. Went through alot of half-shafts. To many stripped gears. How many times did I see it roll.:eek: It was a good car, infact it still is after all these years, it still sits on my shelf. lots of memories.;)

Goaferboy 03-27-2005 02:45 PM

my first car was a tamiya shooting star and iv still got it. i had it when i was about eight and i remember it going like the clappers. i coloured the shell in with a black permanent marker and the wheels with blue warhammer paint so if anyone knows where i can get a new(ish) shell and wheels plaease let me know.

i loved that thing

housemetal 03-29-2005 02:30 PM

what brings me back: nikko turbo panther, tough,fast alot of money on batteries, also a old cox roadster .49

aknitroguy 03-29-2005 03:25 PM

My first car was a cox dune buggy with an .049 engine and no radio. LOL you fired the little sucker up and the front wheels "clicked" in place, you could turn it either way or point it straight (only did that once) Fire it up and let it rip til it ran out of fuel. I was 11 or 12 Then I got a Super champ, That was a cool car. The whole top of the chassis was a clear sealed box, everything waterproof. It even had boots where the steering turnbuckles came out. My first nitro was a kyosho vanning 1/8 scale four wheel drive still has the original o.s. .21b engine in it. If it would of had a MT body on it it would have been the first real monster truck (in my opinion) sheesh the little cox buggy was 25 years ago lol. Good thread, Seeing all the old cars mentioned made me think of a lot of great times growing up:)
Take care all,
Jay

[WPA] Tommy 06-28-2005 06:49 AM

My first was a Kyosho Lazer Zx and my bro had a Kyosho Optima Mid Custom..

But what about the Mardave Stockmaster anyone remeber them ?