RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   RC car transmitter question..27mhz/AM/FM? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/6983453-rc-car-transmitter-question-27mhz-am-fm.html)

expo 01-28-2008 10:48 AM

RC car transmitter question..27mhz/AM/FM?

Hello all you radio people....
My short term problem is that I bought an rc car without a transmitter or other information on it. I'd like a shot at buying a transmitter but don't know where to start.

The car's a Radio Shack Nomad off road buggy. The only marking on it that identifies any electronics is "Band 2". It doesn't say AM, FM, mhz. Radio Shack website response was a shrug. While I'm familiar with the 72 mhz air rx/tx stuff, this car has, what I believe to be, a receiver/bec/esc combined on a printed circuit board buried in the innards. I was knowledgeable enough to identify the crystal soldered on the board and read the engravings to be 26.590 mhz. and it was painted red. Checking on the AMA website, there are no channels listed for that frequency. I can get it to glitch by passing an FM tx antenna next to the car's causing the wheels to jump. How can I identify what tx would control this thing without experimenting?

Long term, I've heard terms such as toy grade, hobby grade 27 mhz components that are AM, FM, air and ground, CB channels. How can these terms be used to identify what you are buying if there are no stickers to guide you? Is 27 mhz AM or FM or both? Are toy grade and hobby grade 27 mhz compatible with each other? How can they be differentiated? I'd like to blossom to all of rc but it's all so confusing.

Thanks in advance for your response.

redraze 01-28-2008 11:26 AM

RE: RC car transmitter question..27mhz/AM/FM?

Being from radioshack it will be AM, also with everything on one circut board getting another hobby grade radio working on it is nill. It won't have anything like a normal servo so if you pick up something like this [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASX4**&P=SM[/link] you might be able to rig up the stearing servo and you can use the included speed controler for the motor

expo 01-28-2008 01:05 PM

AM..........that's half the battle. You're on with the servo, it's a large 5 wire that's controlled by the board like the Hobbyzone trainer planes.

That Tower controller that "may" work is more $ than this car is worth to me. Thanks

DaveG55 01-28-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: expo

Hello all you radio people....
My short term problem is that I bought an rc car without a transmitter or other information on it. I'd like a shot at buying a transmitter but don't know where to start.

The car's a Radio Shack Nomad off road buggy. The only marking on it that identifies any electronics is "Band 2". It doesn't say AM, FM, mhz. Radio Shack website response was a shrug. While I'm familiar with the 72 mhz air rx/tx stuff, this car has, what I believe to be, a receiver/bec/esc combined on a printed circuit board buried in the innards. I was knowledgeable enough to identify the crystal soldered on the board and read the engravings to be 26.590 mhz. and it was painted red. Checking on the AMA website, there are no channels listed for that frequency. I can get it to glitch by passing an FM tx antenna next to the car's causing the wheels to jump. How can I identify what tx would control this thing without experimenting?

Long term, I've heard terms such as toy grade, hobby grade 27 mhz components that are AM, FM, air and ground, CB channels. How can these terms be used to identify what you are buying if there are no stickers to guide you? Is 27 mhz AM or FM or both? Are toy grade and hobby grade 27 mhz compatible with each other? How can they be differentiated? I'd like to blossom to all of rc but it's all so confusing.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Lot of questions there.
First, as everyone has said, you're looking at an AM system. The problem with the radio shack stuff is they don't use the same frequencies as "hobby grade" radios do. They use frequencies that are slightly above or below the standard frequencies (at least their x-mod stuff does. I think that your best bet for getting a transmitter for your rc is to start checking e-bay and craig's list for a Radio Shaft controller that works on band #2. You might get lucky and get a Hobby grade tx off e-bay for $20 or so and get an x-mod x-tal to fit and work, idk for sure though, you'd have to do more research to check if the x-mod frequencies are compatible with your vehicle.

For some of your other questions.
Hobby grade radios systems are divided into bands depending on their frequencies. The FCC has designated that certain bands can only be used for certain uses, thus the air and ground designations. The 27mhz band - which can be either AM or FM but is most often found as an AM system - is the only band that can be used for ground and air vehicles. There are also 50 mhz, 72 mhz and 75 mhz bands. The 50 mhz band is for amateur radio operators and requires a ham radio license. 72 mhz is for aircraft only and 75 mhz is for surface vehicles. Again the 72 and 75 mhz bands can be AM or FM but are usually found as FM systems. This link may help some with the US channels - http://rcsource.hobbypeople.net/faqs/freqlist.htm. Europe and Canada - and the rest of the world really - allow different frequencies to be used for rc also. And to top it off there are now systems that operate on the 2.4 ghz frequencies. These are known as the DSS (digital spread spectrum) systems and are - by far - the best system to date.