Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Using a 3s lipo to power a dc charger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Using a 3s lipo to power a dc charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
lil-bump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a 3s lipo to power a dc charger

Just want some views on using a 3s 10000mah Lipo battery(maybe parallel 2 of them) as a portable dc power source for my triton II charger. Do you think this is feasable? I'm currently using a 12 vdc tractor battery; but that thing is getting pretty heavy. I only run nitro outdoors so a 120vac power supply does me no good. I can get some faily cheap 3s lipos @10000 mah from China for about $65.00 shipped but this will be more expensive than what I'm currently using; but I would save a ton of weight.

Pass you soon...
Old 03-15-2011, 01:08 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Using a 3s lipo to power a dc charger

Hi, welcome to RCU. That's a good idea and should work just fine. You may find that you only need 1 especially if your doing small charging jobs at the field.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 PM
lil-bump

My biggest load would be my starterbox batteries @ 3300 mah x 2 the rest are faily small. I could go with one 3s lipo @ 10000mah. the cost of my current setup is about $30.00. I'm also leary of placing an order in far east because of the stuff going on in Japan.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 AM
mudbucket72

if you have a 12  adapter that plugs into your cigarette lighter port you could simply use that.. or just pop your hood and use your car battery... or lol get a dc power converter . you could get one to meet your need for probly about 15 to 20$
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
lil-bump

Those are good options; but I would like to charge right at my pit table. It just makes things so much easier. Thanks for the reply.

Pass you soon...

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM
mudbucket72

i have one more idea... one of those portable  car battery chargers  their pretty light weight and could probly give you quite a few charges off of one of its charges
Old 04-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Voodoo Steve

I use a portable jump box , it has a lighter plug and my buddy and I can charge all day off of it, cost me $10 bucks at a rummage sale.......
Old 04-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Hoese37

The less available voltaget the charger has, the more current it will pull. This is not the bst idea due to the fact that you need something to power the charger, and a 10A source for 1 hour wont cut it. If your gonna spend $65, spend it on a power supply and a extension cord.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
lil-bump

The power supply is a no-go unless I buy a portable generator. There is no 120vac available at the track. I'll stick with my small tractor battery.