RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   My new rc workbench! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/9800509-my-new-rc-workbench.html)

jakerz04 06-13-2010 04:29 PM

My new rc workbench!

1 Attachment(s)

I just thought i'd share this, i built it yesterday and I guess im just proud.
On top is my slash, solderin iron battery charger, and lamp and i have a long floresent lamp that mounts underneath the white shelf(not pictured.)
underneath is my portable tool box, extra tires, radios, bodies, and orginizationa; bins(cant see in pic)
its pretty chead, compact, and easy to build
if you want plans reply and ill post them</p>

nitrosportsandrunner 06-13-2010 05:09 PM

RE: My new rc workbench!

better than my setup, my RCs end up spread out all over the floor, in various stages or repair or upgrade:eek: every few weeks i clean everything up, get rid of all the trash(velcro strip backings, used electrical tape, stripped off wires ect.) and it only takes a week or so before its a mess again. lucky for me i have a room just for my RC stuff.

proanti1 06-13-2010 05:41 PM

Looks sturdy, but small... I have a big ass military desk I got at the surplus store, its like 10 feet long. Although I manage to clutter it up pretty quick and end up working on my cars on the kitchen table.

redfisher1974 06-13-2010 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks good, I just have a wire rack [:o]

jakerz04 06-13-2010 05:42 PM

Thats cool I wish I had an entire room for this but i dont need a whole room for only 2 rcs and parts and this is a major step up considering for te last 6 months all repairs and upgrades were done on a very short round plywood table with a 2 feet diameter but I have my spare tv right there and my laptop fits perfect height ob the dresser, im happy

jakerz04 06-13-2010 05:44 PM

its not huge but its too big for my small room as is and down the road when i get more stuff ill have to think of something else i think

jakerz04 06-13-2010 05:46 PM

hell thats not bad, id thake that over my last setup anyway te wire rack is good for car holder, battery charger and everything but not so great for repair/upgrades

redfisher1974 06-13-2010 05:47 PM

True, I have to do my repairs on the kitchen table. Which the wife hates:D

proanti1 06-13-2010 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

My girlfriend is always vacuuming up screws... she made me buy a new vacuum one day because an allen screw busted the fan or something in the last one.

nitrosportsandrunner 06-13-2010 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

My girlfriend is always vacuuming up screws... she made me buy a new vacuum one day because an allen screw busted the fan or something in the last one.
just why im lucky to have my own room for my RC stuff. i dont have to worry if i get interupted or have to stop in the middle of a repair or mod. i just leave everything as is, and close the door.
but i have a 2 month old boy. and im sure that when he gets older he will mess with dads stuff. and eventually i will have to make some of my RC's his.
when i was younger, i was always misplacing my dads tools. im sure my boy will do the same. plus, when he gets old enough, i will have to make my RC room his bedroom. but it will be nice to have someone to do RC stuff with:)

jakerz04 06-13-2010 08:16 PM

thats cool, and if anyone actually cares, lol i did get my floresent light mounted up, then it didnt work haha, I already got to use the workbench and had to resolder on the power wires in the light to the little power box thing(idk what they are called) :D

FieroMan121 06-13-2010 08:18 PM

thats a sweet setup, better than working on the floor or in the humid/ hot garage

my bedroom is about 95% rc stuff (basicly a workshop with a bed and clothes), wall to wall vintage manuals, posters, banners, cars, the works, even got the original alum. sign from the local track. and my floor is always covered in rc scraps and projects (not to mention stains) and if i had my way id lose the bed and sleep on the couch downstairs. the only thing i dont do in my room is paint, solder, dremal stuff and nitro equip. that stays in the garage.

jakerz04 06-13-2010 08:28 PM

Yeah I have 2 TV's, 20 inch, and a 13 inch(13 inch for next to the rc workshop so I can be not so alone in my room while working and not half to turn 180 degrees to catch somethin' on the tube), my TV stand and bookcase(which you can see bookcase in pic) which i made in shop in the high school, xbox360 inside the TV stand, bed, and dresser, and i live in an apartment so I don't have ANY other place to do this stuff so I'm glad to finally have my own area to do said projects, and I am fairly new to rc, about 6 months, so I don't have all the posters and manuals etc. but yes....

plasma 327 06-13-2010 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice.. I am lucky enough to have a whole den to my self.. I have home built bar that i use for my Rc's..

