Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

"Universal" Transmistter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
lshacke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Universal" Transmistter?

I'm a true newbie. I'm thinking about getting a cheaperRTR Electric Truck, like maybe the Traxxas Ruslter XL-5. Is it possible to get a transmitter that can control any car you get? Maybe if you buy a replacement receiver for each car you want to use it with? Maybe just direct me to a forum or informational site where I can get info to help me understand? Any replies are appreicated.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

Yes, you can get whatever radio/receiver you want for your car(s), but it has to be a computer one so you can have one model memory for each car. You can however make it with a non-computer one, but then you have to adjust the radio and all its controls each time you are going to drive another car. I guess you don't want that!

The Rustler is a nice car, and it comes with a radio in the kit. But i see any radio that has written AM on it as an hazard, so i would have looked for the one with 2,4 ghz with the kit. But i guess this one is only included in the VXL-kit, and not the XL-5.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:37 PM
lshacke

Default RE: RE:

Thanks. I think the VXL kit is about $150 more, but maybe that's because of the 2.4 ghz transmitter? Would it be better for me to go ahead and spend the extra $$ for the kit with the 2.4 ghz transmitter, then I'd be able to use it with additional vehicles if I get them? Would it only work with Traxxas cars? Are there other benefits to the 2.4 ghz transmitter? Again, thanks for your reply and for any additional information anyone can provide.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the more advanced radiosystem, the brushless setup ups the price aswell in the VXL-kit. This radio is not a computerradio, but you can buy additional receivers for it. But i think this has got to be a Traxxas-receiver, it is not as "easy" any longer as it was before; if you had an FM or AM-radio, you could just go ahead and buy whatever brand-receiver for it and put the chrystal in it and it would work.

I guess the 2,4 ghz radio will be easy to sell (atleast easier than the AM one) if you want to buy a new and more advanced computer radio, the AM is very difficult to sell and you will get close to nothing for it from my own experiences. Too bad they don't offer cars without radios for us who want to use our own.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM
20Q

Default RE:

You can go with the non brushless setup. The XL5 is pretty good. Some people, new to RC, sometimes find the power generated by the brushless models to be intimidating. You can always upgrade to brushless at a later time. Most brushless systems will also require using Lipo packs, which can be confusing for a newbie. If you decide to upgrade to brushless, I think the Dynamite Fuze can use Nimh or Lipos.

You can use the $$ you saveon on the non brushless model to get a good 2.4 Ghz radio. The radio will be less susceptible to interference and will give you a better range.

Checkout some of the online stores like r2hobbies.com, hobbyking.com etc. I personally use the Eurgle 3 ch on my Pede and VillainEx from R2hobbies. The radio can store up to 8 models. Wish I can control my tank with it too LOL.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 20Q

You can go with the non brushless setup. The XL5 is pretty good. Some people, new to RC, sometimes find the power generated by the brushless models to be intimidating. You can always upgrade to brushless at a later time. Most brushless systems will also require using Lipo packs, which can be confusing for a newbie. If you decide to upgrade to brushless, I think the Dynamite Fuze can use Nimh or Lipos.

You can use the $$ you saveon on the non brushless model to get a good 2.4 Ghz radio. The radio will be less susceptible to interference and will give you a better range.

Checkout some of the online stores like r2hobbies.com, hobbyking.com etc. I personally use the Eurgle 3 ch on my Pede and VillainEx from R2hobbies. The radio can store up to 8 models. Wish I can control my tank with it too LOL.
you can get it on hobbypartz.com way cheaper than shipping from Hong Kong they also have every flysky(the eurgle is a re-brand) model pretty much made now