Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Spend $300 on Radio. Futaba 4PL, Spektrum DX3R, Airtronics MT4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Spend $300 on Radio. Futaba 4PL, Spektrum DX3R, Airtronics MT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:33 AM
AMaskedMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spend $300 on Radio. Futaba 4PL, Spektrum DX3R, Airtronics MT4

I am looking to get back into RC Racing. I want to spend a maximum of $300 on a radio. These 3 radios are from industry standards Futaba 4PL, Spektrum DX3R, Airtronics MT4. I am leaning towards the spectrum as I think it probably has the lowest latency. The feature sets are probably identical. All three have telemetry, which is nice, but I wont be using it right away. I do not prefer the build in antenna of the DX4S. You cant shorten an antenna and change the angle without affecting range.

Any advice?

The FlySky radios look interesting, but I have not seen a single review that covers latency and such. I don't think they are race ready.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm always curiously amused when people talk about latency. Every RC radio ever made is 'fast' enough for any level of racing. I've used maybe 20 radios in my time with the hobby and could not tell you which was the fastest or slowest, or even discern any difference between them.

I'm a Futaba/Spektrum user (3PK HRS with Spektrum Pro module). I cannot recommend Spektrum. I've had nothing but issues with their stuff, which, more fool me, I continue to use. I am looking for my next radio soon too, as the 3pk is nearly ten years old now, though still working perfectly, making it difficult to justify a switch that would involve an expensive radio and at least 8 compatible receivers, however, I can say with a good degree of certainty, that I am pretty sure I'll be picking up a Futaba 4PLS in the not too distant future. Why? Because I've never had a single problem, either to do with longevity, quality or fitness for purpose, with ANYTHING made by Futaba. Add to that you can choose from a range of receivers of varying cost depending what your needs are, but more importantly, the basic FHSS receiver (forget model name, you'll find it) is compatible, which would be fine for most of my vehicles (I too have no immediate or urgent use for telemetry), and can be found on ebay for $30 each.

Sanwa stuff is good (Airtronics is Sanwa in the US for some reason, btw), but I'd (and I will soon) go with the Futaba without even a second thought.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Johnnysplits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Futaba...done