Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Spektrum DX3.0 Range Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Truggy-Rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX3.0 Range Problem

Hi we have just bought a Hobao Hyper ST Truggy and it has Spektrum DX3.0 radio gear, we were told it will have "Out of sight" range, we have a rechargable 6 volt power pack in the car and I have checked it today and it has been fully charged and is 6.5 volts, the display on the TX says it is 11.3 volts now, but the range is only about 30 to 50 yards and then the car just rolls to a stand still, ( Hardly "Out of sight" Range ).
Can anyone throw any light on our little problem
Regards
Rod
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
jvictorfc

Default RE: Spektrum DX3.0 Range Problem

mate, unfortunatelly this is a well known problem which affected many dx3.0 transmitter, year ago I bought one from LHS and plim.. guess what, It came also with problem, I have done a big research, tryed to talk to spektrum and had no luck. It still stuck here and I am not as Spektrum to try to sell it this way. I still trying to find a solution but it seems impossible. I'll try to open that thing by myself and hopefully there is a simple problem that I can fix. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Car-Tune

Im having a problem with my Spectrum DX2. Its been fine till not too long ago it completly loses conection with my car. It must be the receiver because I turn off the radio and the servos will still vibrate just like when the radio was on and for some reason my failsafe will not stop the car.

i recharged all my batteries and no luck.

Any sugestions?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:09 PM
splcrazy

i have the dx3r , and same thing i wouldnt even dare try to make it go out of site , cos i done that once and it just stopped working , and my failsafe kicked in and shut the motor off , its just good for up and down the street or at a track , but rubbish if your trying to make the model go as far as the eye can see
Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 AM
shandy123

i purchased a dx3s 2 weeks ago and the range is pathetic,it runs my baja 5b ss as soon as i hit top speed around 65-70 mph i have to slow it down to make a turn or the engine cuts out as it is out of range.looks like it's heading for ebay and i'll try for something with a bit more range,any suggestions would help cheers
Old 10-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't sell a problematic radio to someone else, at least not without informing them. If they have a runaway that hurts someone or damages property or destroys their RC, it will be 100% your fault. MY best suggestion is to try a different receiver that is known to be good. I had a receiver that only did about 20m range (sr300), but my other receivers are fine. If it's the radio, then just throw it out and call it a lesson learned.

Don't understand why people still buy the low end spektrums when these are available for 25 quid...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
Old 10-29-2011, 04:07 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate Spektrum Radios........

We have been having range issues with these units for years... I have tried posting about this problem many times advising people not to buy this product, but unfortunately every time I did the fanboys would jump down my throat.......

want to solve the problem ? stop buying Spektrum products.....they are junk and the manufacture knows there is a range issue, but because people keep buying them the manufacturer see's no reason to fix the issue...they don't care about you the end user, the only time they will car is if their sales drop...if sales drop bad enough they will definitely fix the issue............... But once again thank the fanboys who promoted this product !!! they keep the corporation healthy at the expense of the end user.....

In the end Spektrum make junk radios....JR makes junk servos.......
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 AM
shandy123

well thanks for that little gem,the radio is not faulty it just has a range issue.reading all the data from other users it appears this is a fault with this spectrum radio that is ongoing,perhaps spectrum will refund my money lol,just another case of i've got your money now the problem is yours,which brings me to the original question can anyone recommend a radio with a good distance 200 meters plus?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: shandy123

well thanks for that little gem,the radio is not faulty it just has a range issue.reading all the data from other users it appears this is a fault with this spectrum radio that is ongoing,perhaps spectrum will refund my money lol,just another case of i've got your money now the problem is yours,which brings me to the original question can anyone recommend a radio with a good distance 200 meters plus?

Airtronics MT4
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM
shandy123

contacted spectrum uk and explained the problem,the answer is quite simple extend the AE,so i did approx 10" in total cured the problem can now run at least 200 yards ran out of running space so i don't know how much farther it will go, total cost £1.00 cheap solution
Old 01-12-2012, 03:03 PM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: shandy123

contacted spectrum uk and explained the problem,the answer is quite simple extend the AE,so i did approx 10'' in total cured the problem can now run at least 200 yards ran out of running space so i don't know how much farther it will go, total cost £1.00 cheap solution
Spektrum told you to lengthen the rx antenna? Did they tell you to do 10"? That's not the right length for the frequency.