neyou86 06-13-2010 10:15 PM

my shop is the old milk room in our barn. put up a table made of 2x6 then i have a wood cabinet full of my stuff. sadly i only have 2 rc's and they both need parts. so my heli and my truck sit in there and look pretty. works alot better than a bedroom floor.

jakerz04 06-14-2010 12:30 AM

plasma 32
dude nice thats pretty cool
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: verdana, arial; font-size: 11px; font-weight: bold; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">neyou86
</span>yeh that was my problem, the bedroom floor wasnt working, but yes i only have 2 rc cars myself so i dont need a whole room but my gpa said i could have the back, closed off section of the garage but sadly i had to decline just because i only go to his house 1-2 times a week but i think im going to buy a mini and its perfect room for a mini track and a couple friends have some too so it would be fun on weekends

<br type="_moz" />

MTboy 06-14-2010 09:13 AM

For the first 2 years i just worked on the front room floor out of a cabnet that held my stuff. Now I have a portable lightweight table to sit at. My wife loves me to have my space so she set me up next to the TV in the front room..lol I have 7 surface and 4 air thaat all have there own tote. Just pull the one out I'm working on or running till I'm done then back in the tote..

prestonlal 06-14-2010 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My apartment is pretty cramped..[:o] so my first workbench was just a lil fold away table up until the beginning of this year... then i got hooked on tamiyas..so had to improvise..:eek:
i use the wall for storage and i picked up a 2'x4' folding table that i use as a bench. i have a couple of plastic tubs below as well as one of those 4 draw rubbermaid jobs..you can just barely see it in one of the pics...

AlienModified 06-14-2010 01:12 PM

Here's mine, before and after. I have too much crap in my garage to put a car in it, so that's my shop. The bench is built from semi-trailer flooring (laminated oak), 4x4's, and the lower shelf if cut-offs from trailer doors (3/4 plywood with aluminum sheeting glued to each side). It started as a bench for working on my 1:1 car stuff, but since I don't do that much, it's been converted. About a week ago I realized it just wasn't big enough, so I put an old counter-top on it, now it's great!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...C/c235beac.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...C/100_3497.jpg

nitrosportsandrunner 06-14-2010 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: plasma 327

Very nice.. I am lucky enough to have a whole den to my self.. I have home built bar that i use for my Rc's..
well you need a whole den with all those RC, especially the 1/5 scale.

i have a rusty vxl, emaxx, losi strike and 3 differnt planes. plus many misc parts. thats about all i can fit in my room.

jakerz04 06-14-2010 04:21 PM

prestonlal, hey man i like the subaru can you tell me about it, maybe a link to a website saying everything about it. Does it do good drifter or rally (or both, just by making suspention changes and tires)
AlienModified, thats what i was shooting for, i like it but when i built it in my gpas garage i forgot about the white shelf over mine now, so i had to take off the top section off my bench

AlienModified 06-14-2010 08:02 PM

If you want to extend the ends out, just go to the hardware store and get some L-brackets, mount those outward on the ends and put plywood on them with a couple screws. For me, no matter how organized I tried to be, I just didn't have the room I wanted. That and I was super bored waiting for parts for my trucks.

jermpool 06-14-2010 09:33 PM

Here is my work area. Its basicaly a closet. The area with the towel on it folds down. I have a flourescent light mounted underneath, a 4 foot surge protector on the side. Me and a friend of mine built the bench a few months ago, right before I got back into rc. So it was designed more for a general use work bench. Yes I know not very manly wallpaper but this is the last area on our remodel list that we are doing. It should be painted by Christmas...I hope.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/P1015482.jpg

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/P1015483.jpg

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/P1015484.jpg

jakerz04 06-15-2010 12:08 AM

dude thats cool, dont worry so much about the wall paper but its really cool, very nice settup... yeh i built mine in a period of 4 hours i mounted a floresent light underneath the white shelf that was already there also mounted a surge protecter to the bottom of it(i forgot to mention it in the above post) it has 6 or 7outlets on it , and i have the the bendy red light to get closer if necessary and i have the tv on the dresser(my setup still wasnt 100% set up in the pics) :D

jakerz04 06-15-2010 12:10 AM

dude thats cool, dont worry so much about the wall paper but its really cool, very nice settup... yeh i built mine in a period of 4 hours i mounted a floresent light underneath the white shelf that was already there also mounted a surge protecter to the bottom of it(i forgot to mention it in the above post) it has 6 or 7outlets on it , and i have the the bendy red light to get closer if necessary and i have the tv on the dresser(my setup still wasnt 100% set up in the pics) :D