Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A radio for beginner?

Hi all, new to RC here. What do you suggest is a good radio for a beginner? I am building my on road Tamiya TT01E kit right now and am looking to just do fun runs in empty parking lots. Racing may come later down the road. I've seen on other forums about Flysky Gt3b and Gt3c... any good?

Thanks!

RE: A radio for beginner?

The gt-3b is a good beginner radio with lots of options. The gt-3c had problems with the power button.
    Exceed MadBeast
    iMex Renegade and ECX Smash

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GT2 is also good as it is a very basic radio and can be had for under $22

one thing with tamiya ESC's you WILL need a UBEC they cost like $5-10 (depending on brand)
    you will have to disconnect on the servo plug of the ESC the red wire (cut it or pop it out and tape it) then plug the UBEC into the double wire coming out of the ESC(the UBEC might or might not have the proper plug), and plug the servo plug into the battery spot on the receiver. If this is not done the receiver will blow out in short order due to the tamiya TEU104BK ESC's not having a built in BEC(which every modern ESC on the market I know of has built in...).

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ub2liin.html (use this in my tamiya hornet that has the same ESC the TT01e has)
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-6v-3a-ubec.html no clue on this never tried it personally.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the replies.

What is UBEC and BEC? I have a Tamiya ESC that came with the kit (TEU 101bk). However, I did not pay attention to this and went out to a shop and bought a Dynamite Tazer 12t waterproof ESC (recommended by the guy, also had to get a Tamiya adapter plug - Total~ $68). Which of these is better to keep, saying if I did go and get the Flysky GT2/3b/3c?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The receiver is powered from either the esc or a separate battery.
    Traxxas Slash - AE SC10FT - HPI Baja SC - Axial scaler - Axial Wraith -Aeromarine Avenger Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lhmai

Thanks for the replies.

What is UBEC and BEC? *I have a Tamiya ESC that came with the kit (TEU 101bk). * However, I did not pay attention to this and went out to a shop and bought a Dynamite Tazer 12t waterproof ESC (recommended by the guy, also had to get a Tamiya adapter plug - Total~ $68). *Which of these is better to keep, saying if I did go and get the Flysky GT2/3b/3c?
    tazer I think has a bec built in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

The receiver is powered from either the esc or a separate battery.
    and?
    in the TEU104bk's case the ESC sends FULL battery power to the receiver which back when it was made the receivers had BEC's built in, but since the ESC's started putting them in and radio manufacturers stopped. The FS radios operate on 6 volts a UBEC drops the voltage down to 6 volts. I've known quite a few ppl on these forums that plugged the teu104 into a FS RX, and they thought the RX was defective they did what I said and never had an issue since.

The TEU101bk also doesn't have a BEC from what I read (off the 103, and 105 do though)

The tazer according to Dynamites site has a BEC so if the OP uses it no external BEC will be needed(and it will be a lot easier to wire)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

and?
    in the TEU104bk's case the ESC sends FULL battery power to the receiver which back when it was made the receivers had BEC's built in, but since the ESC's started putting them in and radio manufacturers stopped. The FS radios operate on 6 volts a UBEC drops the voltage down to 6 volts. I've known quite a few ppl on these forums that plugged the teu104 into a FS RX, and they thought the RX was defective they did what I said and never had an issue since.

The TEU101bk also doesn't have a BEC from what I read (off the 103, and 105 do though)

The tazer according to Dynamites site has a BEC so if the OP uses it no external BEC will be needed(and it will be a lot easier to wire)

So my best bet is to go with the Tazer and get a FS radio? That way I don't have to purchase a UBEC to hook up to the TEU (btw, do UBECs require a separate battery charger? It looks like they have a battery on them, but I'm not sure).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

and?

So my best bet is to go with the Tazer and get a FS radio? That way I don't have to purchase a UBEC to hook up to the TEU (btw, do UBECs require a separate battery charger? It looks like they have a battery on them, but I'm not sure). *

no they don't require a separate charger as they plug into the ESC's other lead, and pull power from the battery you use to power the ESC.

Side note someone said in another thread they e-mailed tactic, and they said all their Tactic radios all have BEC's built in so that might be another option (I can not guarantee the validity of the info as it was from another forum member)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all, new to RC here. What do you suggest is a good radio for a beginner? I am building my on road Tamiya TT01E kit right now and am looking to just do fun runs in empty parking lots. Racing may come later down the road. I've seen on other forums about Flysky Gt3b and Gt3c... any good?

Thanks!
    For a beginner I'd definitely go for the gt-3b! Never heard of any problems to be honest
    mot cost

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try  ACME Mighty 1/8thScale Nitro Truggy. I have this i and just love this. The ACME Mighty is afully built, fully equipped, 1/8 scale off-road truggy, and comes with manyenhanced features to this fantastic model is really a special model and reallybest for beginners.