I've been debating about trying a longer antenna with my Spektrum RX's. The old receivers had a longer antenna, 8.5" long, and Spektrum said you could cut it to 3.6" long for easier installation. The new ones have a 3.6" antenna from the factory, but it should work fine to put an 8.5" antenna on it. It's just really hard for me to take my soldering iron to a $100 receiver lol.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:43 PM
X Rated
My Feedback: (1)

You need to checkthe inside of yourreceiver for any magnetic soil in the unit itself,mostly those buggies,trucks and smashers.This dirt will magnetize to your chips,diodes,regulators and such will effect the RF signal from the transmitter that is trying to make a pulse code modulation signal back to the receiver end.If there is no sign of dirt or magnetized soil or dirt, if you do see magnetized soil,use an air compressor with and asafety googles and blow out the particles in it,then check your receiver antenna connection where is is soldered.If that looks good,check your connection from all your ESC and steering servo.If that looks good,then I would suggest using a seperate battery supply (BEC) to the receiver instead from the main battery as the supplier to it.Now those that have carbon fiber bottom pans,must take note that static's can be present from the carbon fiber plates,if no carbon fiber pan,then check your transmitter power level,even if it even if it was charge for a long time,allways check every 2 minutes on the transmitter power, as it my have a bad battery cell maybe. Now my opinion on 2.4 mhz radio's version's isnot my cup of tea.The wide 2.4 spread spectrum radio's of the frequencies is so so,due to alot of RF in the air that uses 2.4 mhz frequencies from broadband signals from other sources of appliances nearby...........Then you have cell phones and microwave RF signals towers of commercial nearby can also effect your 2.4 signal. Those cell phone repeaters do send out high power RF signals that is close to the frequency of the radio.Then those big power lines in the area will effect your radio.........Remember now,with the newer 2.4 mhz radio's ,this units are in the micro wave frequency band waves......On the antenna lenght,I've never heard of 10" or 8.5"long,when this are too long,they will pickup unwanted signals to your receiver end......2.4 mhz are only a couple of inches long,maybe your rado is in the 75 mhz......you didn't mention it what band it was on..........If all does not pertain the problem,then you need to send out you radio system back to the manufacture and have them recalibrate and check the RF signals from the transmitter and receiver.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: X Rated

You need to check the inside of your receiver for any magnetic soil in the unit itself,mostly those buggies,trucks and smashers.This dirt will magnetize to your chips,diodes,regulators and such will effect the RF signal from the transmitter that is trying to make a pulse code modulation signal back to the receiver end.If there is no sign of dirt or magnetized soil or dirt, if you do see magnetized soil,use an air compressor with and a safety googles and blow out the particles in it,then check your receiver antenna connection where is is soldered.If that looks good,check your connection from all your ESC and steering servo.If that looks good,then I would suggest using a seperate battery supply ( BEC) to the receiver instead from the main battery as the supplier to it.Now those that have carbon fiber bottom pans,must take note that static's can be present from the carbon fiber plates,if no carbon fiber pan,then check your transmitter power level,even if it even if it was charge for a long time,allways check every 2 minutes on the transmitter power, as it my have a bad battery cell maybe. Now my opinion on 2.4 mhz radio's version's is not my cup of tea.The wide 2.4 spread spectrum radio's of the frequencies is so so,due to alot of RF in the air that uses 2.4 mhz frequencies from broadband signals from other sources of appliances nearby...........Then you have cell phones and microwave RF signals towers of commercial nearby can also effect your 2.4 signal. Those cell phone repeaters do send out high power RF signals that is close to the frequency of the radio.Then those big power lines in the area will effect your radio.........Remember now,with the newer 2.4 mhz radio's ,this units are in the micro wave frequency band waves......On the antenna lenght,I've never heard of 10'' or 8.5''long,when this are too long,they will pickup unwanted signals to your receiver end......2.4 mhz are only a couple of inches long,maybe your rado is in the 75 mhz......you didn't mention it what band it was on..........If all does not pertain the problem,then you need to send out you radio system back to the manufacture and have them recalibrate and check the RF signals from the transmitter and receiver.
All Spektrum radios are 2.4GHz. I'm not sure of the exact frequencies they use, but for 2.4GHz a full wave antenna would be about 4.92 inches. The older Spektrum RX's had an 8.5" antenna (don't ask me why) and the manual said you could cut them down to 3.6" if you wanted a shorter antenna for a cleaner installation. The newer RX's come with the shorter antenna from the factory. Spektrum radios are known to have poor range and many people have trouble with it.

Look at the antenna length in the specs for the SR3001 RX [link=http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM1205]here[/link].

Also look at pages 9-10 of the manual [link=http://spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/DSM_Instructions_v5p1.pdf]here[/link].
Old 05-10-2015, 05:48 PM
buckbanzai55

hello folks!
I know i am a little late to the thread but better late than never. I recently modded one of my dx3.0's with a 3.3v switching voltage regulator (which btw almost tripled my battery life) and a new backup battery and after I reassembled i now had this range issue. I was beyond perplexed since I am a world class veteran at this sort of thing. I disassembled/reassembled a dozen times with no luck whatsoever. I read every thread on the problem and since every expert out here would bet their first child on it being an antenna issue, I finally decided to run this little test... with the controller disassembled, I pulled the extra antenna wire in the transmitter as far from the boards as possible, powered it up and set it on the mail box. I started walking with receiver... and walking.... and walking.... guess what, problem gone! Reassembled with careful placement/suspension of antenna wire and cardboard insulators. problem solved!