RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Tower Hobbies just lost a customer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/5105998-tower-hobbies-just-lost-customer.html)

rc_flyer428 12-12-2006 07:08 AM

Tower Hobbies just lost a customer

I placed an order for a few things last night. A new 370 sized motor for the vmg, some 3"long body posts, and a 1/18th scale truck body. For some reason they charged me 8.99 for shipping. Every time before this that I have ordered small stuff like that its been 3.99. I'm not going to pay that much shipping when I can just got to my lhs and buy it or let him order it.

bigbadbowtie 12-12-2006 08:09 AM

RE: Tower Hobbies just lost a customer

RC....I have all bust stopped buying from Tower. Its either my local shop, nitro house or rc boyz.

You ever race at Dallas Dragway before it closed. I raced there on a few occasions.

SAVAGEJIM 12-12-2006 09:01 AM

Every store messes up every now and then. This is when we the customers need to inform them of the problem. I'm sure Tower will refund the excess charge for the shipping mistake (if it is a mistake).

Now, if it is their new policy to charge such a high shipping charge, write them a letter or e-mail expressing your displeasure (if you have not done so already). When they get enough complaints expressing that their high shipping charges out-cost sales tax at the local RC store, I'm sure they will change that quick to remain competitive.

I never ordered from Tower before, even though I browse their store frequently, but also check out their discounts. They just might have a discount to bring the final cost with S&H below local cost+sales tax at the RC store.

bigbadbowtie 12-12-2006 09:32 AM

S/H is now a flat rate 8.99 no matter if you order a .30 cent washer or 1000 dollars in engines. If you are going to order from them its best to order a list of things. If you order parts that are on thier parts express list its 3.99.

You can join their club and get free shipping on orders over 150.

Dawman 12-12-2006 10:26 AM

With gas prices the way they are and now electric almost doubling at the first of the year , what do you expect ? When utilities go up , something has to give and the companies are not going to eat the $ . Either the price , shipping , or both are going to have an effect . I order ftom tower once and a while and shipping has always been $7-9 and I only live a few hours away from tower .

DaveG55 12-12-2006 10:27 AM

I agree, Towers flat rates are often a deal buster for me too. I will go elsewhere for small items and only order from them when I need enough stuff to make shipping worthwhile. Nine dollars is too much, IMO, for a flat rate. I could see $4.50 as a fllat rate with larger shipments based on weight but at $9 I don't feel the need to subsidize their other customers or add to their bottom line.
Having said that, it's really hard to beat Towers very liberal and customer friendly return policy and their humongus inventory.

If you were that upset with the shipping costs then why did you complete the order? They tell you before you complete the purchase what shipping will be and you have the opertunity to cancel your order. Believe me, I've canceled more than one order because I thought shipping was too high. And believe me, Tower is not the only online shop that has high shipping costs. To say you won't shop from them again is your right but it seems kind of nieve and extreme to me.

R/C fan-addict 12-12-2006 02:51 PM

umm it says that in their policy. Shipping is 8.99 for all orders containing large items. If your order contains parts that are all "parts express ilegible" then the price drops to 3.99 with an option for express shipping that costs $3.99 more. There is nothing that they screwed up on, it's just that you ordered parts that don't allow parts express. Most motors are quite large and heavy and therefore won't be parts express ilegible.

humanoid 12-12-2006 03:39 PM

I boought a front and rear shock tower brace from them last week and shipping was 3.99

Dawman 12-12-2006 03:58 PM

I guess if you live close to a hobby shop , paying the shipping costs might seem extreme . But both of my LHS are 35 -45 miles away and a $6-10 shipping fee isn`t a big deal especially with the gas prices .

fugadude 12-12-2006 04:37 PM

They lost me too they don't seem to know how to ship anything. All their bodies always arrive with some kind of dent in them. I've even recieved a bad can of spray paint. I never have these problems elsewhere. Either someone in their warehouse is abusing their merchandise or they just don't pack them well enough (they don't pack for crap is my guess as far as the root of the problem is concerned) I'd rather buy all my stuff from the guys on ebay. When shipping and price and everything is done it's within a reasonable margin. I don't care if I pay 10 dollars more as long as it gets to me in proper condition. I sent them a very polite email on the issue they never cared to respond, oh well :)

I also detest their website which was designed by a total idiot.

Dawman 12-12-2006 04:51 PM

I suppose you can do better ? If so do something about it , don`t just sit and bitc$ . I`m sure any online store would be interested in someone coming up with a better site for them and might land a job .

R/C fan-addict 12-12-2006 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: fugadude

They lost me too they don't seem to know how to ship anything. All their bodies always arrive with some kind of dent in them. I've even recieved a bad can of spray paint. I never have these problems elsewhere. Either someone in their warehouse is abusing their merchandise or they just don't pack them well enough (they don't pack for crap is my guess as far as the root of the problem is concerned) I'd rather buy all my stuff from the guys on ebay. When shipping and price and everything is done it's within a reasonable margin. I don't care if I pay 10 dollars more as long as it gets to me in proper condition. I sent them a very polite email on the issue they never cared to respond, oh well :)

I've ordered from them for 4 years now, and never has a product come in damaged. Once they accidentially threw in a $100 duratrax charger that I didn't order! Not bad huh? As for their website, you must be stoned out of your mind to say it is badly designed. The search feature is great, and almost every item has a picture, description, possible subs, and other related items section. It is much better than sites like hobbytron where when you search an item they give you their entire stock hoping you'll buy something else. Tower's staff is also very polite and their technicians and return policy is also very good. They also have long business hours and if you ever need customer service they are some of the best to deal with. Other companies like Dell or AOL don't give a hoot about customer service.

J_D 12-12-2006 06:09 PM

oh no you have to pay $5 extra............. geez....

fugadude 12-12-2006 06:09 PM

Why would I do something about it? I don't care about TowerHobbies I just shop elswhere. If you guys like TowerHobbies I'm glad for you, but if you're telling me that they package their shipments properly maybe you haven't ordered from them recently. Personally I will not shop with them. As for doing better, I could do 100 times better enduring chinese water torture at the same time :) Their site sucks on so many levels it would be a waste of my time to get into all the logical problems with the site. Regardless I just don't care and simply shop elsewhere.

Dawman 12-12-2006 06:16 PM

Why would I do something about it? I don't care about TowerHobbies I just shop elswhere. If you guys like TowerHobbies I'm glad for you, but if you're telling me that they package their shipments properly maybe you haven't ordered from them recently. Personally I will not shop with them. As for doing better, I could do 100 times better enduring chinese water torture at the same time :) Their site sucks on so many levels it would be a waste of my time to get into all the logical problems with the site. Regardless I just don't care and simply shop elsewhere.

Well , I just had 3 different orders in the past month and eveytime I`ve ordered something it`s been packed fine . I use Tower usually once a monce and never a problem . "You don`t care " about Tower but yet you still complain . Far as their website , you must be on some good crack . You bitc$ about it but don`t mention why it sucks . Sounds like all talk to me .

R/C fan-addict 12-12-2006 06:29 PM

3 orders in the last month and a half and nothing wrong with the packing, cept the charger which I'm not complaining about ;)

cjg 12-12-2006 06:36 PM

I've ordered from Tower regularly. Never had a problem.

As for the site, I think it is much better than Horizon Hobby. Horizon's search feature doesn't work worth a squat to find anything other than what they seem to want to direct your toward. It is really hard to "browse" at the Horizon site.

Fortunately my local Hobbytown meets most of the prices online so I usually shop there.

rc_flyer428 12-12-2006 06:43 PM

I would have cancelled the order but i needed to hurry up and get the stuff and i'm going going to have time to go to my lhs for a few days so... i just ordered it.

fugadude 12-12-2006 07:11 PM

Yeah I know I don't even care enough to get into it. Think what you want too haha, my time is too precious to debate TowerHobbies.

DaveG55 12-12-2006 08:14 PM

Yeah I know I don't even care enough to get into it. Think what you want too haha, my time is too precious to debate TowerHobbies.
And yet here you are...

With the second most number of posts in this thread...

Allow me to misquote Shakespear,

I think you protest too much...

46u 12-12-2006 09:05 PM

I did not read this whole post but I have spent about $10,000 or more with them in the last 4 or 5 years. There service for the most part has been very good. I had a few problems and they all ways made it more the right. When you go to an item on their site it will tell you if it is parts express if you did not check it is your fault not there’s!! All so if you order something like a big car kit or RTR they still only charge $8.99 and see how many others only charge that! If you have a problem with them that is not YOUR fault and call them and explain nicely they will make it right! One time I go an order with 3 bottles of Wildcat Extreme cleaner and one like a couple of ounces leak out so I called them they sent me 3 more not one but 3 more bottles at no charge. I all so had a fuel pump come in that leaked called them and they sent me another one out right away. I never had to send a thing back! I had several other problems and they have all ways made it right. As far as the shipping that is your fault get real!!!!!!!!!

i8tweety 12-12-2006 09:35 PM

While I'm a strong advocate of patroning your local hobby shop (and I definitely support my 3 local shops), I use Tower Hobbies a couple times a year when my local shops can't come close on price. I've had 2 incorrect orders since 1986. Both times my order was wrong (picked the wrong part in the warehouse), I gave them a call and they expedited the correct parts. They were professional and quite accomodating.

xxMESTxx 12-13-2006 06:20 PM

well u do know u just said u ordered it recently, do the words HOLIDAY SEASON mean anything, right now when everyone is buying everything they raise shipping and such, i mean anywhere u go prolly raised it recently,i wouldnt stop buyin from tower cuz they raise the shipping during the holiday season it would be just pointless

secretsg 12-13-2006 08:58 PM

Somehow I don't think they are worried. Towers is great when used correctly. (Coupons+Supersaver) Otherwise better price can be had else where.

Rs43EVOman 12-13-2006 09:09 PM

Ok guys honestly youve got it all wrong. It really isnt that big a deal. all the parts that used to ship for $3.99 still do, the only thing that changed was the regular order went from $7.99 to $8.99. now unless you order from them hundreds of times a year, then i dont care how cheep you are it really isnt a big deal.